Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ShandyAndy
    • By ShandyAndy 17th Jun 19, 9:35 PM
    • 223Posts
    • 46Thanks
    ShandyAndy
    Losing will to live with car
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:35 PM
    Losing will to live with car 17th Jun 19 at 9:35 PM
    Had my Kia ceed for 9 months now,2012 1.6 crdi , since Iíve had it itís been bill after bill, latest one is itís at the garage currently with a snapped glow plug in the head🤬, I just canít seem to go a couple of months without it costing me an arm and a leg, wish Iíd never bought it, donít know what to do , donít want to go down the finance route but if I did change it donít want anything any older, shouldíve just bought a boggo 1.6 petrol Astra!
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 17th Jun 19, 9:45 PM
    • 12,033 Posts
    • 6,798 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:45 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:45 PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking here.
    • ShandyAndy
    • By ShandyAndy 17th Jun 19, 9:52 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    ShandyAndy
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:52 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:52 PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking here.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    Looking for inspiration, feel like Iím tossing money into a deep black hole and itís depressing me.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 17th Jun 19, 9:56 PM
    • 12,033 Posts
    • 6,798 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:56 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:56 PM
    Looking for inspiration, feel like Iím tossing money into a deep black hole and itís depressing me.
    Originally posted by ShandyAndy
    I have no experience of owning a KIA, in another thread today someone was boasting about the standard 5yr unlimited mileage warranty.
    However which garage are you taking it to? Is it an official KIA or joe soap around the corner cos he's supposed to be cheap?
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 18th Jun 19, 2:07 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 18th Jun 19, 2:07 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 2:07 AM
    It used to be 7 years before wasn't it.
    • ShandyAndy
    • By ShandyAndy 18th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    ShandyAndy
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    Local garage which is very good, feel I’m in too deep with it now to get rid, just have to pray nothing else goes.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 18th Jun 19, 8:04 AM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    marlot
    • 18th Jun 19, 8:04 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 8:04 AM
    It used to be 7 years before wasn't it.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    It still is. 7 years/100,000 miles.

Hyundai (Kia's half-brother) is 5 years unlimited miles.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 18th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 1,569 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 18th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    Join a Kia forum and get valuable help and advice.
    • UncleZen
    • By UncleZen 18th Jun 19, 12:41 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    UncleZen
    • 18th Jun 19, 12:41 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 12:41 PM
    A 2012 Ceed's 7 yr warranty will almost be up.

I had a Ceed for 5 years and it was probably the best car Ive owned (at the time), it went wrong a few times prior to it being 4 years old, and Kia fixed it under warranty, no quibble, after 4 years, it never seemed to go wrong!
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 18th Jun 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    A 2012 and it was probably the best car Ive owned (at the time), it went wrong a few times prior to it being 4 years old, and Kia fixed it under warranty, no quibble, after 4 years, it never seemed to go wrong!
    Originally posted by UncleZen

If it never seemed to go wrong and was the best car you have owned, why -

"it went wrong a few times prior to it being 4 years old"
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Jun 19, 12:50 PM
    • 23,395 Posts
    • 22,372 Thanks
    AdrianC
    A 2012 Ceed's 7 yr warranty will almost be up.
    Or could have expired 5 months ago.
    Or could have expired on mileage a while back.
    Or could have been voided by a late service.
    • ShandyAndy
    • By ShandyAndy 18th Jun 19, 5:45 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    ShandyAndy
    123,000 miles on clock
    • UncleZen
    • By UncleZen 20th Jun 19, 12:28 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    UncleZen
    If it never seemed to go wrong and was the best car you have owned, why -"
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    because it drove well and went round corners well, accellerated well, had good fuel economy, was quite spacious. And when it did go wrong Kia fixed it for free.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 22nd Jun 19, 12:04 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    because it drove well and went round corners well, accellerated well, had good fuel economy, was quite spacious. And when it did go wrong Kia fixed it for free.

You pay for the warranty, it's factored into the price of the car. So you paid for the repair.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 22nd Jun 19, 8:06 AM
    • 18,901 Posts
    • 11,701 Thanks
    motorguy
    Had my Kia ceed for 9 months now,2012 1.6 crdi , since I’ve had it it’s been bill after bill, latest one is it’s at the garage currently with a snapped glow plug in the head��, I just can’t seem to go a couple of months without it costing me an arm and a leg, wish I’d never bought it, don’t know what to do , don’t want to go down the finance route but if I did change it don’t want anything any older, should’ve just bought a boggo 1.6 petrol Astra!
    Originally posted by ShandyAndy
    What other faults have you been having?

With those miles and that age, maybe the previous owner knew there'd be bills upcoming and got rid
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 22nd Jun 19, 9:02 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    What other faults have you been having?

With those miles and that age, maybe the previous owner knew there'd be bills upcoming and got rid
    Originally posted by motorguy

Parts are manufactured to last at least the warranty period. With smart computer software they can pretty accurately do virtual stress test on components and work out how long it will last, and know the cost different between making it last for 3 years and making it last for 5 years.

It's no wonder that things break down just after warranty when they've been working so reliably up til that point.

They're not cheating you, theyre making the car as cheap as possible for you and cutting costs whereever they can.
    Last edited by seatbeltnoob; 22-06-2019 at 9:06 AM.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 22nd Jun 19, 11:36 AM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    One thing's certain, if you have a vehicle you're always going to have your hand ion your pocket, and need to expect bigger bills from time to time during your time motoring.
    Looks at it this way OP, if the rest of the car is in decent nick, and it runs well in general, then everything you get done is one thing less to go wrong in the near future. Hopefully at least!
    But there are no guarantees, at least not once vehicles are out of the warranty period. Any vehicle can break down expensively at any time. Most don't thankfully. . .
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 22nd Jun 19, 11:44 AM
    • 18,901 Posts
    • 11,701 Thanks
    motorguy
    Parts are manufactured to last at least the warranty period. With smart computer software they can pretty accurately do virtual stress test on components and work out how long it will last, and know the cost different between making it last for 3 years and making it last for 5 years.

It's no wonder that things break down just after warranty when they've been working so reliably up til that point.

They're not cheating you, theyre making the car as cheap as possible for you and cutting costs whereever they can.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Yup. You're preaching to the converted.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 22nd Jun 19, 12:44 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    Go car DIY, subscribe to some Kia YouTube uploaders, hint how do you change glow nuts: google, yahoo or duckduck it to save money, though it may take longer to fix things.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 22nd Jun 19, 2:41 PM
    • 18,901 Posts
    • 11,701 Thanks
    motorguy
    Go car DIY, subscribe to some Kia YouTube uploaders, hint how do you change glow nuts: google, yahoo or duckduck it to save money, though it may take longer to fix things.
    Originally posted by peter12345678910
    Though I suspect "how to remove snapped glow plugs from a head" might be beyond a novice DIYer....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,751Posts Today

7,088Users online

Martin's Twitter