Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ps124
    • By ps124 19th Jun 19, 6:17 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 14Thanks
    ps124
    Hit and run advice
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:17 PM
    Hit and run advice 19th Jun 19 at 6:17 PM
    Hi All,

My wife was involved in a hit and run today. Some car hit her from behind on a roundabout. She got out to exchange details and take pictures but the driver of the other car asked if they could pull over at the next exit to exchange details. The next thing she knows is the driver sped off and she wasn't able to get the number plate or any details.

It was a mistake on her part but she was a bit shook up and because it was on a roundabout at peak traffic time, she tried to be helpful by moving the car and allowing other drivers to pass. Anyway, the damage to the car isn't much, a few scratches etc but annoyed the other driver's behavior.

Do I just log a police report and will they use CCTV to provide the other drivers details? Also, if I inform my insurance company, does this mean her insurance premium will go up. I'm thinking that if we could do the police report and at least tell our insurance company, that would be ok. I don't think we'll claim and repair unless the driver is caught and we can make the claim against his insurance. I just dont want her insurance premium to go up.

Please advise? Not happened before...not sure what to do.
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 19th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 12,034 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    Her insurance may go up from other factors outside of the policy , eg insurance tax.
    You can/should perhaps report the incident.
    There maybe footage there maybe not.
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 19th Jun 19, 6:41 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:41 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:41 PM
    Hi All,

My wife was involved in a hit and run today. Some car hit her from behind on a roundabout. She got out to exchange details and take pictures but the driver of the other car asked if they could pull over at the next exit to exchange details. The next thing she knows is the driver sped off and she wasn't able to get the number plate or any details.

It was a mistake on her part but she was a bit shook up and because it was on a roundabout at peak traffic time, she tried to be helpful by moving the car and allowing other drivers to pass. Anyway, the damage to the car isn't much, a few scratches etc but annoyed the other driver's behavior.

Do I just log a police report and will they use CCTV to provide the other drivers details? Also, if I inform my insurance company, does this mean her insurance premium will go up. I'm thinking that if we could do the police report and at least tell our insurance company, that would be ok. I don't think we'll claim and repair unless the driver is caught and we can make the claim against his insurance. I just dont want her insurance premium to go up.

Please advise? Not happened before...not sure what to do.
    Originally posted by ps124
    In all honesty probably not. They'll take the report and tell you without a reg number there are no further enquiries and file it.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 19th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    She should report the matter to the police as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours (it can be done online). Road Traffic Act S170 makes this clear.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 19th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    The chance of finding who did it are remote and you say the damage is fairly minor.

Annoying as it is, I think I would chalk it up to experience and not bother reporting it to anybody.
    • ps124
    • By ps124 19th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    ps124
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    The damage is so little, I think it's only worth reporting to the insurance company if the police find the footage and the number plate. The majority seem to think this is unlikely? So even if she reports it to the insurance company, but we decide not to claim, does that mean I always have to answer the involved in an accident in the last 3 years questions and no doubt, the premium would go up regardless of whether we claimed or not?
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 19th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    The damage is so little, I think it's only worth reporting to the insurance company if the police find the footage and the number plate. The majority seem to think this is unlikely? So even if she reports it to the insurance company, but we decide not to claim, does that mean I always have to answer the involved in an accident in the last 3 years questions and no doubt, the premium would go up regardless of whether we claimed or not?
    How do you think you have to answer it?
    • ps124
    • By ps124 19th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    ps124
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    *answer yes to the "have you been involved in an accident in the last 3 years". Even though its not her fault, assuming the premium will go up.
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 19th Jun 19, 7:51 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:51 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:51 PM
    *answer yes to the "have you been involved in an accident in the last 3 years". Even though its not her fault, assuming the premium will go up.
    They could go up, they may even go down too many variables to say.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 20th Jun 19, 6:09 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Scrapit
    If your not reporting it why would you answer yes to the insurers?
    • Kate/Bob
    • By Kate/Bob 20th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 5,466 Thanks
    Kate/Bob
    If it was a busy roundabout someone else may have dashcam footage or the other vehicle's reg and may have reported it to the police.

Many years ago I saw a drive off from an accident and got the reg. The driver who was hit raced off after the other vehicle so I couldn't pass my info on. On the off chance he didn't catch up or remember the reg I passed my info onto the police that night. They'd already had a report from the hit driver and used my report to verify the reg of the drive off, who apparently admitted t it when approached.
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Jun 19, 1:14 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    To avoid having your insurance voided later on if you accidentally admit it?
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right. Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community... -Winston Churchill 1961
    The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 20th Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    Because they don't ask you if you have had 'any claims' they ask you if you have had 'any accidents or claims' so to say no would be lying and they could potentially use it as a means to not payout when you hit that really expensive car!
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 0/500
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 20th Jun 19, 4:08 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    mojo1
    Also invest in a 2 channel dashcam.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Jun 19, 4:09 PM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    DoaM
    they could potentially use it as a means to not payout when you hit that really expensive car!
    Originally posted by chunkytfg
    No they couldn't ... any claim that 3rd party might have would still be valid. They wouldn't need to pay out on the insured party's vehicle in such circumstances, and they'd also have the option to sue the insured party for the 3rd party costs, but they couldn't reject the 3rd party's claim.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

397Posts Today

4,583Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin