Buildings / contents insurance - know I will be renting property out in 2 months

Options
By the end of August I will be renting out the house I currently live in and will take out Landlord Insurance when the time comes.

However, I need normal buildings / contents insurance from mid July through to the point when a renter moves in. Are there any providers that have particularly low cancellation fees or are they all much the same (and therefore it's worth finding the greatest savings).

Also, WOW, home insurance prices have jumped in a year! Like-for-like compared to last year quotes are about £80 more than last year (25% higher) unless I increase the voluntary excess to £350+.

Comments

• rosierd
    rosierd Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try a broker and explain your intentions it's likely then they wouldn't charge a cancellation fee but just charge you pro-rata for the cover you have had.

That's what I would do anyhow and it would be subject to you taking the rental property insurance with the same broker.
    I work in Insurance (Broker). All views are my own.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try asking the insurer if your current homeowner's policy can be converted to a landlord's policy as from x date and if so what would the cost be to change?

If they say yes, get them to confirm in writing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure