Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• Signed up 11 Feb 2017. Electricity switched 13 March and gas 19 March. There is double paying at the beginning as Iresa has taken a DD on 2 March and BG took one on 16 March. The switch has been easy so far and I don't mind paying my DD upfront. The question is how long does it take for BG to give me a refund?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Signed up 11 Feb 2017. Electricity switched 13 March and gas 19 March. There is double paying at the beginning as Iresa has taken a DD on 2 March and BG took one on 16 March. The switch has been easy so far and I don't mind paying my DD upfront. The question is how long does it take for BG to give me a refund?

A supplier has 6 weeks to raise a final bill from the date of the transfer of supply. Refunds depend on the amount of any credit due and the supplier's escalating refund approvals process.
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Signed up 14th Feb. Gas switched from EON 14th March & Electric 19th March. Gas meter reading I have provided is already showing in Online account.
    No complaints from me unsure what all the fuss is? Now have the cheapest energy on the market for the next 12 months (subject to supplier staying in business) and no exit fees should a cheaper option present itself.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,701
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The fuss is that there is no problem if everything goes smoothly, the problems start when something does go wrong and you are unable to contact them. My electricity switched over on 30th Jan and my meter reads are still not showing.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Non-existing Customer Service. Best bet is wait until about 11:15 on Monday morning and send a Twitter Direct Message to @IresaEnergy and, fingers crossed, you'll catch them when they come back from coffee break.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 562
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    FAO Toshi (I can't quote on my phone)

After a phone call and now 2 emails, BG accept that if the switch is within 20 days of a tariff ending, the tariff extends. I used Hengus' info about the Conditions of Supply and abruptly, but politely, asked if they denied the conditions exist.

I now have a named contact who is monitoring the account and will ensure credits are applied to the account.

This is good news - wonder if they will now apply the same rules to the rest of us ??? :cool:
  • They set up my electricity in February, but didn't set up by gas until March, they said they would take the first direct debit in March, but in fact took it in February, so I was charged by my old supplier for March, and I paid in February with them and in March with them They did not ask for a reading, but my old supplier needed one. There is only one phone number and there were 50 people before me. They are not open at the weekend so could not contact them before they took the payment. I have sent off emails to try and sort it out, but as yet no reply, and I don't know what to do whether they will sort it out, or go with another supplier, and if so, how long it will taken, and if we can sort out the charges. I cannot tell you how upset I am. This is so unprofessional:(:(:(:(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    They set up my electricity in February, but didn't set up by gas until March, they said they would take the first direct debit in March, but in fact took it in February, so I was charged by my old supplier for March, and I paid in February with them and in March with them They did not ask for a reading, but my old supplier needed one. There is only one phone number and there were 50 people before me. They are not open at the weekend so could not contact them before they took the payment. I have sent off emails to try and sort it out, but as yet no reply, and I don't know what to do whether they will sort it out, or go with another supplier, and if so, how long it will taken, and if we can sort out the charges. I cannot tell you how upset I am. This is so unprofessional:(:(:(:(

It is often the case that when you switch suppliers that you will end up making payments to two suppliers in the same month. Iresa does make it clear in its e-mails and on its website when the first payment will be taken from your account.

The new supplier is responsible under the terms off its Supply Licence for managing all aspects of a switch. It should ask you for meter readings which are then passed to an industry third-party for verification. The verified readings are then passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. The losing supplier has up to 6 weeks from the date of transfer to raise a final bill.

We all live in an age when we demand that everything happens immediately. Sadly, the procedures that underpin the transfer of supply involve many agencies from suppliers, to meter database owners to transporters. Project NEXUS was aimed at simplifying the management, inter alia, of energy transfers. Sadly, the project is now on life support.

All that said, I accept that Iresa appears to have targeted customer growth at the expense of customer service. If you feel that Iresa is failing to manage its Licence Condition to manage your switch then report your concerns to

consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk

Ofgem will not look into your individual case but the more people that raise concerns, the more likely it is that they will take action.
  • Iresa do not answer phone calls. I have tried for weeks. Iresa do not answer emails either.
    I switched from the MSE E-on deal when it can to an end to Iresa. They have taken £160, two direct debits but I have had no updates no switch confirmation, nothing. But they are good at taking your money.
    Use them at your peril.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Hengus wrote: »
    First, you need to look at the chronology. Iresa do NOTHING for the first 14 days (i.e.; during the cooling off period) whereas most suppliers start the appropriate transfer notifications when they are told of a switch request. This is important as if BG was notified of a transfer at day 21 or later after the end of your fixed contract then it is right to move you on to the standard variable tariff. I suspect that the above is unlikely but it is worth checking.

If you are happy that your situation sits within the SLC requirement then make a formal complaint in writing and say that, if they wish to stand their ground, you would like the matter to be deadlocked. This gives you the right to take your complaint to the EO without having to wait 8 weeks.

I would also refer the matter to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk asserting that the supplier is not compliant with the SLC relating to fixed tariff contracts. Ask for the matter to be referred to their Compliance Department and offer to send them a copy of your bill. You will not get a detailed response to your concerns from Ofgem but no supplier likes to have the Regulator knock on their door.

Hi Hengus, just to clear things up; if we were to announce a price rise or the withdrawal of a tariff that didn't have an end date, then you can switch within 20 working days and you would still be charged at the same rates.

When a fixed term deal is coming to an end, we'll write to you to remind you and you can switch up to 49 days before it's due to end without any penalty.

However it's not a price rise or change to your contract as it was always agreed the tariff would end on a specific date and if a switch isn’t completed before the end date, you would switch to our Standard tariff rates.

If you wish you can view the Electricity Supply Standard Licence Conditions at https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/licences-codes-and-standards/licences/licence-conditions & you'll find the necessary info on page 141 Section 22C.3 (c) (iv) which states:

If the Domestic Customer does not change supplier or does not expressly agree a new Evergreen Supply Contract, a new Fixed Term Supply Contract or a further fixed term period for a Fixed Term Supply Contract by the date the fixed term period of the existing Fixed Term Supply Contract is due to end, the Domestic Customer will become subject to the Relevant Cheapest Evergreen Tariff.

Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure