Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help.

Helpmelord
Helpmelord Posts: 23 Forumite
So I have to admit a very unfortunate event happened to me.

Please note I passed my driving test 1 month ago. I was travelling on the M25 at 70 MPH, normal motorway speed) when I saw 2 flashes, (obviously a speed camera), I then noticed there were variable speed limits in place for 50 MPH, I did not see these overhead before, however I did notice one sign on stilts straight after. Of course I instantly had a panic attack. About 10 seconds later after the flash and after I saw the sign , I saw signs overhead for national 70 MPH again. The conditions of the roads were clear, without roadwords or traffic so I new the flash was for me.

No I'm just wondering, this is considered a band B offence for 20 MPH over. However I find it so stupid to make the motorway 50 MPH for no legit reason. My questions are, will they give me any grace for this mistake? I'm wondering will I get 4,5, or 6 points? Or because I have never had another offence because I've only been driving for a month will they just give me a 7-28 day ban?

Help. This sucks.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Driving at 70 on your speedo almost certainly means a few mph under 70. It's within the scope of a 3pt/£100 fixed penalty, but probably too fast for a speed awareness course.

As far as the variable limit goes, cameras do not start to enforce immediately on a limit change. If everything was fully functioning, then you clearly missed seeing the signs. The signage is not 50 "for no reason" - you simply didn't see the reason, perhaps because the reduced limit worked, or perhaps for the same reason you didn't see the signage...
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    4-6 points or 7-28 day ban plus fine. Why would they give you any grace?
  • Helpmelord
    Helpmelord Posts: 23 Forumite
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage, and because I have not had another offence and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable (I have been reading and they sometimes give the ban if you have not been a threat to the road before)

A ban would be ideal, 4 points would be bad but doable, but 6 points means a lost license within 2 years of driving.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Helpmelord wrote: »
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage
    Yes, there was... Bloody great big illuminated signs over the carriageway. They're either NSL or a reduced limit. You admit you saw 50 after you saw the flash.

and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable
    That you saw. Not that there needs to be.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Yes, there was... Bloody great big illuminated signs over the carriageway. They're either NSL or a reduced limit. You admit you saw 50 after you saw the flash.

That you saw. Not that there needs to be.

Or not illuminated at all if there are no speed reductions.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have you actually got a ticket OP?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2018 at 3:23PM
    debtdebt wrote: »

OP will have to see what comes. If it's under 70, then it will be 3 points £100 fine and he will have to drive like Miss Daisy for just under 2 years to ensure he doesn't have his licence revoked and have to start again.

Edited to add, as per CPS website, up to and including 75mph in a 50 limit is fixed penalty.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    debtdebt wrote: »

With respect, this is rubbish.

If it was indeed a 50 limit, any speed up to 75 is going to mean a fixed penalty, 3 points and £100.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage, and because I have not had another offence and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable (I have been reading and they sometimes give the ban if you have not been a threat to the road before)

A ban would be ideal, 4 points would be bad but doable, but 6 points means a lost license within 2 years of driving.

I've no idea where you have been reading but I suggest you stop immediately.

There is no grace, no 'letting off' for good behaviour and frankly if you get a ticket within a month of passing your test it isn't looking good for your future at all.

All you can do is wait to see what happens, assuming the car is registered in your name and the correct address is showing then you should hear within 14 days.

If you want to know anything more then try this site:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

However, be warned they won't tolerate daft statements about having read nonsense, and if you sign up use a proper email address, Hotmail ones tend to get rejected.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable

Even though you couldn't see any reason for the limit to be reduced, this doesn't mean that there wasn't a legitimate reason for it.
    There may well have been congestion or an accident ahead and the speed limit was reduced because of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure