Annual Pension Contribution Allowance

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    NoMore wrote: »
    Thanks for quoting me out of context where I go on to say you need to use all of your 40k up before using carry forward.

And yes the make up of that 40k can be affected by a Pension Input Amount from a DB pension that people don't realise how big it could be. But I was trying to keep it simple. but I appreciate your more precise and expansive answer, although my answer was basically the same in that the OP can't use carryforward.
    The point is that this question is asked time and time again here, and the reason is the OP has read some oversimplified rubbish which attempts to combine two unrelated limits into one, like "the limit is £40k or your earned income whichever is lower". They then get confused by carry forwards, pension input amounts etc as they apply to the annual allowance not the earned income tax relief limit.

If you want to simplify it for the likes of the OP on around £20k salary, just tell them to completely ignore the annual allowance. It's not relevant, unless very odd circumstances. Their only constraint in the earned income limit. So they can ignore £40k, they can ignore pension input amounts, they can forget carry forwards, they can ignore employer contributions, all those are features of the annual allowance, not the earned income tax relief limit.

So, for the benefit of the OP, if say you earned £23k and contributed £3k to your employer's scheme, resulting in taxable income of £20k, then £20k gross is what you can pay into your SIPP. You pay 80% of this and the SIPP provider claims the 20% tax relief, so the max you can pay in is £16k and the SIPP provider will claim the £4k tax relief.
  • Sibbers123
    Sibbers123 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can contribute more than 100% of your net relevant earnings but you won't receive tax relief for the excess.

Anyone in your position would just think about spreading their contributions over a number of years... What's the rush?

Alternatively, ask for a pay rise ;)
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2019 at 9:49PM
    greenpeter wrote: »
    My understanding was that I can contribute up to 100% of income per year and backdate this for 3 tax years
    Backdating or carrying forward income is prohibited for pensions. Only unused annual allowance can be carried forward.

It's possible but unlikely for the annual allowance to restrict you. It'd take employer contributions at an unlikely level.

You're limited by both:

1. your gross pay and other relevant income in the tax year of the contributions. Pension contributions by you that after tax relief are above this aren't entitled to tax relief so there's usually no point
    2. and 16 times the increase in value of defined benefit pensions plus the value of employer contributions and the gross value of your own contributions must be less than the annual allowance plus available carry-forward or you will have some lifetime allowance charge to pay on the excess
  • Thanks. This is very well explained and I have been struggling with getting the correct info. for a while now.
    I am in the teachers pension (DB) and this is how I have calculated my maximum extra payment into an AVC over and above the usual pension to the teachers pension.

I earn £38500 p/y and contributed £11k (my PIP from TP for last year) to the teachers pension, resulting in taxable income of £27,500. £27,500 gross is what I can pay into my SIPP/AVC. [This is under the £40000 threshold so is ok]. I pay 80% of this and the SIPP/AVC provider claims the 20% tax relief, so the max I can pay in is £22,000 and the SIPP/AVC provider will claim the £5,500 tax relief.
    Total going towards my pension and SIPP/AVC in the year would be £11k + £27,5k = £38,5k but I will only have paid £4k (my TP contribution) + £22k = £26k, the other £12,5k coming from the PIP and tax relief.
    I think this is correct now (please let me know if its not) so thanks again for your clear explanation. :)
  • NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    At the risk of being corrected by zagfles again :), the PIP is just a nominal amount used to test against the AA, it is in no way an actual amount that went into your DB pension, its just represents how much your benefits have grown over the last year.
  • zagfles
    NoMore wrote: »
    At the risk of being corrected by zagfles again :), the PIP is just a nominal amount used to test against the AA, it is in no way an actual amount that went into your DB pension, its just represents how much your benefits have grown over the last year.
    Spot on ;)
  • zagfles
    edited 15 July 2019 at 9:59PM
    Thanks. This is very well explained and I have been struggling with getting the correct info. for a while now.
    I am in the teachers pension (DB) and this is how I have calculated my maximum extra payment into an AVC over and above the usual pension to the teachers pension.

I earn £38500 p/y and contributed £11k (my PIP from TP for last year)
    PIP is Pension Input Period, you mean PIA, Pension Input Amount
    to the teachers pension, resulting in taxable income of £27,500.
    As correctly pointed out above, in a DB scheme the PIA has nothing whatsoever to do with your taxable income. Your taxable income is your income minus your contributions to the DB scheme, as your P60 should show.
    £27,500 gross is what I can pay into my SIPP/AVC. [This is under the £40000 threshold so is ok].
    No...that's not the max.
    I pay 80% of this and the SIPP/AVC provider claims the 20% tax relief, so the max I can pay in is £22,000 and the SIPP/AVC provider will claim the £5,500 tax relief.
    Total going towards my pension and SIPP/AVC in the year would be £11k + £27,5k = £38,5k but I will only have paid £4k (my TP contribution) + £22k = £26k, the other £12,5k coming from the PIP and tax relief.
    I think this is correct now (please let me know if its not) so thanks again for your clear explanation. :)
    No it's not. You seem to have misunderstood.

Your taxable income is £38500 minus your contributions £4k = £34500. That's what your P60 and last payslip of the tax year should show (adjusting for any payrises in year, overtime etc).
    As I said above, you need to look at the two pension contribution limits completely separately.

For the purposes of the annual allowance, your PIA is £11k (note this can vary depending on inflation, payrises and if you've got a final salary element a payrise can cause a massive spike in the PIA, but assume it's £11k).

That leaves you £29k remaining annual allowance plus any carry forwards you have. If the PIA has been £11k for the last few years, and no AVC/SIPP contributions etc, you will have loads of carry forwards, about £29k times 3. So you could have about £116k available annual allowance this year. You can check on an annual allowance calculator eg HL's one: https://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/contributions/carry-forward-rule/annual-allowance-calculator

If so, the annual allowance isn't an issue for you this year. Your constraint is the other completely separate limit, the earned income tax relief limit which does not use PIAs, and does not allow carry forwards. This is your taxable income, so you could put all your taxable income into a SIPP, ie £34500 gross into a SIPP, £27600 net.

But you couldn't do that long term, as you'd run out of carry fowards after a few years, as the PIA of £34500 plus £11000 = £45500 exceeds the annual allowance if you have no carry forwards left. Without carry forwards, you are limited by the annual allowance, since you only have £29k spare after the £11k PIA to the DB scheme, so that is your max contribution as that's less than the earned income limit (£34500). So you'd only be able to pay £29k gross, ie £23200 net into a SIPP.

Sorry if it's hard to understand but if you're going to make big pension contributions it's essential you understand all this rather than rely on oversimplified rubbish which tells you as you earn under £40k you can't use carry forwards, the annual allowance doesn't apply, you can put the max of £40k or your earnings into a pension etc. You're the perfect example of why this oversimplified rubbish is wrong.
  • Thank you Zagfles for taking the time to understand my situation and to write this detailed reply. I will need to read it a few time to digest it properly and fully understand it as I agree that it is vital that I understand it properly before I start making large contributions.
  • Ok, I've had time to digest this information and now it makes sense. I have never paid into anything other than the TP so have not used up any previous years AA.

Using actual figures from last years P60 and my current payslips, (I will get a 2% salary increase soon but I think these figures will still work), I plan to put the maximum amount into my AVC (for the next 3 years) straight from my salary (and live off savings) as follows:
    Monthly:
    3209 Gross pay
    2,318 to AVC
    308 to TP
    146 to student loan
    298 to NI
    0 to tax per month from my payslip (see calculation below)
    3070 Total deductions per month from my payslip

3209 Gross pay
    3070 Total deductions per month from my payslip
    139 on payslip to go in my bank

Calculation for tax for the year
    38,500 gross pay
    12,500 free pay
    26,000 taxable pay for the year
    3,697 less pension contributions
    27,817 less AVC contributions
    26,000 – (27,817 + 3,697) = -5,514

Therefore no tax will be paid for the 12 month period.

Have I got the tax relief correct?
    Any other comments please?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 16 July 2019 at 8:45PM
    On what contribution basis is the AVC being paid? Is it via net pay, relief at source, salary sacrifice or lump sum with no automatic tax relief?

And how much tax relief do you expect to get? Struggled to quite follow that in your post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure