jobs without a DBS check?

which jobs generally do not require one?
and for those with previous convicitions did you find employment?

Comments

• Generally any job where you won't be working with vulnerable people (ie children, sick people, the elderly, disabled etc) won't require a DBS check. (Possibly also jobs where you have access to money? Not sure) For example an admin job in an office is unlikely to ask for a DBS check. They do sometimes ask about unspent convictions though. It also depends on what the conviction is for, I had to do a DBS check to work on open days at my uni (as the students who visit are under 18) and they told us they don't care if you have, for instance, a conviction for unpaid council tax, they're only interested in anything that's relevant to the job. But that would depend on the company I guess.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    which jobs generally do not require one?
    and for those with previous convicitions did you find employment?
    That isn't the correct question. The correct question is "I have an unspent conviction - if I fail to declare it when asked, can I be sacked?". The answer is yes, you can be dismissed at any time if you lie in a job application. Legally, if they found out a decade later, you could be sacked for lying. Don't do it. If you do it, don't complain if they find out and sack you. These things have a way of working themselves out of the woodwork.
  • I!!!8217;ve worked in areas like this so know a great deal.

If you want to chat privately than feel free to message me.

There is a correct way to declare and as long as you follow their procedures.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    That isn't the correct question. The correct question is "I have an unspent conviction - if I fail to declare it when asked, can I be sacked?". The answer is yes, you can be dismissed at any time if you lie in a job application. Legally, if they found out a decade later, you could be sacked for lying. Don't do it. If you do it, don't complain if they find out and sack you. These things have a way of working themselves out of the woodwork.

All very true, however the position a lot of people with an unspent conviction will find themselves in is that if they declare it, they wont get the job, therefore they find it worth the risk to not declare it.

And i've never heard too many people complain if they are subsequently sacked, as they know what they've done on the application.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Generally any job where you won't be working with vulnerable people (ie children, sick people, the elderly, disabled etc) won't require a DBS check. (Possibly also jobs where you have access to money? Not sure) For example an admin job in an office is unlikely to ask for a DBS check. They do sometimes ask about unspent convictions though. It also depends on what the conviction is for, I had to do a DBS check to work on open days at my uni (as the students who visit are under 18) and they told us they don't care if you have, for instance, a conviction for unpaid council tax, they're only interested in anything that's relevant to the job. But that would depend on the company I guess.

For my factory job we had to have a Disclosure Scotland check. Don't know what the difference between that and DBS is.

People who were found to have not given the full facts were subsequently sacked, but I do know a few people with convictions that they declared on the applications and interviews that got and kept jobs.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For my factory job we had to have a Disclosure Scotland check. Don't know what the difference between that and DBS is.

People who were found to have not given the full facts were subsequently sacked, but I do know a few people with convictions that they declared on the applications and interviews that got and kept jobs.

That would be the general thinking. My wifes company takes on probably 50+ people a month and if there is a subsequent Disclosure Scotland done, those who have declared (where they are obliged to declare it, ie, within 5 years) are fine.

They have to advise you they are going to do a DBS check though from memory of what she was telling me, so not telling and knowing they were going to do a DBS check would be fairly dumb.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    I!!!8217;ve worked in areas like this so know a great deal.

If you want to chat privately than feel free to message me.

There is a correct way to declare and as long as you follow their procedures.

Perhaps well meaning but this avoids checks and balances of open discussion.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • I wasn!!!8217;t telling him to avoid a check,I just mean generally there are correct ways to disclose to an employer.

If ajob requires a DBS check then you can!!!8217;t get around that,
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OP probably wouldn't be able to PM anyone yet
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ohreally wrote: »
    Perhaps well meaning but this avoids checks and balances of open discussion.
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    I wasn't telling him to avoid a check,I just mean generally there are correct ways to disclose to an employer.

If ajob requires a DBS check then you can't get around that,

That's not what he meant.

By reverting to PM's the you would be able to feed the OP any old nonsense (not saying you would) and there would be no one to query or correct your advice if needed.

That's why it is better to remain in open discussion, as well as getting a full spectrum of opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure