PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh, Fozzie, sounds like you've had a lovely day :) Any chance of the recipe you use for Devon Scones please? I'm feeling the need to do some baking and I think they'd hit the spot :)

Today is definitely an NSD! First I've had for ages :D

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2012 at 3:36PM
    Options
    quick trip into town this morning...needed fruit as we had none left at all...didnt help with BabyD eating 20 satsumas in 4 days lol :rotfl:
    also got Leeks for pie tonight..so £6 on market

Then to MrTs for a few basics...ham 2 loaves...3 boxes of cereal..flour cocoa and icing sugar for the chocloate cakes for School so another £11.50 in there...

£17.50 will be added....Nsd yesterday and tomorrow xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Now down to £75.42. It's the first time I had been to a supermarket for a shop than an online delivery for years. However I have got the makings for little bear's lunches next week, some strawberries for a treat and the ingredients for a new recipe that I want to try.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Save Dosh- Maybe today has been my LBM that makes alot of sense actually!!

The red wine from Al*i (Toro Loco) is fantastic- OH just opened it for us to try and you could easily pass it off as an expensive wine im very impressed :D

Fozzie- Your day sounds fab- really girlie!! I would also like the scone recipe if you dont mind

Ive not stopped all day- food shopping, cleaning, ironing and then ran out and mowed the front and back lawn (jungle) whilst I had chance before it rained again :eek: so im off to have a shower and spend the evening with a nice HM curry, some nice (cheap) wine ;) and a couple of recipe books to ensure this £60 lasts me :D
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2012 at 5:15PM
    Options
    foozzie sounds like a really lovely morning
    xspender keep an eye on approvedfood as they sometimes have GF cereal and flour in very cheap and it might be worth a big order
    helenjelly
    oh knows perfectly well how i feel, i explain things in the way he asks but he just chooses to ignore it or forgots very easily. hmmph!

£4.78 spend at Mr S on basic water, tinned veg, sardines and eggs.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, Fozzie, sounds like you've had a lovely day :) Any chance of the recipe you use for Devon Scones please? I'm feeling the need to do some baking and I think they'd hit the spot :)

Today is definitely an NSD! First I've had for ages :D

K xx

Yes, it was a smashing day, thank you!! :T

I use this Mary Berry recipe for Devon scones:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8737895/Mary-Berrys-Devonshire-scones-recipe.html
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Just to add to my long boring post, i do feel that people would benefit being taught to budget. I used to earn lots of money (pre kids), but did not have a clue about saving or budgeting, I am now unemployed (unfortunately), single, with 2 children (19 year twins) and i feel more in control with things 'cause i can manage my purse. i can exist well on a shoestring, if needed could probably feed an army for a year on the supplies we have, I think good came out of my lack of money, if you know what i mean. I do think its something that should be taught in schools

I agree :T My DD who is year 5 (10 years old) had an assignment this week to feed a family of 4 with a £90 budget. They were given a folder with prices of items and had to include breakfast, packed lunch, and dinner each day, AND make it healthy. She turned to me last night and said "Mum, I honestly don't know how you do it, food is SO expensive" :rotfl:
    XSpender wrote: »

I was a bit annoyed as I bought a head of broccolli and didnt realise that it had a big lump of rot on it. I was evem more annoyed when I checked my receipt this morning to see it cost £1.35:eek: It wasn't even that big:eek:

There was an article on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show last week where a brocolli farmer was saying that due to the weather this year there is a brocolli shortage. Will add to the price and quality big time. I used to buy brocolli every week but have been buying alternatives of late - cabbage, sugar snap peas etc.

Just a £2 spend on some ham for me today. Been too busy painting the hallway, stairwell and landing. Blooming hard work!
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    quick trip into town this morning...needed fruit as we had none left at all...didnt help with BabyD eating 20 satsumas in 4 days lol/QUOTE]

That made me laugh, I presume thats her 5 a day sorted then.
    Slimming World at target
  • supersally01
    supersally01 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all,

DS05 has been poorly, so spent £1.50 on own brand Calpol, and £1.88 on fruit shoot drinks, never buy them as too dear, but he likes them as a treat.

So £3.38 to add. Been a long day as worked last night, at least the sun is shining!!

Hope all are doing well with money saving, jam sandwich for lunch with Mr A's reduced price jam!!

Sally.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Craigyvw and the other person who posted their budget - I'm really sorry but I can't remember who it was - could you post your target again as I've gone and lost the bit of paper that I had written it down on - huge sorries, Helen x

adelight - hope you and OH are ok today - hugs

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business