Any Treadmill advice?

Options
SuperPikachu
SuperPikachu Posts: 344 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 6 September 2017 at 11:00AM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
Hello all,

I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in my own home.

I did a little search and found a thread from 2009 but nothing else is jumping out of the search box since.

Are there any good recommendations for a robust folding treadmill at a decent price?

I would think my budget is up to £600, although I'd prefer to spend less.

It is just so much money for these kind of things that I wanted to ask you lot first :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They make a good clothes horse...
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 June 2022 at 9:33AM
    Options
    We have a York Fitness that has been very heavily used by two very overweight people.

It has let us down once when the motor lost torque.

Thought it was out of warranty but on enquiring with York on how much a new motor would be was told that they would send an engineer out for free, who spent about 2hrs replacing the motor and calibrating it and giving some useful advice on best use (IE don't stand on the deck when starting it up, places too much strain on the motor :p).

He also bought a replacement console in case it was that playing up, and left it with me as a spare. :T

You want to find one with a nice large, well sprung running deck.

We did the C25K on ours then, when we had lost some weight started to run more outside. I still use it quite a lot but the wife just doesn't like it anymore and prefers to run outside.

I will use my Kindle Fire to watch stuff on which helps with the monotony.

I would say that £600 is a minimum to spend to get a good quality, robust one so make sure it is what you want, as Deleted_User says they do make good (but very expensive) clothes horses. ;)

Edit: Make sure to check the max user weight (don't know if this will be an issue for you ;) ), ours is 150kg.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    What about specific brands and models? Or is it best to just go running/get a gym membership tbh?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What about specific brands and models? Or is it best to just go running/get a gym membership tbh?

It's far better just to use the treadmill that starts outside your front gate and goes on for as long as you want it to.

But if you do want one, go to a decent sport/gym supply shop and try some. All treadmills are definitely not created equal and you should spend as much as you can, if you don't want something that creaks and rattles every time you step on it.
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What do you hate so much about jogging outside? Is it the thought of others being able to see you? When I started running that was my biggest fear - what people in their cars would think as they drove past! I chose a bridle path to start running on to minimise the risk of seeing anyone. It really doesn't take long for the fear to go, maybe you could give it a go somewhere secluded to start with?
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    i bought a treadmill off ebay about 12 years ago for £250 (lifefitness 9500hr classic series). It was an ex-gym piece of equipment. Ive never had to spend any money on it over the years (guess I got lucky)

its in my garage where I have freeview TV (I use TV and radio to help pass the time).

Over the 12 years I have had periods of not using it and it just sat there (as pointed out, they make an expensive clothes horse). But for me a treadmill supplements out-door running (Treadmills are great for running at an incline at a constant speed, but I prefer running out doors where the gradient constantly changes and you get natural air).

Do invest in good running trainers (suited to your style of running), and do change them every 500-ish miles.

Personally I would start to walk/run around your neighbourhood rather than spend £600

Do you have a "park-run" or "fun-run" near you (they have people of all ages and abilities and are great fun).
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    I guess it is a mixture of feeling insecure about being outside running looking fat and sweaty and living next to a busy train station and stuff. I got fed up of the gym because of how much it costs and how little I was going/using when I did go. Maybe i will just need to bite the bullet and get out jogging and drag my girlfriend along or something, thank you for the responses though.

The more I read treadmill reviews, the more I'm put off - there is almost 1 complaint on every model i have liked, and I had a very bad experience with Reebok the other year with an exercise bike.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try a second-hand Precor from ebay/facebook/schpock etc
  • davidbell01
    Options
    Hello all,

I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in own home.

I did a little search and found a thread from 2009 but nothing else is jumping out of the search box since.

Are there any good recommendations for a robust folding treadmill at a decent price?

I would think my budget is up to £600, although I'd prefer to spend less.

It is just so much money for these kind of things that I wanted to ask you lot first :)

Go for sole fitness, proform or lifespan. Any model from these brands can work for you. My recommendation is to go for Sole Fitness S77 because its durable and best for home use. Mine still works like a charm and didn't have any issues from the last 2 years.
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    If I see an out of shape guy or girl running round the park I have nothing but respect for them. They're getting it done despite their fears!

If it helps, a bit of countryside can reduce prying eyes and also give you some nice scenery to look at. There's no harm in driving somewhere nice or more secluded to go for a run. Or if you can get to a park that's popular with runners then you can just blend in with the running crowd. Other runners will always respect someone making the effort too.

If you can get over that first psychological hurdle, you'll be enoying it before you know it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure