Pet Insurance Discussion Area (2004-2005)

Options
Evening!
Can anyone recommend Pet Insurance for an 8 year old terrier?

Comments

• Wayne_Looney
    Options
    Hi Jimble,

Most pet insurers only insure dogs up to a certain age because they obviously become a high risk as they get older.

I have 4 dogs,2 of which are older now,aged 9 and 11 and suprisingly i was offered insurance through Morethan.They insure dogs of any age,however it comes at a price but it is available should you want it.

If you insure a pup through them it ends up cheaper in the long run because they know its full medical history,however for newer customers like us with older dogs we pay a premium because they don`t know/trust previous history.

Worth a phone call but make sure you are sitting down :o
  • Babylonian_2
    Options
    Official note: Click reply to ask questions and discuss the Pet insurance cost-cutting article.

Hi - about to take care of new dog - currently transfering with the very expensive Petplan insurance.
    I've done a search for pet insurance but it seems unclear with many quotes via the internet whether chronic treatment is included for whole of life.
    Has anyone found a good deal to reccommend?
    Many thanks.
  • Babylonian_2
    Options
    I'll reply to myself and share that Marks and Spencer seem to have a very competitive rate at the moment...
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just got a 3 month old kitten. I should get him neutered at 6 months old and vaccinated, wormed and fleaed. What I am curious about is do any of the pet insurance companies cover this sort of thing or is only misfortunes.

Louise
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    When we were looking for cover earlier this year we did find one that covered the annual vaccination but not worming etc. It worked out more expensive than cover from Petplan and then paying for the vaccinations ourselves (we also live in the south where the vets bills are the most expensive!).

I know some vets offer there "own plans" that cover everything but this is very regional. All I can suggest is ring up the local vets near to you and ask.

Doug
  • EmmaH_2
    EmmaH_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Louise,

I'm not aware of any insurers that would insure for neutering, vaccinations etc. However, if you would like to insure you kitten against misfortunes, I can recommend Direct Line; I have 3 Burmese cats and my monthly premium is £19.78.

Emma.
    Titch :)
  • howardtom4y
    Options
    I was with Lloyds direct for my dog but included her on my house insurance with NFU now pay approx £8/month with a £25 excess.
    Its only me from over the seas said Barnacle Bill the sailor
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Although I don't know if anyone who includes routine treatment in their cover, I can recommend Sainsbury's Pet Insurance.

We got 2 cats in April, and at about the same time Sainsbury's launched Pet Insurance. It is only £3.99 per month per cat, and pretty much gives the highest available levels of cover. Couldn't find anyone else nearly as good. :D
  • lynnemcf
    lynnemcf Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also looking for pet insurance. I want to make sure my dog is covered for the whole of their life. My Westie (now sadly passed away) was insured with Pet Plan who were excellent (my claims far exceeded my premiums) however three years ago Pet Plan to cover him anymore. It is when your pet has ongoing health problems that the benefits of a good plan become clear. I certainly dont feel let down by Pet Plan, I just want to make sure I have whole life cover with my next plan. I intend to ask the advice of my vet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure