Has anyone else had problems with Yell/ Yell.com? Going to court?

Comments

• Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Seems Yell.com has really gone to the dogs since Google bought them out. VERY glad I sent their rep away with a flea in his ear when he tried to sell me one of their packages last month!!!
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • Micky_d
    Micky_d Posts: 60 Forumite
    Hi, I too have had poor experiences with Yell. In brief, I paid for a service that I did not get. I contacted them on many occasions to resolve however, they promised the earth and delivered very little. I did consider stopping the payments until things had been resolved but this would only have put me in the position of accruing bad credit scores, as every month you do not pay, they will update the credit reference agencies.

May I suggest that you contact them, agree to pay a portion of what you owe as a goodwill gesture, buying you time to resolve the matter. Write them a strong letter informing them that you feel that they may have breached their own Ts & Cs and that you will be taking them to the distance selling onbudsman. Make sure all letters are sent recorded delivery and keep the proof. If this fails, contact trading standards to write a letter on your behalf. This tends to get cogs turning and reaches the relevant people. The fear is that if you cannot prove they misold you and it reaches court, you may loose and have a CCJ on your credit file. Good luck!!
  • Thanks Mickey - However, just to be clear, I will explain again that I don't owe Yell the money they are asking for! They did not provide the service they sold me and so I cancelled my contract with them as they refused to allow me to speak to a manager and would not respond to my email & posted complaints.
    My bill was paid by direct debit and was up to date at the time of cancellation. The alleged debt only accrued because Yell refused to acknowledge my written cancellation due to their breech of contract.

However, this means that I now have a full year of Yell mediumweight advertsing behind me (they refused to take down my ad) and so I can confirm that I have only had one genuine enquiry as a result of advertising with Yell. Their service is unsuitable for photographers. An interesting point is that after one of my complaints about not being able to find my site on Google and therefore not having any enquiries, I got a lead via my website the very next day. I believe this enquiry was made by a member of Yell staff as I responded to ask for further information but the "client" never replied!
  • Yes they are a joke because if they did their job, people would use them.
    I am about to go head to head with them after initially agree to using them then in T&C's I sent their own cancellation form back to them after eventually finding it on the internet. Then got a phone call to say that it didn't count. So my feelings are see you in court. But I think they do the old trick of selling the debt to a debt collection agency. What I can't believe is that trading standards don't clamp down on them as they are now just a rogue company trying to make a quick buck.
  • Yell_company_representative
    Yell_company_representative Posts: 2 Organisation Representative
    edited 2 December 2011 at 2:52PM
    Hi, just picked up on this thread. Sorry to hear some of your experiences – I’m keen to help resolve issues if we can, so please contact me directly via the email address within my profile and I can get a customer services colleague to contact you directly.
    [FONT=&quot]Paul
    [/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Yell. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Please contact me via paul.stamp@yellglobal.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE".
  • oldoakey
    oldoakey Posts: 146 Forumite
    Hi, just picked up on this thread. Sorry to hear some of your experiences – I’m keen to help resolve issues if we can, so please contact me directly via the email address within my profile and I can get a customer services colleague to contact you directly.
    [FONT=&quot]Paul
    [/FONT]

I have since my last post had a call and resolved the issue. But I will say that your customer service levels leave a lot to be desired.
  • I've sent Paul this email:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest in the MSE thread here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=43754862#post43754862

I am paula.paula13, the original poster. Although I'm happy to discuss the issue with Yell, my attempts to deal with them have failed as no manager has ever been willing to discuss the case. For the last few months I have been dealing with Moorcroft debt management and every time I explain to them that my case has not been properly reviewed, Yell tell them that my case is closed and will not be reviewed. This is despite me having never had any conversation with a manager at Yell! My calls and letters of complaint were not responded to until after I had cancelled my contract.

I am waiting for the case to go to court so that this issue can be properly resolved by a judge as it has not been possible to resolve it via Yell. Though, to my surprise, Yell have just instructed Moorcroft that they are no longer handling the case. Myself & Moorcroft are unsure whether this is so the final legal action can be handled by another company as no information has been given to Moorcroft. I have not even been told anything by Yell, I only know that Moorcroft are no longer handling my case because they told me in a phone call a few days ago.

There is nothing you can do via Yell UK customer services, my case is a relatively complicated one and needs to be dealt with at management level.

Best wishes[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Yell_company_representative
    Yell_company_representative Posts: 2 Organisation Representative
    Hi Paula, got the email, thank you.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Yell. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Please contact me via paul.stamp@yellglobal.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE".
  • There appears to be a double edged sword operating here... Not only are businesses being very badly handed - but web customers searching for services are also being mis-lead...

A friend recently used YELL to find a local tradesman and made a choice based on reviews posted against the business. He was ripped off, paying a high bill and still has the problem he paid the tradesman to fix. They will not come back. My friend added a negative review on Yell - which was removed after 24 hours. He put it back - it was removed again. Now he cannot login. Hmmm - so other people will continue to buy from someone who is possibly "rogue trading". If this practice is "normal" - that makes Yell a haven for rip off merchants. It would be good if this was investigated by Watchdog or Dom at the BBC - I am warning as many people as I can to stay off the website. At least the paper version gives you a random chance of hitting on a business with integrity! This may appear off topic - but its another example of how bad this company are - on both sides of the coin!
  • Hi, I've just discovered this forum and am so glad I did as my husband is currently having problems with Yell.

They also with us promised he would be on the first page and the rep 'guaranteed' he would get a minimum of 4 calls a month....................................

Looking back over our documents, which are all via e-mail, I've discovered that my husband didn't actually enter the password letters as required to make the document legally binding, will be interesting to see what they have to say about this one!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback