Debt busting misssion ..

mumofthetwins
mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
edited 30 April 2018 at 2:26PM in Debt free diaries
Hi guys
So I have been trying to make a decent dint in my debts for a little while but I really need to knuckle down and make those dints a whacking big hole :D
So I have some cc debt a loan and my mortgage, I'm focusing on the cc debt at the minute it's on a 0% offer but that ends in October I am hoping to move any balance to another 0% ;)

It's me, my 2 teenage boys, and my OH (his lil boy does stay over 3 nights a week as well) .. they are all boyey boys and I do know 99% of the Star Wars characters and am up on my computer and guitar jargon lol. I do have a little girl though .. my four legged little doggy Molly (she's the most muddiest, unladylike pooch but she does add to the female numbers in the house !

The boys are both 15 and are just starting to ask for rediculously priced clothes and shoes but luckily my dad runs carboot sales and my mam does pick up loads on there for them .. I will post some of her mega deals :T .. the bootsale starts up again on Sunday meaning that hopefully we will have a bag of swag on Sunday night .. yay !

My boys both leave school next year and are very bright boys ... one is wanting to study military law and the other engineering and computer science. This is part of the reason why I really need to bust this debt, I am hoping that by the time uni comes up I will be in a much better fininacal position to help them as much as possible.

I work 2 jobs and as many extra shifts as possible, I also eBay anything my mam picks up for me from the boot sales (can't believe some of the things people sell :j ) meaning some months I will have more Income than others but at the minute I am saving what I can to bust these debts.

That's a sort of basics of our crazy Brady house ... I am really hoping that doing a DFW diary will help keep me on track ...:beer:

Lisa x

Editing to add monthly goals :

Goals for April
* £200 OP on Morg - £200/£200 - Done
* Pay £1500 into School Trip Fund - £1400/£1500
* Get CC to £5000 so £1900 to pay £905.53/£1900 - Decided to switch to STF
* Aim for 10 NSD 6/10 - 19/10 - Done
* Try to stick within grocery budget of £250 .. will be hard as boys are on holidays and eat me out of house and home £149.35/£250
* loose 4lb in weight - 4.5lb/4lb - Done
* Ebay like crazy to hit that audatous CC gaol - Ongoing until i run out of things lol
* Convert to Cash Envelopes where ever possible - Done & Loving

Goals for May ..
* Over pay Mortgage - /£200
* Pay off CC1 - /£585
* Pay £800 off CC2 - /£800
* Aim for 15 NSD - /15
* Stick to grocery budget of £250 - /£250
* Loose 4lb - /4lb
* Spend as cardless as possible
* Keep ebaying like a crazy lady lol
DFW
January £0/£11,100

NSD
January 1/31

Comments

• Day 1 of my debt busting mission ..

Well I have started by posting the above and setting up this bright shiney diary !

I set up a spreadsheet on my phone with all my incoming/outcoming, savings and debts and I have done my first on the go entry .. eeee sooo excited lol .. I picked up our weekly shop and it was logged before I left the store.

I have some expenses due in tomorrow so looking forward to making another payment and updating my spreadsheets ...

Dinner is all prepped and ready ... mine will be in the fridge for after work tonight and the boys get theirs on my way out to work .. all from stuff I have in as I am trying to make a dint in the freezer as well as the debts ;)

DS has been sent home from school .. he has had a horrible migraine and it sounds like a head cold. I am sort of worrying though as before Christmas he told me he has been getting bullied and I'm not sure when he is ill and when he is just worried about going to school. He is in top class for everything and I know this is such an important time but the bloomin school don't seem to be doing much, this is even after I told them about the massive burn scar he has on his arm from the horrible scroty bully in science lesson. I really want him to change schools but he wants to stay with his friends :(

If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom please let me know ....

Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    If he is being bullied I think I would have a quiet word with his teacher to see if they have noticed anything. If he leaves school next year I am not sure if it is worth changing schools. What does his twin brother say as presumably he is at the same school?

University is expensive so it is good to tackle debt before you have the additional expenses of that. How much debt do you have? It might be worth posting an soa which can be found on the DFW sticky.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)

Sorry about DS :( So not nice.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • If he sustained the burn during a science lesson, I would contact the Head of the Science dept as well as the teacher. Ask if an accident report has been completed.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Hi Mumofthetwins

Good luck with your debt busting.

I've had bullying issues with my dd over the past year of the same age as your ds. I would initially be contacting the head of behaviour and head of house to express my concerns.

He could well be saying that he's ill to avoid going to school but it's a good indicator that something is wrong if this is out of character.

The good thing is that your ds has confided in you and you can now watch for any further signs and help him.My dd kept it to herself and the first I knew of it was when I saw she'd self harmed.

I would kept in contact with school and make a nuisance of myself if you feel that they are not listening to you. I've been fobbed off by school, told that what dd was experiencing wasn't bullying and she was only perceiving it as bullying!

My dd ended up seeing a child psychologist for 6 months and has learnt coping techniques and although she still gets comments from this one girl she is alot stronger and knows how to deal with it now. I am so proud of her and the way she's dealt with it all as she was at rock bottom at the end of 2017 but fingers crossed 2018 will be a great year for her.

I truly hate bullying, they just feed their own insecurities by been nasty to other people. I hope you get it sorted as these school years are so important and you don't want this period of time to impact the rest of his life.

Take care xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Bullying is truely vile :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hi guys .. thanks for the welcome :)

I have spoken to his head of house regarding the bullying and she has said that they will have a word with the boys involved. .. it's just so upsetting as he has changed from an outgoing determined quite opioniated kid into a much quieter kid who now hates school. I am really worried as he has always been in the top classes and in the top few kids but with missed time and everything I do t want his studies to drop. :( .. I had parents evening last week and mentioned it to his science teacher and she knew nothing about it, the head of science has now been informed and his English teacher (these are the only 2 subjects that they have together). ... I am going to call today as I want any catch up work he might need sent home for over the school holidays.
    Choo so sorry to hear about your little one .. some kids are sooo cruel. My son was the same and kept it to himself from September until December when he just broke down but he still wouldn't say who it was at that point, he did tell me a couple of weeks ago though so I have been into school and they are going to speak to the boys involved. I know what you mean about being fobbed off, I was so annoyed when I discovered that the HOH hadn't even mentioned to the subject teachers involved. Hopefully both my DS and your DD find themselves much stronger and determined from this.

So debt busting has been going good :) yesterday was a NSD .. whoop and I'm hopefully on track for another tomorrow .. yay !
    I have had my expenses paid in and I was soooo excited about updating my spreadsheet and making another payment lol

Dinners are all from the freezer tonight and I have planned and hopefully the next few days should be the same ;)

My bloomin gas has just beeped so that needs topping up so any tips on saving on gas and electric would be sooooo appreciated :)
    I'm off work until this evening and normally I would just do a wash today even if it was just small loads Naha nope .. I am going to wait until the weekend and do a real full sized wash .. first thing to hopefully save some electric :)
    I've cooked tonight's dinner along with a cake for through the week this morning while I had the oven on again hopefully save sone electric lol

I think I might try to get a couple of bits listed on eBay today and any extra income will go straight to debts ... I haven't got much to go on but any extra is a few pennies less debt ..

So off to hunt some stuff for eBay :)

Thanks for listening and all your advice guys .. you lot rock !

Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Day 3 of DBM ..

well yesterday I managed another NSD so really chuffed with that .. yay !
    today I have done all my banking and spread sheet updates BUT I found that my sons phone bill was up by £9.99 the sneakly little bug must have signed up to spotify or something .. so I will be getting that cancelled when I get home ;)
    SS and Bank do tally though and with hopefully 3 NSD in a row it seems to be working .. my OH thinks im loopy as I keep telling him how much I love my spread sheet :)
    I have all meals planned tonight but I forgot to take the meatballs out of the freezer so I think I am going to have to make a couple of amendments .. gonna just stick to what I have in though

Works ok today .. been in a seminar all morning then its back home this afternoon and out to job number 2 tonight :) I am really lucky in that I do love the jobs that I have :):)
    no sales on the ebay front but I did manage to list 7 buy it nows yesterday and my parents are back at the carboot sale this weekend so will hopefully have a couple of bits to go on next week.

I did have to make the boys school trip payment yesterday but I have been budgeting and saving for this sepreate and I had the cash to pay straight of .. must do that when I get home.
    I also soooo need to remember to call my car insurance as that is due next week but they still have my old cc that I paid of and cancelled on file so need to make sure I give them updated info .. luckily I have been putting the weekly expenses I am paid into an account and there should be enough to cover it .. if not I will raid my coppers tin and top up ;)

So its nearly lunch and I am starving .. I left in a rush this morning ( hence no meatballs) and forgot to take my pack up but I do have emergency biccies in my drawer .. they are weight watcher ones so hopefully I can eat and not blow my weight loss this week (normally I would have just nipped to the shops and grabbed a meal deal but no way am I spending with a potential run of 3NSD lol )

so that me with another fab Debt Busting day under my belt signing off .. for now lol
    Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Debt busting mission Day 4 (I think lol)

So slightly late today but it has been a busy day ... work this morning then general houses things today :( busy but productive

On the plus it has been a NSD so win win ... I've now decided that unless its desperate or I have at least 4 things on my must get list I am not venturing to any shops .. so far it seems to be working :) I am also going to give Lidl a try on next Shop day as everyone seems to get some nice things at reasonable prices from there

Boys left for their dads but he drives me INSANE ! Even though they are twins he has one clear obvious favourite ... he only sees them once a fortnight (his choice) and last time he dropped the non favourite one back home at 8am as he was going out for the day with the other one .. this drives me so mad and makes me !!!55357;!!!56865;. I am fully expecting the same in the morning ... he's such a bloomin idiot ! .. rant over sorry.

I have taken tomorrows dinner out of the freezer and am treating the boys to steak ... and it will be a home made giant squashy cookie for them for afters :) .. not sure what I'm having but there's some rather bleak looking salad in the fridge that could do with getting used up.

I think I'm going to try staying up late tonight and catch up with n some tv .. I feel like I need to if it's a Saturday and the boys are out .. ill still prob be asleep by 11 though !!!55357;!!!56834;

So good night guys ... hope you have all had a fab Saturday and an even better Sunday waiting for tomorrow ... oooo just remembered it's bootsale day tomorrow so fingers crossed for some bargains ;)

Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • DBM Day 5:

Well as the shops are now closed I can officially declare andother NSD :T

Boys have just came back from their dads and both seem in a pretty good mood even though they are stttarrrrvinng (thier words lol)

I managed to list a few more eBay bits today that I had shoved under the bed :D .. nothing of mega value but it does all add up ;)
    My mam picked up a few bits at the bootsale but she doesn't get back until late ... I know she picked up some bits for the boys, but it's all exciting waiting to see what we have :j. I will try to post any mega finds if I make it along later x

On a bit more of a miserable note I woke up all night last night with head aches and now have a sore throats and starting to feel a bit sick .. gutted as I prepped my tandoori chicken for tea tonight but really don't think I could handle it :(. I'm thinking that lil one was ill last week and it wasn't the bullying that was the problem .. welll on that occasion.

Well I think tonight is going to be feed the boys then early night ready for work tomorrow ... hoping I feel better as I really can't take any time off.

Hope everyone has had a fab Sunday ... see ya tomorrow x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts