PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling house

Options

Comments

• wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Best way to deal with viewings at that time is scatter childrens clothes everywhere, have kids in bath, dinner on the hob, make the place as hectic/unappealing as possible. Explain to the agent its like this every day at this time perhaps they would be better coming on a weekend. You wont get any more viewings at that time.

Should say not technically "best" but probably most fun
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    Kim.wigley wrote: »
    Yes, the only thing they’ve currently done wrong (we haven’t been issued a s21 yet because the landlord doesn’t want a void period and will only give us notice when she’s ready to exchange....), is to not protect our deposit within 30 days.

I think that's unlikely as any buyer (apart from another LL) will want confirmation of vacant possession (i.e. you've already moved out) before they exchange.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Offer viewings at 13:47-13:58 every 3rd Thursday for 25% off the rent. If they argue increase to 50% off.
  • Okrib
    Okrib Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why is everyone so against the landlord? It's their property, and if they want to sell it they should be able to.

Trying to find ways to get round this by a form being incorrect is wrong in my opinion. How would the OP feel if their tenants did the same to them when they want to buy a house and need to sell theirs?

I don't envy landlords having to deal with people who are effectively looking to game the system to find ways to delay them doing what they want with property they own.

You had planned on being there for 6 months. The landlord might originally have wanted someone to make a longer commitment to stay, but took you in on that basis. You both agreed to this. You were open about the fact it was probably only going to be for 6 months. Had you found a place to buy you would have happily served him notice to leave, meaning he had no income. Presumably you would have served notice on your tenants (thus potentially upsetting their plans if they wanted to stay longer?).
  • Okrib
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »
    Best way to deal with viewings at that time is scatter childrens clothes everywhere, have kids in bath, dinner on the hob, make the place as hectic/unappealing as possible. Explain to the agent its like this every day at this time perhaps they would be better coming on a weekend. You wont get any more viewings at that time.

Should say not technically "best" but probably most fun

I'm sure the OP would feel the same way about the tenants in their house refusing to allow viewings which would stop them being able to buy the house they wanted?

Or everyone could just be grown up about it. Say what times are / are not acceptable and ask any viewings to happen around those.

I find this attitude particularly surprising when the OP is presumably at some point going to need to have access from their tenants for viewings and evict them to create vacant possession for their sale to go through during their house buying process!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am aware I’m being awkward - I’m pretty miffed that they’re wanting to turf us out of our home with as little warning as possible

I don't suppose you'll appreciate your own tenants being just as awkward?

Why not explain to your landlord that the time is not convenient and ask for one that is?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not explain to your landlord that the time is not convenient and ask for one that is?

Thank goodness for some sensible advice.
    Also I would advise them that your dog needs to be accompanied (so they aren't tempted to come round when you aren't there).
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Who knows how long it will take to find another property to buy and then complete the sale? Find somewhere else to rent and serve your own notice. You will probably have much less overlap between renting and owning if you start a new 6 month AST in November.

As for the viewing, just tell the agent it is not a convenient time and you haven't received the required notice on this occasion.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Okrib wrote: »
    Why is everyone so against the landlord? It's their property, and if they want to sell it they should be able to.

Trying to find ways to get round this by a form being incorrect is wrong in my opinion. How would the OP feel if their tenants did the same to them when they want to buy a house and need to sell theirs?

I don't envy landlords having to deal with people who are effectively looking to game the system to find ways to delay them doing what they want with property they own.

You had planned on being there for 6 months. The landlord might originally have wanted someone to make a longer commitment to stay, but took you in on that basis. You both agreed to this. You were open about the fact it was probably only going to be for 6 months. Had you found a place to buy you would have happily served him notice to leave, meaning he had no income. Presumably you would have served notice on your tenants (thus potentially upsetting their plans if they wanted to stay longer?).

I don't think anyone is against the landlord selling the house, I think they are against the landlord breaking the agreement, treating the tenants like second class citizens, and completely disregarding the tenants rights to peace. The tenants are paying rent to use the house as THEIR home. The landlord isn't doing them a favour. Would you let strangers in your house without any notice?
  • Okrib
    Options
    I don't think anyone is against the landlord selling the house, I think they are against the landlord breaking the agreement, treating the tenants like second class citizens, and completely disregarding the tenants rights to peace. The tenants are paying rent to use the house as THEIR home. The landlord isn't doing them a favour. Would you let strangers in your house without any notice?

In the same way the OP (as landlord) will break the agreement, treat their tenants like second hand citizens and disregard their right to peace? The OP advised the landlord that they would only be there for 6 months. The landlord would have assumed that he would have a vacant property after 6 months, and planned accordingly. Why should the landlord accommodate the OP's change in plans when they have decided they want to sell?

I used to do viewings at tenanted properties all the time. Most tenants were reasonable, and allowed viewings with fair notice. We would work around them to do it at specific times, and some wanted to be there, others didn't.

I find it particularly hypocritical that the OP wants to use the system to ensure their own ability to stay in the property against the landlord's wishes, but presumably will have zero compunction about evicting their own tenants and doing whatever enables them to sell their home once they have found something they want to buy. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure