Buying ipads for a school

Comments

• voixdeville
    voixdeville Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know of any independent organizatuons i could contact for advice? Thanks
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I don't know what to recommend to you, but I would certainly go for an Android tablet rather than Ipad.

What would I do in your situation?

I would write to the manufacturers. I have a Samsung that I find is good, other manufacturers are Acer, Huawei, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Google, HTC and Archos, among others.

I would suggest emailing them individually, as well as Apple, asking for the best way to get a quote for 30 of their tablets, outlining your situation, and see what they come back with.

It also depends on what apps you want on the tablet, whether they are expecting the apple apps or will manage with ones available in the Google Play store (easily accessible on a PC to have a look in).

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the hardware of the Ipad, but they charge twice the price they should because of the apple name.

Sorry, can't think of any independent organisations that could suggest anything to you.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    Ipads are expensive but are so useful for newer aspects of the NC. You could always look at chromebooks as well. Suplies for schools are usually quite competitive, or TTS. As you have no IT support though, you may want to look into purchasing from a firm who offer tech support. How do you get by without one? Are you primary or secondary? Subject leader? There's a facebook group for primary computing subject leaders.

Double check with the LEA that they definitely don't have a supplier who can do you a discount through bulk purchases. Another option would be leasing- lots of schools do this now so they can just replace sets when they're outdated.

Make sure you get plenty of quotes to pass to the finance committee of the governors before you make that decision. Have you been told what your computing budget is? I'm assuming you need to get this done before the end of March and the new budgets are in place?
  • Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    It's worth noting as well that, in primary schools at least, each teacher is a specific subject leader and as such is in charge of the delegated budget for that particular subject.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In addition to buying I pads we also bought a Mac, to administer the iPads and keep them upgraded, protective cases, a lockable trolley. We had to buy licenses for various apps, too, and subscription for various sites.

This would probably be outside the scope of a single subject budget anyway, but would come from a capital budget.

Why not talk to other schools in your cluster and start by getting in some IT support/advice?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2018 at 6:56PM
    Yes a lockable trolley is a wise decision, just a thought (maybe your aware of it so apologies) but these (when I say these I mean the chargers and not the Ipads) would get PAT tested which may add an extra cost.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you are in a primary school it could be worth contacting the secondary you feed into. The IT people there ought to be able to help and there may be some advantage in aligning the tablets you get to what they already use.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You might get some advice from LASATech - scroll down to the tech bit.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Apple themselves heavily discount to educational establishments.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Im not sure where to go for advice on this, the school itself hasnt got a clue and they have put me in charge of resolving the issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks
    I suspect if you did this, the school would end up in court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure