Card machine reader

I really need some help please.
I have been hijacked by a company called RMS services.
They are threatening to take court action against me for stuff that I haven't done.
They supplied a card reading machine at my hair salon and didn't give me the full information.
I have been in touch with them for two years trying to resolve this problem.
Can anyone help please?
Jan
Janhassall

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Youll need to provide more information.

Hijacked, what have they illegally seized or taken over? When did this happen?

Im guessing youve signed up to a contract, theyve charged you for something you might not have been aware of and you dont want to pay it or havent paid it?

We need specifics and accuracy. Ill be amazed if theyve hijacked you in anyway. People can help but try and drop any emotion and attachment. Need accurate facts to provide you with accurate answers.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 November 2017 at 5:36PM
    It's highly unlikely you signed up with them without seeing the contract. Cancellation charges etc are all in there but you need to actually read a contract before signing it.

I suspect it's all to do with non payment as these contracts typically are for 3 years.

You really need to seek help from a professional who will go through the contract with you to give you the best advice.

Your post means nothing to us as there is just far to much missing information.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bris wrote: »
    Your post means nothing to us as there is just far to much missing information.
    I fully agree
  • spadoosh wrote: »
    Youll need to provide more information.

Hijacked, what have they illegally seized or taken over? When did this happen?

Im guessing youve signed up to a contract, theyve charged you for something you might not have been aware of and you dont want to pay it or havent paid it?

We need specifics and accuracy. Ill be amazed if theyve hijacked you in anyway. People can help but try and drop any emotion and attachment. Need accurate facts to provide you with accurate answers.
    RMS sent a manager to my salon in July 2015. He told me that RMS could provide me with a card reader.
    The costs would be £9.95 per month for the rental of the machine and 1.95% per transaction.
    The installation was free,the paper rolls were free for 1 year and the manager would fill in the pci compliance forms on my behalf.
    I was never shown a contract,I was never given any details about anything other than the pricing structure.
    This would have been a good system for me to use as I have a very tiny hair salon.
    I have never used a card machine before,so I thought it was a cheap way to test the waters .
    I signed an I pad box,which the sales manager told me was just to give him permission to fill in the Pci forms and for the direct debit to be set up.
    He returned to set up the machine a week later.
    The following month I received my bank statement to find that RMS had taken out £109.02.
    I contacted the manager about this via e-mail and he promised to sort it out.
    He did not. I then e-mailed RMS and asked them to rectify this amount.
    I was then told there would be 3 further payments of £79.95. I asked how they had arrived at this amount.
    I was charged for the installation of the machine,the paper rolls and £21.95 per month.
    This not what I had agreed to and I told them so.
    In October 2015 I e-mailed them to say the whole thing was a shambles,I was willing to pay for what they had done,but wanted the rest of my monies returned and the card machine taken out.
    October 2015 they were supposed to reduce the rate to £9.95 per month and increase the % rate to 2.95 per transaction.
    I had only had 6 transactions up to 30th September2015.
    I have e-mailed various departments in RMS some 30 times over the last 2 years requesting that I be put in touch with a senior director in order to sort this out and for them to be made aware of how their managers are operating.
    I was not made aware of any contract until December 2016.
    This was told to me by a fellow called Luke by phone. I was amazed and very upset by it
    I told him I had never seen a contract let alone signed one.
    He told me I had signed a contract via the I pad and that it was for 3 years. He did post me a copy of the contract later that week.
    Again he offered to alter the payments,but it was never done.
    I have then received demands for payment to Elavon(the banking side to the business),
    Once again I have contacted them ,as I knew nothing about them to be informed that if I do not process £1000 worth of cards per month they charge me £24.95 for failing to reach this target.
    Again I knew nothing about this.
    Luke at RMS told me he would squash these payments in December 2016.
    He did not.
    I have had several demands from Elavon,some from a debt agency they have engaged.
    The amounts vary from Elavon from £24.89 to £121.54.i have e-mailed several people at Elavon and asked for a breakdown.
    The last bill was for £121.54 was generated for 23/1/2016 even though I had not used the machine for 12months and Luke was supposed to have squashed this monthly bill.
    I apologise for the length of this message,but there's a lot more than this if you would like to have more information
    The last pest e-mail from Rms(this week) is asking for just over £1000 to terminate the contract.
    If you can help me in any way I would really appreciate it,or direct me in any way.

Many thanks. Jan
    Janhassall
  • Thanks. I have posted a lot of information below.
    I hope I his clarifies some details of my problem.
    I appreciate any help you can give me. Jan
    Janhassall
  • Thanks.

I have put a lot of info on this site and I hope you can give me some help or guidance on what to do. Jan
    Janhassall
  • Really depends on what is written in the contract.

£9.95 a month seems very cheap for a bona fide card reader contract, especially for low volume.

Do you have a copy of your contract?
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RMS tried this with me

I signed an Ipad contract and then did a web search on them

I then called and emailed to cancel before they got the machine to me.

They even set up a direct debit on my account (which I cancelled).

When I called them to ask for the contract (and told them all my calls were recorded) they said it was emailed (they didn't) and I then told them I wanted to cancel

They told me I was in contract ( I said I hadn't received any contract ).
    After another call (again recorded and informed) they were told to cease and stop communicating with me and did so.

Narrow escape
    baldly going on...
  • I was never aware of the "contract". I was never asked to sign a "contract" ,only an I pad that gave the rep consent to fill in a Pci compliance form.
    It was 4or 5 months later,after a lot of problems,I had a call from a chap at RMS who informed me about a 3year contract that I had"signed".
    I told him I had never seen a contract,let alone signed one.
    He then posted a contact to me which appeared to have my signature on.
    it was totally different to what I had agreed.
    The contract stated £79.02 for a quarter.
    This argument has now gone on for 2 years.
    I hope it's resolved soon.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Janhassall
  • You were lucky.
    This has been a nightmare which has now gone on for over 2years.
    Thanks for posting.
    Janhassall
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family