PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Real first time buyer rates

2»

Comments

• Depends on LTV and length of product.

We've got a 5 year fix at 1.9% with a LTV of 73.5% - just about to exchange, mortgage was offered to us in April.

I did a search the other day and some companies are offering as low as 1.84% for 5 year fix or 1.39% on a 2 year fix for LTV of 73.5%

We we were advised that rates are applied at 5% intervals i.e.

94.9% - 90%;
    89.9% - 85%,
    84.9% -80%
    79.9%-75%
    74.9% - 70%

etc etc

Worth trying to scrape together as much as you can to get into the lower LTV band if possible.
  • Stultus
    Stultus Posts: 12 Forumite
    Don’t forget that a lower rate isn’t always a cheaper product. For example if you have one with a large fee this can end up being more expensive even if it’s a lower rate. I’d recommend using a whole of market mortgage broker (like London and country) or at least look at the MSE mortgage best buys and order them by ‘MSE total cost assessment’ to see which is actually the best deal.

As others have mentioned, if a bank is willing to lend to you then you’ll get the stated rate. I’d definitely recommend discussing with a broker if you have any reason to think you might not be accepted by a lender though.
  • The other good thing about a broker is that they take the stress out of sorting a new product at the end of fixed period before it moves onto higher standard rates automatically. They should get in touch with you well in advance with the options available to you at the time.
  • joshp1993
    joshp1993 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Also a first time buyer and will be using the Help To Buy Equity Loan scheme (so our deposit is 5% then the Government's is 20%), and got a 5 year fix at 2.13% (could've been 2.02% but wanted one without a fee just in case anything went wrong!).
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Hmm... 5% LTV difference makes such a big impact on interest rate?

On a 90% mortgage the amount of deposit the you're putting down is 100% more than on a 95% mortgage (i.e. double). It's not 'just' a 5% difference in LTV!
  • bopsybunny
    bopsybunny Posts: 109 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    90% LTV on 5 year fix at 2.49% with no fees, in Dec 2018. Could have got lower rates, but with fees they would have cost more over the fixed period.
    Wedding savings Jan 19: £1.4k. Sept 19: £7.5k. Mar 20: £12.6k
    Goal: Pay for wedding by August 2020 <3
  • casper_g wrote: »
    On a 90% mortgage the amount of deposit the you're putting down is 100% more than on a 95% mortgage (i.e. double). It's not 'just' a 5% difference in LTV!

You know... it is 100% more from my point of view but our property price is £255k, at the moment we have 5% deposit and if we go to 10% deposit, it will be just 5.3% less money to lend from Bank's perspective.

It is what it is however I'm really surprised with such a big difference. From £1100 to £900 per month is a huge difference.

I hope that after 2 years when I pay off 5% of the balance I will get such a low rates
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You know... it is 100% more from my point of view but our property price is £255k, at the moment we have 5% deposit and if we go to 10% deposit, it will be just 5.3% less money to lend from Bank's perspective.

It is what it is however I'm really surprised with such a big difference. From £1100 to £900 per month is a huge difference.

I hope that after 2 years when I pay off 5% of the balance I will get such a low rates
    The thing is, it's a secured loan. If you don't pay the money back, they sell your house.
    Imagine how much easier it would be for them to get £180k than £190k for a house worth £200k. That's the difference you're paying for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure