PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Boodle wrote: »
    I just soaked 10 lavender heads in 750ml water for 3 days, then strained it into a pan with 750g preserving sugar and the juice of half a lemon and boiled for about 7 minutes I think. It was very nice. I would imagine a redder rose would give a prettier colour but mine are quite a pale pink.

Should have mentioned that quantity gave me 5 jars full .

Lovin the sound of this!!!:j

I HAVE to give this a go!:T

Thanks for the inspiration.
    This would look pretty gifted with a little spray of dried lavender attached to the neck with a gift tag:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Lovin the sound of this!!!:j

I HAVE to give this a go!:T

Thanks for the inspiration.
    This would look pretty gifted with a little spray of dried lavender attached to the neck with a gift tag:T

It's bascially an elderflower jelly recipe but fancied a couple of flower jellies. My nannas birthday is soon and she can't have fruit with a special medical diet but loves sweet preserves, so was just thinking along those lines :) I plan to experiment with rosemary and vanilla too... not sure how that one will go until it's done tho... :rotfl:Also, flower and herbal jellies are so much cheaper than fruit preserves when you grow them in your garden or know where they are locally ;)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    Panasonic SD255 breadmaker - has to be the best around in my opinion :)

Just had a look on Amazon and it is no longer available - it has been replaced by a newer model Panasonic SD-2501WXC £111.69 at the moment; my old breadmaker (a Kenwood) bit the dust last year when the clips that hold the pan down as the dough is kneaded gave way so a mechanical failure. OH has promised me a new one but not holding my breath - backup plan is 3rd purse!
  • jumblejack
    Options
    It's bascially an elderflower jelly recipe but fancied a couple of flower jellies. My nannas birthday is soon and she can't have fruit with a special medical diet but loves sweet preserves, so was just thinking along those lines :) I plan to experiment with rosemary and vanilla too... not sure how that one will go until it's done tho... :rotfl:Also, flower and herbal jellies are so much cheaper than fruit preserves when you grow them in your garden or know where they are locally ;)

Please please post pics of your preserves. I love to see them as I find em so inspiring!

I would be very interested in the rosemary one. I have a HUGE bush of it that gives me great pleasure, both aesthetically and through consuming the produce, flowers and foliage. I've never used it in a sweet dish but don't see why it wouldn't give a good result. Might be a nice addition to a lamb dinner!!!
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've used it with sweet stewed apples before which was very nice. Anyway, we will see! I am still trying to track down the lead for my phone which I misplaced months ago! But if I do, I will post a piccie :)

Have you ever made a sweet dandelion preserve, Jumble Jack? I've been thinking about but not sure how it will taste. I was thinking about just using the standard recipe of infusing water and simmering with the lemon and sugar. what do you think?
    Love and compassion to all x
  • jumblejack
    edited 2 July 2012 at 11:39AM
    Options
    I've used it with sweet stewed apples before which was very nice. Anyway, we will see! I am still trying to track down the lead for my phone which I misplaced months ago! But if I do, I will post a piccie :)

Have you ever made a sweet dandelion preserve, Jumble Jack? I've been thinking about but not sure how it will taste. I was thinking about just using the standard recipe of infusing water and simmering with the lemon and sugar. what do you think?

Dandelion heads are in short supply around here but I would be very interested in doing a sample batch next spring when there are enough to gather. I will be freezing some flower heads too!

I may have to google it, see if others have attempted it. :j

Edit:
    Yay!! Apparently its like honey:
    http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/saucesrelishespickles/r/How-To-Make-Homemade-Dandelion-Jelly.htm

This recipe is even better:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/dandelion-jelly-90601
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well - a big spend yesterday of £41.53 on a online Mr W order. It ended up being cheaper with them, because I'm quite happy to use their basic 'essential' range, whereas with Mr S or Mr T I sometimes need to pick the TTD/Finest range or a branded product (because the own brand equivalent is a bit bleurgh), which ends up being more expensive. Shared an order with my housemate, but I needed the majority of things.

Leftover salmon, salad and potato salad tonight and my housemate is cooking pasta with HM tapenade, feta and cherry tomatoes for dinner.

Hope everybody is well :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • jumblejack
    Options
    Boodle, you got me all a excited now for next spring!! The reviews on dandelion jelly are all fantastic!! I want some. NOW!
    People even just pop some in a cup and add boiled water as a sweet, floral 'tea'. Sounds awesome!

Well done you!:T
  • jumblejack
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    Well - a big spend yesterday of £41.53 on a online Mr W order. It ended up being cheaper with them, because I'm quite happy to use their basic 'essential' range, whereas with Mr S or Mr T I sometimes need to pick the TTD/Finest range or a branded product (because the own brand equivalent is a bit bleurgh), which ends up being more expensive. Shared an order with my housemate, but I needed the majority of things.

Leftover salmon, salad and potato salad tonight and my housemate is cooking pasta with HM tapenade, feta and cherry tomatoes for dinner.

Hope everybody is well :D

Nick, are you a student? Your meals always sound really healthy and tasty! If so, you have certainly broken the stereotypical image.
    Well done on proving that budget menus can be exciting and nutritious :)
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Nick, are you a student? Your meals always sound really healthy and tasty! If so, you have certainly broken the stereotypical image.
    Well done on proving that budget menus can be exciting and nutritious :)

Haha! I wish I was still that young! :p

I do try - I have the odd slip up, but I like to make sure that the meals I do stay interesting. I'm always looking for new recipes to try out. :D

I love reading about your foraging. I'm afraid that if I do it in London, the nettles will probably be somewhere a dog relieves himself on though! :rotfl: There ARE some nettles high up a fence near me, but would they be absorbed with pollution since it's on the main road?
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills