Charging Order? The myth

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,779 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    eggbox wrote: »
    Thanks for the update LRR and it does appear, as suspected, that the LRR has given an answer to "pre-removal" of the restriction prior to sale?

And whilst this certainly doesn't apply to yourself; the above quote does indicate what I have been saying about certain organisations not being as helpful as they could as it wouldn't have breached the "we can't give advice" rule to confirm overreaching?

Can't be certain on the first point until I see the title number and what record we have
    And I'm unsure what the second Q is asking - sorry. Does it relate to your previous comments re the SRA responses perhaps?
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Rangers123
    Rangers123 Posts: 24 Forumite
    I appreciate your help and advice LRR and eggbox. I'm a little reluctant to share the title number on a public forum as it's a family buying buying the property. I have now appointed a solicitor recommended by eggbox to handle the sale for me, someone who clearly knows what they are doing with regard these restrictions. Unfortunately the buyer's solicitor, who I was dealing with myself previously, knows even less about these restrictions than I do.
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can't be certain on the first point until I see the title number and what record we have
    And I'm unsure what the second Q is asking - sorry. Does it relate to your previous comments re the SRA responses perhaps?

It relates to organisations like the SRA (and to be fair the LR) who "hide", in my opinion behind the "we can't give legal advice" stance when questioned by members of the public.

YOU are a clear exception that demonstrates many of these bodies could be more helpful, without giving legal advice, as the example Rangers123 gave, whereby, it was clear what the question the solicitor was referring to and which could have easily been explained for clarity.
  • Land_Registry
    It relates to organisations like the SRA (and to be fair the LR) who "hide", in my opinion behind the "we can't give legal advice" stance when questioned by members of the public.

YOU are a clear exception that demonstrates many of these bodies could be more helpful, without giving legal advice, as the example Rangers123 gave, whereby, it was clear what the question the solicitor was referring to and which could have easily been explained for clarity.

Understood and appreciated although I'd argue that the clarity a conveyancer needs is provided in our PG as far as overreaching is concerned.

Overreaching is not covered by the LR Acts & Rules so to advise beyond the PG would be explaining how other legislation works - legal advice - and if we did then we would be culpable.

Citizens pay for legal advice and assistance as a result because the cinveyancer is covering any legislation involved and not say just LR Acts & Rules. And those fees help to insure the conveyancer against the risk of getting it wrong, advice or otherwise.

On the issue if clarity I feel that is very subjective. My reading if the issue was based in the post here which naturally altered how I read it.
    My colleague, who dealt with the conveyancer's Enquiry did not have that advantage.

What they had was an enquiry that in the face if it focussed on removal of the restriction. 99/100 that's done through application by the owner or restrictioner plus evidence to support its removal e.g release, consent, court order etc. Not by overreaching

The real question the cinveyancer should have been asking, in my view, is does the fact that the company has been dissolved affect that overreaching.

As they didn't and they git the answer they did it woukd be interesting to know if Ranger123 pursues the matter with the cinveyancer who asked the Q and with us re the reply given.

In my view that's the best way to affect change on both fronts. As the latter helps our people improve awareness/understanding. And in the latter case if the conveyancer's own firm back up their advice then the SRA can be contacted to see if they take a different view and can do anything more.

We have the same situation in that if a complaint is upheld the next step is an independent complaints reviewer (ICR) and that adds the 'extra kick' a complainant may crave when looking for improvement

I hope that helps add some more clarity re our own position on this and a smidgen of insight into how in my view a cinveyancer and/or SRA might view it also
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • eggbox
    LRR

Unfortunately, the help and guidance you have given on this thread negates a lot of your argument above? The point I'm making is that many organisations take the default position of "we can't give legal advice" even when they are only being asked to provide a simple explanation of the rules? This makes those organisations, unfairly, impenetrable to members of the public who often don't know where next to turn to?

This is, especially, in light of this site being littered with "citizens" reporting they have paid for the legal advice required only to encounter that the "professionals" hired don't understand the rules, either?
  • Land_Registry
    LRR

Unfortunately, the help and guidance you have given on this thread negates a lot of your argument above? The point I'm making is that many organisations take the default position of "we can't give legal advice" even when they are only being asked to provide a simple explanation of the rules? This makes those organisations, unfairly, impenetrable to members of the public who often don't know where next to turn to?

This is, especially, in light of this site being littered with "citizens" reporting they have paid for the legal advice required only to encounter that the "professionals" hired don't understand the rules, either?

eggbox it's an understanding of the law and what view you have as to how that law works.
    It's not a rule in my view that's being applied here in the context of this thread.

And as you will appreciate the law itself can be subjective so you can get differing views, that's why you then have a judge as the arbiter.

For example the issue of overreaching is our interpretation of the law hence 'A charging order affecting only the beneficial interests under a trust is liable to be overreached along with those interests by the operation of sections 2 and 27 of the Law of Property Act 1925' - so our interpretation of the LPA 1925

And whilst I am not suggesting this is the case re the legal advice being given by the solicitor's referred to in the the thread a different view of the law may be taken. That may for example be a view that focuses on the Charging Orders Act and/or any legislation dealing with such debts and how they are satisfied and when.

I suspect the real difficulty for some solicitors is how COs are dealt with differently and how those differences impact on jointly and solely owned properties. But it still comes back to the impact of the CO itself and how the law enables the creditor to realise the debt or the debtor to manage it where they own a property.

The only way you will change a solicitor's view, in my opinion, is by challenging their interpretation of the law and convincing them to accept your interpretation - that's not a rule to be enforced but a matter of discussion/education and encouragement all of which this thread can help with, complaints to solicitor's and their firms when poster's views differ, and the SRA thereafter as appropriate.
  • eggbox
    eggbox
    The only way you will change a solicitor's view, in my opinion, is by challenging their interpretation of the law and convincing them to accept your interpretation - that's not a rule to be enforced but a matter of discussion/education and encouragement all of which this thread can help with, complaints to solicitor's and their firms when poster's views differ, and the SRA thereafter as appropriate.

Unfortunately, as many posters have found; you have more chance of convincing a solicitor the earth is flat than you have of altering their interpretation of the Law even when presenting them with the "evidence" as explained in the LR PG's?

The difficulty for this, as many posters have recounted, is the arrogance of solicitors in not wanting to be educated by a member of the public? So persuasion is often a non starter as they aren't going to defer to a client's opinion?

Whilst I would stop short of using arrogance as the reason many organisations, like the SRA etc, aren't more helpful to the general public; from my experiences it's definitely motivated by professional "protectionism" in not wanting to give any information away they don't have to?
  • mintminty59
    mintminty59 Posts: 20 Forumite
    I have a bit of a nightmare scenario. I have recently tried to remortgage my house to get a better rate and do some repairs. The solicitor working on behalf of the bank, have detected a Interim charging order that was placed on my house and myself back in 2006. I am the sole owner and mortgage payer on this house.

I have no memory of a court summons, or a CCJ being registered however I do have a claim number provided to me by the Land Registry. Obviously this has placed a block on my being able to proceed with the remortgage. I have traced the debt which is no owned by Caboot and the original debt was with HSBC for a retail account.

I tried to contact Caboot to make an offer for full and final setlment but they refused point blank and only want the full amount, and they refused to remove the CO so I could proceed with the mortgage and potentially pay them off. I am not completly stuck as to what to do! , is there any fight I can give to force this to be resolved, as I currently dont have any means to pay this off without taking a remortgage.
  • eggbox
    mintyminty59

If the bank are happy to remortgage you in the knowledge part of the loan will be to settle the Charging Order, then you don't need Cabot to remove the charge? (The reason they won't remove the charge themselves is that there is no guarantee they will be paid if they do so?)

The charge will be removed from the register by the bank settling the charge (from the proceeds of the re-mortgage) so allowing their remortgage to be the first charge on the register which is what they require to allow the re-mortgage to proceed?

But you DO need the Bank's agreement that they are happy to remortgage on the basis of settling the CO or they won't budge, either?
  • mintminty59
    mintminty59 Posts: 20 Forumite
    The solicitor wont proceed and the bank require full payment so its a chicken and egg scenario.

I dont even know how they got the CO in 1st place so looks like I am stuck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback