Help needed to fatten up dog

Options

Comments

• kirstyreanne
    kirstyreanne Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Not so much for fattening dogs up but for a treat which they absolutely love make up some liver bread for them:

You need 1lb raw sliced liver, 2 cups of flour, & 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
    Mix the liver on high in a blender until it is frothy & pour into a bowl. Add two cups of flour and the garlic powder and mix well. Pour in to a greased pan and bake at 350degrees for 25 mins.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You might want to consider bones and raw food (BARF) - chicken wings are ideal for this. There are pros & cons and BARF has its supporters and opposers. My dog loves BARF.

And before it's mentioned, raw chicken bones are NOT dangerous. It's the cooked ones that splinter and can cause problems.

A UK BARF site here - Google for more.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • mrsn_2
    mrsn_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    [/QUOTE]You might want to consider bones and raw food (BARF) - chicken wings are ideal for this. There are pros & cons and BARF has its supporters and opposers. My dog loves BARF.

And before it's mentioned, raw chicken bones are NOT dangerous. It's the cooked ones that splinter and can cause problems.

and it keeps their teeth lovely and white and clean
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and it keeps their teeth lovely and white and clean
    Yes it does. I think a lot of doggie health issues we see now are as a result of scientifically researched kibble based food. One look at the label had me running - possibly the most processed food I've ever seen. And the smell :eek:

I think Jamie Oliver should tackle doggie junk food next ;)

:D
  • mrsn_2
    Options
    have you read the book - give your dog a bone !!

Scarey.

Karen
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a roasted marrowbone tonight, that seems to ahve gone down well, except I have about a gallon of saliva all over the kitchen floor.

Still the dog's wierd. I opened a nice can of prime meaty chunks and mixer, but she preferred the pizza crusts leftover!
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • aromaannie
    aromaannie Posts: 57 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you wormed your dog? How about mixing up some gravy and pouring that over his/her food?
  • Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another thought N9eave ;) Have you a nice, friendly local butcher? If you do, butter them up for "dog scraps" and fresh marrow bones. Our butcher gives us fantastic scraps, lovely ends of the roast beef and pork that they sell sliced etc. In fact, they look too good for the dogs :rotfl:

Fleago
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    N9eav wrote:
    I bought a roasted marrowbone tonight, that seems to ahve gone down well, except I have about a gallon of saliva all over the kitchen floor.

Still the dog's wierd. I opened a nice can of prime meaty chunks and mixer, but she preferred the pizza crusts leftover!

It sounds like the dog has been fed on leftover human food and is used to this. I think you'll need to wean her off it. My suggestions ....

Don't give her anything in between her meal times.

Put her food down, leave it for 20 minutes. If she doesn't eat it, take it away. Leave for an hour, put it down again. Take away after 20 minutes ... repeat.

If she eats some, but not all her food, still take the remainder away after 20 minutes and give her nothing until the next mealtime.

You may need to continue to give her your leftovers, but start to add your choice of dog food. Do it in small portions first and gradually build up the dog food and reduce your leftovers, until she's eating 100% dog food.

you may need to experiment with different dog food, but I'd leave this until she is 100% on the brand you've initially selected. Don't change the brand whilst you're weaning her off your leftovers.

Start to use dog food as a treat, for when she's good. Make a big fuss of it. Pretend to eat some yourself, then offer it to her, giving her fuss & praise.

When you feed her, shut her in the kitchen (or wherever you feed her) and leave her to concentrate on her food.

Don't allow her near the table when you eat and DO NOT feed her titbits from the table.

It could take some time ... I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Good Luck :)
  • mrsn_2
    Options
    Out of interest is she eating the "human food" from your hand, or from a bowl ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure