IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Too late for a POPLA appeal?

I had a ticket from Britannia Parking a few months ago, that I appealed with them (cribbing various bits that seemed to apply from threads on this forum). Unsurprisingly the appeal was rejected telling me of a Supreme Court ruling that their charge was lawful.

I was parked over two hours in a badly signed car park that has featured many times in various posts here. Paying the £100 charge just seemed wrong. I intended a POPLA appeal but seeing how much work was involved to do it properly, I just didn't get round to it.

I have since had a letter from Debt Recovery Plus asking me to pay them £160 before a certain date (since past). I am happy to follow advice in the Newbies Thread ignore such a demand and see if their client really would like to take court action over it, but tactically, should I still appeal to POPLA at this late stage?

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    When your appeal was rejected, did you receive a POPLA code? If so, is it still valid or has it expired?
  • afwone
    afwone Posts: 78 Forumite
    I wonder how long after expiry is too late
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    afwone wrote: »
    I wonder how long after expiry is too late

Popla codes last about 32 days. After that they don't work any more.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You do look to be too late, but check and see

Never waste a chance to kill these off at Popla!!

You now maybe unnecessarily facing years of debt collectors annoying you
  • Stanley_St
    Stanley_St Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quentin wrote: »
    You do look to be too late, but check and see

Never waste a chance to kill these off at Popla!!

You now maybe unnecessarily facing years of debt collectors annoying you

Oh dear. Yes a few weeks late.

And I am already onto another letter from Debt Recovery Plus who tell me that they have recommended to their client that they appoint their solicitor to start court action against me.

However, this time they offer a final settlement offer of £136 to avoid court action.

I wonder if it is worth appealing to POPLA, or if I should resign myself to a life of being chased by debt collectors?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can't appeal or contact POPLA.

Did you stop to wonder what we all did before POPLA existed in late 2012? Yep, we all ignored PPC trash and their debt collector threatogram letter chains, Typically 7 or 8 letters over a year or two, I've had them myself). Not a lifetime!

You should complain to the landowner/retailer & get them to cancel it on the spot.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Stanley_St
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You can't appeal or contact POPLA.

Did you stop to wonder what we all did before POPLA existed in late 2012? Yep, we all ignored PPC trash and their debt collector threatogram letter chains, Typically 7 or 8 letters over a year or two, I've had them myself). Not a lifetime!

You should complain to the landowner/retailer & get them to cancel it on the spot.

This is my first offence, and this world is all new to me. I am glad to read of your experience and feel prepared to tough it out with debt collectors. My dear wife on the other hand is quite worried.

The car park in question is labelled 'Customer's Car Park' along with numerous other signs from the various shops that back onto it, but the landowner/retailer owning the land is not identified.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This is NOT an offence! NOT a penalty, not a parking fine. It is a scam.
    My dear wife on the other hand is quite worried.
    So was my dear husband, ten years ago when I first collected debt collector threatograms and told him to laugh at them.

Now you played this wrong and should have just won at POPLA (next time)! So I don't want newbies thinking ignore POPLA is the right stance because it wasn't.
    The car park in question is labelled 'Customer's Car Park' along with numerous other signs from the various shops that back onto it, but the landowner/retailer owning the land is not identified.
    Go there first - before trying IAS, so go this weekend - (on foot, having parked somewhere properly on street - no blinking private car parks!) and ask each Store Manager if they will cancel this threat, or you will never shop there again and you have in the past and planned to, in the future...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Stanley_St
    This is NOT an offence! NOT a penalty, not a parking fine. It is a scam.

Indeed. I committed this with a clear conscience and was entrapped through a lack of clear signage.
    So was my dear husband, ten years ago when I first collected debt collector threatograms and told him to laugh at them.

I feel a little uncomfortable about it, but your zeal for the cause is having more effect on me than the tears of my dear wife. I must hide the threatograms from her in future, as I doubt she will ever laugh at them.
    Now you played this wrong and should have just won at POPLA (next time)! So I don't want newbies thinking ignore POPLA is the right stance because it wasn't.

I am learning from my mistakes and have today advised a newbie I know to follow advice in your Newbie Thread.
    Go there first - before trying IAS, so go this weekend - (on foot, having parked somewhere properly on street - no blinking private car parks!) and ask each Store Manager if they will cancel this threat, or you will never shop there again and you have in the past and planned to, in the future...

A phone call to one of the shop managers has revealed the land of the car park is owned by CBRE Group, the large commercial real estate and investment firm. The shop manager told me the shops all hate that company. So many of their customers have been caught with penalty charges and have been put off coming back to shop.

Is it worth seeing if Britannia Parking will engage with IAS on my case - or will it simply be a waste of time and the £15 fee?
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2018 at 4:48PM
    Britannia are not interested in anything other than their £100 of flesh and you would be wasting £15 quid in my opinion.

I would do as C-m suggested and visit each store in turn to see if a manager can help. (Not customer services.)

Ignore debt collectors. Post 4 of the NEWBIES explains why it is safe to do so. Remember, this is not a fine, it's an invoice. It's no different from a tradesperson charging you when they haven't done something, and had terms buried in the small print. It is a SCAM.

Complain to your MP as well about this unregulated scam. Amongst other things, point out that you have been denied access to ADR (PoPLA) in breach of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Act 2015, an act of parliament that states you should have access to this for not less than one year.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business