Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Hope you & your friend can find can find a way forward carbootcrazy.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I forced myself to ring NPow3r as it's been niggling me for weeks and I wanted to sort it out one way or another. It's not good news :(.

I spoke to someone and although we are using LESS power, wholesale electricity prices have gone up 50% and gas prices have gone up 25%. Unbelievable I know. I got her to repeat it three times. Did you say 50%? Fifty per cent not fifteen percent? 50%? But yes electricity really HAS gone up 50% :eek: :eek:. Unless you're lucky enough to be on a fixed tarrif, which we are not.

So despite not using the heating, not using the tumbler, and DS3 having moved out, we still have to pay £45 per week :eek:. We could move onto a fixed rate but that would be £47 per week.

Brave of you to phone at all, but horrid outcome.

I've been looking at washing machine usage:

'The reason that standard washing cycles are getting longer relates to a theory from back in the 1960s called the ‘Sinner’s Circle’ and the need to cut down on energy consumption – as consumers look to save money on their utility bills and manufacturers fight to achieve an A+++ energy label. The idea is that the overall cleaning power is made up of five elements – temperature, detergent, spinning, water and time – and that if you decrease one part, you can increase another part of the circle to attain the same quality of wash'

The longer programmes use fewer drum revolutions, giving a less intense although longer and thorough wash. The short one most people seem to find washes just as efficiently, but if the washing is really dirty this may not be the case.. If you actually want to watch the drum (!!), it goes round much more in the time. A Siemens comparison found the shorter one did indeed use less electricity, as well as having the advantage of being able to fit it into smaller slots of available time, like just enough time to wash before breakfast and get it out while there's some sun.

So it seems to work out that for everyday washing, use the shorter washes and only use a long one for really dirty things.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,829
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    How much of that weekly payment is your debt? It's double what we are paying and we are not ridiculously frugal. Is it worth writing a complaint to N Power and try and get the debt repayment reduced somewhat. If you write a proper complaint, you might get through to someone with more authority than a customer services person on the phone.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,829
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Congrats CBC on your F&F :T :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • I hope you have a lovely morning, HH, and that being with the children cheers you up and eases the stress about money for a while.
    Given how much you get out of the school work, maybe a part time job would help lift your mood. I know my gut instinct is to hide from the world when I feel low. I also know that when I have forced myself to engage, I feel better for it.

Is there a careers advisor you could speak to?
    I agree with INOD. A part time job with school children would be fantastic for you.

Sorry things are hard.

You are doing so well ((hugs))

Thank you all :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • f
    Hi Hairy,I hope you have a lovely time with the children this morning,I took your advice and called SC and just wanted to say thankyou for taking the time to advise me when you are having such a hard time yourself xx

Not a problem OBL. It's much easier to help other people than sort out your own problems :rotfl:. Well done for ringing SC :T.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Just had a phonecall from my bereaved friend who'd like me to go to see her today. She needs some help with her brother. Her son and family have set off for the airport this morning as they fly back home to Canada tomorrow. I don't think it's immediate help she needs, rather some ideas and solutions for organising and getting her brother and his car (which he's badly damaged twice by scraping walls this past week and obviously incapable of driving alone now) back to his own home which is a few hours drive away. His mental state has really deteriorated, he's very confused much of the time now but in every lucid moment gets very distressed that he can't go home. My friend has had to hide his car keys.

I've already had a couple of ideas which might or might not involve OH but he's up for it if it comes to either of those ideas being acceptable.

What a tricky problem Carboot :eek:. You are such a good friend :T. I'm glad you've got some ideas.

I guess his GP at home may need to get involved in his care! Should someone write to the DVLA and advise them that he is a little dangerous before someone gets hurt? Good luck.
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy your volunteering today.

Thanks Beanie :)
  • Brave of you to phone at all, but horrid outcome.

I've been looking at washing machine usage:

'The reason that standard washing cycles are getting longer relates to a theory from back in the 1960s called the ‘Sinner’s Circle’ and the need to cut down on energy consumption – as consumers look to save money on their utility bills and manufacturers fight to achieve an A+++ energy label. The idea is that the overall cleaning power is made up of five elements – temperature, detergent, spinning, water and time – and that if you decrease one part, you can increase another part of the circle to attain the same quality of wash'

The longer programmes use fewer drum revolutions, giving a less intense although longer and thorough wash. The short one most people seem to find washes just as efficiently, but if the washing is really dirty this may not be the case.. If you actually want to watch the drum (!!), it goes round much more in the time. A Siemens comparison found the shorter one did indeed use less electricity, as well as having the advantage of being able to fit it into smaller slots of available time, like just enough time to wash before breakfast and get it out while there's some sun.

So it seems to work out that for everyday washing, use the shorter washes and only use a long one for really dirty things.

Thanks Elizabeth. That makes sense I suppose, so it's short washes from now on :).
  • jwil wrote: »
    How much of that weekly payment is your debt? It's double what we are paying and we are not ridiculously frugal. Is it worth writing a complaint to N Power and try and get the debt repayment reduced somewhat. If you write a proper complaint, you might get through to someone with more authority than a customer services person on the phone.

I don't understand it at all Jwil and I don't trust them :mad:. £6 a week is the debt repayment, so £39 a week is our supposed usage :mad:.

I think you're right, when I get time I'll write a letter complaining and see what happens.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure