Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • androidguy
    • By androidguy 20th Jun 19, 1:14 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    androidguy
    Cheap Tow Car To Hire?
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:14 PM
    Cheap Tow Car To Hire? 20th Jun 19 at 1:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice, please.

Our car has just failed its MoT. It might be too expensive to repair. We are due to go on holiday in August, taking our caravan to Europe.

The ideal thing for us would be to hire a good tow car for when we are on holiday. Something like a Nissan Xtrail or a Kia Sorento. It doesn't have to be flash. It would need a towbar.

Where can I look to hire a tow car for a good price, please?

Thanks,

John
Page 1
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 20th Jun 19, 1:16 PM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:16 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:16 PM
    Doubt you will find a cheap hire car if your travelling to Europe. Try your local hire car companys and ask about Europe travel then if they have a tow bar and if they will allow you to take your caravan.

Why might it be too expensive for you to repair? Have you got a quote for the works?
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 20th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 1,999 Posts
    • 4,952 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    Maybe too specific a query for many people here to know the answer, I advise registering on a caravanning forum (haven't a clue which one but I'm sure there must be a few about) and asking there.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 20th Jun 19, 3:18 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    loskie
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:18 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:18 PM
    you may just be cheaper to hire a motorhome
    • marlot
    • By marlot 20th Jun 19, 8:13 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    marlot
    • 20th Jun 19, 8:13 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 8:13 PM
    You might find some ideas here: https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/52397-hiring-cars-with-a-tow-bar/
    • Begsey
    • By Begsey 20th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Begsey
    • 20th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    What weight is the caravan?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 20th Jun 19, 9:55 PM
    • 9,794 Posts
    • 9,322 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 20th Jun 19, 9:55 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 9:55 PM
    If you're doing a longish trip in Europe it might just be cheaper to buy something else to do the towing.

It might also be worth looking at commercial hire places as they will be more likely to have things with towbars, though it's more likely to be a pick-up or a big SUV.

What's your plan for replacing the current tow car if the current one isn't a viable repair?
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 21st Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Scrapit
    • 21st Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 21st Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    How expensive a repair cos the hire of a vehicle for that sort of time period is probbably gonna be more.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 21st Jun 19, 6:10 AM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 21st Jun 19, 6:10 AM
    • 21st Jun 19, 6:10 AM
    I don't have the answer, but it does raise an interesting question, if a tow-bar is an essential addition to your car (especially with a caravanning holiday on the horizon)

I'm thinking from an Insurance point of view, if you had an accident, and you have courtesy car cover whilst your vehicle was being repaired. Even in that circumstance, I bet they'd be hard pushed to find you a like for like car, with a tow-bar. I doubt many car hire firms have many (if any) vehicles in their fleets with tow-bars.

Like someone else mentioned, you'd be better contacting the Caravan Club, or posting on a more niche forum.

Good luck, and if you find a solution, please let us know what it was.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 21st Jun 19, 3:56 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Scrapit
    I don't have the answer, but it does raise an interesting question, if a tow-bar is an essential addition to your car (especially with a caravanning holiday on the horizon)

I'm thinking from an Insurance point of view, if you had an accident, and you have courtesy car cover whilst your vehicle was being repaired. Even in that circumstance, I bet they'd be hard pushed to find you a like for like car, with a tow-bar. I doubt many car hire firms have many (if any) vehicles in their fleets with tow-bars.

Like someone else mentioned, you'd be better contacting the Caravan Club, or posting on a more niche forum.

Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Green flag through the CC will certainly get you a suitable towcar as a replacement.
    Last edited by Scrapit; 22-06-2019 at 1:04 PM.
    • Jakg
    • By Jakg 21st Jun 19, 9:22 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Jakg

Originally posted by Sea Shell
    I think you'd be surprised - and even at a push a "commercial" rental place would have loads of crew-cab pickups with towbars.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 21st Jun 19, 9:37 PM
    • 9,794 Posts
    • 9,322 Thanks
    Herzlos
    And then causing a potential new dilemma - a crew-cab pickup will likely push new drivers over weight limits for towing. On the 1997-2015 (i think) license, you're limited to 3500kg max car + max caravan. So could get away with something like an Astra with a GVW of 2100kg and a 1400kg caravan and be fine, but if the only thing you could get was a Navara crew-cab with a GVW of 3100kg then you're going to be 1000kg over weight.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 22nd Jun 19, 7:23 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    loskie
    licence

as in a driving licence
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 22nd Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    • 9,794 Posts
    • 9,322 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Good for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,107Posts Today

7,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin