Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Shouty3ear wrote: »
    Hello, I’m a little bewildered by all the card options available but basically my 18 year old son is going on his first ‘lads holiday’ and we have been looking at getting one of these pre paid cards so he doesn’t have lots of cash on him at one time. Which ones are the best on the market? I don’t want him having a ‘credit’ card one as I’m not happy with him taking out credit at 18 and getting into dept!
    Any advice please? Ideally one that has an app would be preferred.

https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ Worldwide

If just within Europe, https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/bank-accounts/products/current-account/ is just as good and he can get one on the spot, if nearby; https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/store-locator/
  • DeadTall
    DeadTall Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if my 17 year old can get a prepaid travel money card (euros) ? I'll be loading the money on to it for her, for a trip to Europe this summer.

I'm wondering whether I will have to get one of my own and add her on to it as a secondary card holder, or is there one which is suitable for someone her age? All the ones I've found have a minimum age of 18.

thanks in advance :)
    :onervous but determined :o
  • EveryWhere
    DeadTall wrote: »
    Does anyone know if my 17 year old can get a prepaid travel money card (euros) ? I'll be loading the money on to it for her, for a trip to Europe this summer.

I'm wondering whether I will have to get one of my own and add her on to it as a secondary card holder, or is there one which is suitable for someone her age? All the ones I've found have a minimum age of 18.

thanks in advance :)

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexone/whats-flexone is yours and her best option.

No charges and you get the rate shown here; https://www.visa.co.uk/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

A fallback position would be the Monzo card; https://monzo.com/blog/2018/08/06/monzo-for-16-18-year-olds/
    But it isn't as good, as you are limited to 200 euros per month of free ATM withdrawals.
    I strongly recommend the FlexOne option, with the Monzo as a backup in the case of the loss of the Nationwide card.
  • sandiego
    sandiego Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all we are going to Australia and need to take a card for spending and atm withdrawals i dont want an app card as im no good with tech and i cant get a credit card because i dont work i care for my dad so please can anyone suggest the best deal for me.
  • EveryWhere
    sandiego wrote: »
    Hi all we are going to Australia and need to take a card for spending and atm withdrawals i dont want an app card as im no good with tech and i cant get a credit card because i dont work i care for my dad so please can anyone suggest the best deal for me.

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp
    It will cost you £1.50 per ATM withdrawal abroad. No charges for purchases. Mastercard exchange rate with no deductions.
    Don't depend on just one card. If you lose it, you are in trouble.

If you are travelling with a young person, from 11 to 17 years old; https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexone/whats-flexone is a good choice. No charges at all.

You might need a credit card if you want to rent a car or leave a hotel deposit.
  • NORRIS
    NORRIS Posts: 2 Newbie
    New to the forum so apologies if this question has already been asked.
    What is the best card to use in America?
    Ive been hearing difffernt reviews about Monzo and Revolut.
  • I have just bought a FairFx card on line ready for our trip to the states.I am in a big group and I only wanted it to cover for meals out etc so decided circa £600 would be enough. Heres the thing, - if you buy more than £500 they give you £35 discount. Even although their exchange rate before the discount is a bit off the best you can get, I ended up with $729.60 for £565. So thats an exchange rate of just over $1.29 to the pound. Todays best exchange rate otherwise was 1.224 OK it only works out that welll if you go just a bit over the £500 (dont forget the discount goes off after you input so I guess you would need to order £540 as a minimum). I am just wondering wetherr to get others on our trip to do the same - it seems unbeatable as long as you do a bit over £500 on each new card.
  • EveryWhere
    I have just bought a FairFx card on line ready for our trip to the states.I am in a big group and I only wanted it to cover for meals out etc so decided circa £600 would be enough. Heres the thing, - if you buy more than £500 they give you £35 discount. Even although their exchange rate before the discount is a bit off the best you can get, I ended up with $729.60 for £565. So thats an exchange rate of just over $1.29 to the pound. Todays best exchange rate otherwise was 1.224 OK it only works out that welll if you go just a bit over the £500 (dont forget the discount goes off after you input so I guess you would need to order £540 as a minimum). I am just wondering wetherr to get others on our trip to do the same - it seems unbeatable as long as you do a bit over £500 on each new card.

Looks good.
  • I went to a TC branch on friday to open a lyk prepaid card, didnt have my passport so couldnt do it the exchange rate was 1.8 in the shop, and on line, went back the day after, exchange rate on line was 1092.3 on line. Loaded £1000 on card. went home to register card and balance was only £1000.2o euros meaning the rate in shop was level yet still 1092.3 on line, do you think I should be able to contest this in shop as they didnt tell me the rate was so low, feeling really unhappy as have lost out on £90
  • EveryWhere
    megansgran wrote: »
    I went to a TC branch on friday to open a lyk prepaid card, didnt have my passport so couldnt do it the exchange rate was 1.8 in the shop, and on line, went back the day after, exchange rate on line was 1092.3 on line. Loaded £1000 on card. went home to register card and balance was only £1000.2o euros meaning the rate in shop was level yet still 1092.3 on line, do you think I should be able to contest this in shop as they didnt tell me the rate was so low, feeling really unhappy as have lost out on £90

Can barely understand what you have written.
    Hard to understand how people only seem to find this forum after they have made a blunder, instead of using it's resources to get the best deal in the first place.
    You have been a member for nine years!
    You can contest as much as you like, but their online exchange rate, (poor as it is) is never the same as the rate you get in-store. They likely have boards in store showing their abominable rates.
    It's sharp practice, but both TC and the Post Office do it. They need to pay for the bricks and mortar premises. Which is why no one recommends them here and most things are done on-line.
    Why didn't you order online and then pick it up in-store to get the on-line rate?

Maybe it was of this you fell foul;
    Our Reserve & Collect rates are available for currency pre-ordered online only. In-store rates may differ. The rates displayed are guaranteed only if currency is collected before close of business today, if not, the Reserve & Collect rate of the day will apply. Currencies other than Euros and US Dollars may not be available to collect today, please phone your chosen store to check availability of other currencies before reserving online.

But that still would not explain the low rate.

So perhaps you simply did not order online in the first instance

So I have no idea what you should do next. You can complain to Head Office, but since they sanction the policy, you could be on a hiding to nothing.
    1.8 in the shop? Really? Perhaps you meant 1.08. If it was 1.08 in the shop, why do you think you have only received 1.0002?
    Have you asked them for a breakdown? It does seem ludicrously low, even for TC. Perhaps you have made a mistake and the £1000.20 is what you actually paid, rather than your Euro balance.

If you really felt the need to purchase Euros and put them on a Prepaid card, FairFx and WeSwap are giving an extra £35 and £30 worth of currency respectively, for loads such as yours.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards/

As least you know where the forum is, in so you know where to ask, the next time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback