DLA for 76 year old

I'm trying to help my Grandma apply for a blue badge.
Firstly, she has lost the actual award letter, but I can see from her recent April increase letter that she receives higher rate mobility DLA. It says further on down this letter that if you were 16-64 in April 2013 you will be affected by the introduction of PIP. (But she was 71 in 2013). It also says everyone else in receipt of DLA will not be contacted until 2015.
I was intending to ring DWP to ask them how long her award is for and send a confirmation letter so I can apply for her blue badge. However, I'm reading online that people over 65 are not entitled to DLA!

I'm worried that if I ring I might trigger some sort of PIP transfer or review.
Does anyone know?

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2019 at 5:31PM
    If she first received DLA before she was aged 65 then it will continue after age 65. That sounds like what has happened with your gran.

A phone call for a copy of her award letter should not trigger any sort of action

As the letter says your gran will not be asked to transfer to PIP

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/if-you-get-dla/
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm trying to help my Grandma apply for a blue badge.
    Firstly, she has lost the actual award letter, but I can see from her recent April increase letter that she receives higher rate mobility DLA. It says further on down this letter that if you were 16-64 in April 2013 you will be affected by the introduction of PIP. (But she was 71 in 2013). It also says everyone else in receipt of DLA will not be contacted until 2015.
    I was intending to ring DWP to ask them how long her award is for and send a confirmation letter so I can apply for her blue badge. However, I'm reading online that people over 65 are not entitled to DLA!

I'm worried that if I ring I might trigger some sort of PIP transfer or review.
    Does anyone know?

What you are confusing this with is the maximum age to put in a new claim for PIP (which is 65)

A person is automatically eligible for a badge if they are over two years old and meet at least one of the following criteria:
    a receives the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance;

Besides - you do not have to be claiming DLA or PIP mobility to receive a BlueBadge !!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Won't the April increase letter be sufficient as proof of the award to show she gets get the mobility component at higher rate? I'm fairly sure I've used it in the past.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Elsien is correct about the letter:beer: - did an application for a 69 year old last month and the letter showing the increase was all that was shown.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    If you have problems getting the Blue Badge, all you need is a letter from your mum's GP, with details of reasons for the badge. There might be a small charge for this, but it will be money well spent. Check your mum's paperwork for the original DLA grant, get a photocopy and send that too. Once she has the Badge, it is easy to re-order online when it becomes due for renewal.

The original Grant Letter is useful, as it shows the original grant date.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Robisere wrote: »
    The original Grant Letter is useful, as it shows the original grant date.
    The council will insist on a letter less than 12 months old to confirm person is still in receipt of the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    missile wrote: »
    The council will insist on a letter less than 12 months old to confirm person is still in receipt of the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance.

When I got to the local one stop shop to renew my Blue Badge they wouldn't accept my 2 page letter from DWP about PIP that showed what I will be paid this year (which clearly proves that I get top rate mobility).

We had to phone DWP and ask for the further 4 page document that gives the actual points awarded for all the different activities.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    When I got to the local one stop shop to renew my Blue Badge they wouldn't accept my 2 page letter from DWP about PIP that showed what I will be paid this year (which clearly proves that I get top rate mobility).

We had to phone DWP and ask for the further 4 page document that gives the actual points awarded for all the different activities.
    That's correct because you're claiming mobility PIP, only the moving around part of mobility PIP automatically qualifies you to a BB (except wales).

DLA mobility is totally different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport