PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greentiger wrote: »
    I'm reading "His Bloody Project" too, Syman. It was a Christmas present from my daughter. She's a librarian and she had also recommended the Harry Quebert one.

I am enjoying HBP, it is a bit different since you know 'whodunnit' and he's in the jail from the start and he's happy with that. It's a different mix of fact and fiction.

Little over a third read. Enjoying it so far. Not so much a "whodunnit" as a "whydunnit"!
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Diving in as I am determined to read more this year

Current choice is

the-museum-of-you.jpg?w=720

I started reading this, but about 1/4 way in, I decided I was not that bothered about finding out about the you of the museum and have stopped.

that was my other 'treat'/rule about reading this year! ... if I am not enjoying a book/not caring about the characters, then I don't need to finish it!!!

I'm very excited though, as I had totally forgotten that before Christmas I pre-ordered High Force: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 5) by LJ Ross for my kindle and a couple of days ago it 'landed' :0) all the DCI Ryan books are set in Northumberland, ( esp. Lindesfarne and surrounds ) and I like reading books set in places I know!
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Sat up late finishing The Interestings. Brilliant book, five stars!

Lined up ready is Susan Hill's The Shadows in the Street - the fifth Simon Serrailler case. I've only taken to police procedurals in the last couple of years, but now I like to slip one in every so often. So I'm working my way through this series.
    I also like Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series too - and there's a new one just out! So it's either the library, or wait for the paperback to come out and filter through to the charity shops.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2017 at 10:59AM
    Options
    And loocyloo, I might give the DCI Ryan ones a go!
    Thanks!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well ive finished Peter James DEAD MANS TIME, what a good book! not youre usual detective story, very moving at times , im finding that a lot with my latest choice of books it must be my age:o , now on with BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by S J WATSON, about a woman who loses her memory everytime she goes to sleep, and the only person she trusts may only be telling half the story!!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just finished reading Ada's Rules by Alice Randall and it was a fantastically interesting read for me. It was a book that really spoke to me. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. I highly recommend this book.
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Art_Deco wrote: »
    Well ive finished Peter James DEAD MANS TIME, what a good book! not youre usual detective story, very moving at times , im finding that a lot with my latest choice of books it must be my age:o , now on with BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by S J WATSON, about a woman who loses her memory everytime she goes to sleep, and the only person she trusts may only be telling half the story!!

Before i go to sleep is a great read.

Just finished "His Bloody Project" couldn't put it down. best book of the year so far.

"The Interestings" next following Winchlesea's post
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »

Lined up ready is Susan Hill's The Shadows in the Street - the fifth Simon Serrailler case. I've only taken to police procedurals in the last couple of years, but now I like to slip one in every so often. So I'm working my way through this series.
    I also like Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series too - and there's a new one just out! So it's either the library, or wait for the paperback to come out and filter through to the charity shops.

I've just started a Ruth Galloway, it was a freebie from iBooks. However, my replacement kindle has just arrived, so I think I'd better give that a good test.

I read The Teacher, another freebie and absolute dross. I was convinced that the author was American; her language and university descriptions suggest do. But no - obviously od'd on American cop TV.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »

ooooo, I like those too ... better add it to my request list at the library! THANKS :0)
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello. Hope I can join. Have been a fan of reading since I was small but don't get to read as much as I would like anymore

Last year (2016) my New Year's Resolution was to read for 30 mins a day. I think this tailed off around Feb/March time but my overall reading total for 2016 was 25 books which I was pleased with. (My target was 12)

I have set a Good Reads challenge of 17 books this year and have read one so far which was The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle

I'm now flitting between reading Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty and Confessions of a School Nurse by Michael Alexander.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure