Death of a Landlord and dispute with his family

flower105
flower105 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 14 April 2018 at 3:19PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hello, I'm just looking for some advice.

My mum's landlord has died and his family wants to sell the house. It get's more complicated than that however.

My mum originally wanted to buy the house, but was unable to get a mortgage at the time, so a "close friend" said that they would buy the house in his name and eventually it would be hers. So she paid him the house deposit, he got the mortgage. Since then has paid the mortgage amount into his account to pay the mortgage payments. Of course, none of this appears to be in writing and doesn't have a rent book either.

He died last year, and originally his wife said that it wouldn't be a problem for her to have the house. However, I've just heard that his sons have found out about this house and want to sell the house and get some money out of it.

She is almost 60 now and is unable to work due to illness so I'm really worried as I am not in a position to help directly and live far away. I really would like to find out if there is anything that I can do, so any help or advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    How much deposit was paid, how long ago was that and is there evidence of that payment?

How does the amount of 'mortgage' your mother is paying compare with the level of rent she might otherwise pay?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    flower105 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm just looking for some advice....

Get a solicitor.

Your argument would be that your mum does not have a landlord. She is the beneficial owner of the property. The 'close friend' merely held the legal title to the property as a trustee.

Hopefully you can produce banking records to show the payment of the deposit and the mortgage payments.
  • flower105
    flower105 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2018 at 8:16PM
    Tom99 wrote: »
    How much deposit was paid, how long ago was that and is there evidence of that payment?

How does the amount of 'mortgage' your mother is paying compare with the level of rent she might otherwise pay?
    She paid £5000 for the property in 1994. I think it was bought for £65,000. I'll ask if there is evidence for the payment. It's now worth around £185,000.

She pays the mortage amout, to pay rent would be around aproximately 4 - 5 times what she pays for a similar house in the area
  • antrobus wrote: »
    Get a solicitor.

Your argument would be that your mum does not have a landlord. She is the beneficial owner of the property. The 'close friend' merely held the legal title to the property as a trustee.

Hopefully you can produce banking records to show the payment of the deposit and the mortgage payments.
    I hope she can too. She used to pay cash into the bank account directly, so there should be some kind of receipts. The "landlord" has never paid for anything in the house such as the heating being installed or new windows. Is it worth bringing that up?
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    flower105 wrote: »
    I hope she can too. She used to pay cash into the bank account directly, so there should be some kind of receipts. The "landlord" has never paid for anything in the house such as the heating being installed or new windows. Is it worth bringing that up?

Yes - as this is evidence of her beneficial ownership. Don't expect this to be an easy process however.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    How long does the mortgage have left to run?

Was the property ownership transfered to the wife on the death of the husband?

Has the rental income ever been declared to the HMRC? Whatever the informal arrangement agreed between the parties. There's no evidence. Likewise disposal will result in a large capital gains tax bill.

The only eviction route wil be though the courts. The sons have no say currently. Though if the wife were to die then the situation changes.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Can she afford to keep the house? Or is this about getting a lump sum?
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Of course if this house was worth £65,000 in 1994 it would presumably be worth £500k plus now depending on where it is.

So there is a lot at stake in more ways than one.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Let's hope it wasn't an interest-only mortgage.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Let's hope it wasn't an interest-only mortgage.

It was "interest -only mortgage".
    What kind of difference does it make ? ( except the obvious, that selling the house will be the only way to pay the lump sum)
    Thanks for all your replies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport