Insuring a Rabbit?

Hi All,

I bought a baby rabbit yesterday and I have been considering insuring her, but not sure if there is any point or who to look at. A lot of pet insurers seem only to do cats and dogs. The one I have found for rabbits is quoting nearly £10 a month with a £60 excess. That means she would have to have over £180 worth of treatment in a year before there was any benefit in having the policy.

How much do vet bills cost if your rabbit is ill? Where have you gone for insurance? Am i better off just putting aside £10 a month in case she needs some treatment?
Sorting my life out to give a better life to my
:heartsmil 2 gorgeous boys :heartsmil

Comments

• tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    hi

having worked in the veterinary profession ( nursing) i would heartily recommend insuring your bunny, but you need to bear in mind that all polices are different, and you get what you pay for. i would advise pet plan http://www.petplan.co.uk/ - because the cover for life. they are a bit pricier than some policies though. most excesses are around the £40-60 mark, but bear in mind that vets bills can easily run into the hundreds if your bunny became ill, and that veterinary treatment is becoming more sophisticated, which in turn means prices are rising. bunnies in particular are quite difficult to anaesthetise and so anaesthetic costs can also be surprisingly high.
    the most common problems with rabbits are of dental origin. some polices will exclude dental treatment for rabbits, and some will only pay up if your vet confirms that you have bunnys teeth checked regularly (i think its about every 6 months). i think petplan do cover dental problems, but i havent checked...

good luck, and enjoy your wabbit :D
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    have just done a dummy quote for a bun with petplan - £7.80 per month or £78.00 anually... £50 excess.
    i think thats quite reasonable.
    prices do change though depending on area of country, breed/age of bunny etc..
    i cant see anything about excluding teeth but i would perhaps recommend phoning em and asking...

HTH
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • flis21
    flis21 Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Thanks tank girl. I will try giving them a ring in the morning.
    Sorting my life out to give a better life to my
    :heartsmil 2 gorgeous boys :heartsmil
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Rabbits don't need insurance - They've got 4 lucky feet & so never have accidents.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Aaprt from those all over the road :cry:
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure