Do we need a gaming laptop?

Comments

• capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try Morgan for refurbed machines https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

For example £200 buys this - HP Elitebook 2560P 12.5" Laptop i7-2620M Dual Core 2.70GHz 4GB 320GB DVD+RW - Windows 7 Professional
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    capital0ne wrote: »
    Try Morgan for refurbed machines https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

For example £200 buys this - HP Elitebook 2560P 12.5" Laptop i7-2620M Dual Core 2.70GHz 4GB 320GB DVD+RW - Windows 7 Professional

Not good value. One might have recommended them a loooooong time ago. These days, there is much better value to be had.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I remember being astonished to see a mono laser printer in Morgan on High Holborn for less than £1000. A laser! For under a grand!

I think the lasers in Morgans these days are still just under a grand.
  • EveryWhere
    I remember being astonished to see a mono laser printer in Morgan on High Holborn for less than £1000. A laser! For under a grand!

I think the lasers in Morgans these days are still just under a grand.

Was it High Holborn or New Oxford Street? :) I used to live around there. Bloomsbury. Though it has changed quite a bit since then.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Actually yes, now you mention it, New Oxford St, just East of Centrepoint on the North side of the road I think..
  • EveryWhere
    Actually yes, now you mention it, New Oxford St, just East of Centrepoint on the North side of the road I think..

That's the one. Visited it at least once.
  • rybennet
    rybennet Posts: 10 Forumite
    You don't need a gaming laptop for that. It feels like a bonus for him if you will give him one.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    The kid's 9 fgs!! How's a 9-y-o going to come up with half the money for a laptop???

He'll be washing up for many years past the life of the lappy :rotfl:

And therein lies the problem - giving children expensive items that they have no concept of the real cost of which they then abuse and usually end up wrecking.

Many 9 year olds will have some cash stashed away in savings accounts - make him financially invested in it and he will take much better care of it.

First computer I had (Commodore 64) took me 3 years to pay off my Dad for so I don't think the suggestion is too outrageous.

Everyone wants everything nowadays here and now without the willingness to wait and save or work for it.

Teach the child a valuable life lesson now - it will make the rest of his life and yours MUCH easier
  • Legette
    Legette Posts: 60
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    He already has to ‘work’ to pay off his season ticket. He mows the lawns, washes cars etc.

He’s a good kid, been through the mill and doesn’t get much throughout the year. Just at Christmas and birthdays.

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    JamoLew wrote: »
    And therein lies the problem - giving children expensive items that they have no concept of the real cost of which they then abuse and usually end up wrecking.

Many 9 year olds will have some cash stashed away in savings accounts - make him financially invested in it and he will take much better care of it.

First computer I had (Commodore 64) took me 3 years to pay off my Dad for so I don't think the suggestion is too outrageous.

Everyone wants everything nowadays here and now without the willingness to wait and save or work for it.

Teach the child a valuable life lesson now - it will make the rest of his life and yours MUCH easier
    My friends child is turning 7 in two months, she had never treated the tablet or laptop, or her father's phone like a like a battering ram, or missile, or boomerang, not does she drop it on the floor, and it has never been a victim of tantrums. The ipad did get a bit grubby and smeared with food at one stage though, some years back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure