Edinburgh Ghost and Vaults

Hi all

I'm taking my son (who is 12) to Edinburgh for six days at the beginning of August. I've bought a ticket that gives access to the bus tours for 48 hours, Edinburgh Castle, Holyroodhouse and the Britannia Yacht. Other things I plan on doing are:-
Camera Obscure
National Museum of Scotland
Edinburgh Dungeon
A Forth boat trip
A church yard or two (Greyfriars)
A free Harry Potter tour
A free ghost tour
Arthur's Seat
A few free Fringe shows
Photo at Rockstar North.
I'm undecided on Dynamic Earth. Not sure if it'll be old, worn and cheesy, plus it's all becoming costly.

Ok, on to my questions.

Has anyone been on the free tours they do, such as the Potter or ghost one? You tip the guide, rather than pay a fee, and just wondering how they compare to the paid for ones.

Can you go in the Rockstar North building (I expect it's a 'no').

I want to do a vault tour, has anyone recommendations? I was thinking of Mary King's Close and City of the dead double tour, which consists of South Bridge Vaults and Covenanter's Prison. Are the Close and the vaults very similar to each other? I don't want to be wasting money seeing the same type of things really.

Anyone been on the ghost bus tour? Would a 12 year old prefer that to the double dead tour?

I realise these questions are quite specific, but hoping someone has some experience of these. What I want is to experience the best tours etc but not repeat things. I don't mind paying for quality.

Thanks for looking anyway.
There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.

Comments

• emg
    emg Posts: 1,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are Potter fans then I think you would really enjoy the free walking tour. The one I did was really interesting and took us to lots of different spots including Greyfriars. The guide was dressed up and gave us all wands and made it lots of fun with quiz questions and house points. It was much better than the vaults tour that we paid £15 for where the guide was hungover and moaning about having to show us round! Mary King's Close was better, less ghosty and more social history but really interesting.

Camera Obscura is brilliant and there are not many places you can see these. They have turned the rest of the building into a kind of museum of optical illusions and its a lot of fun.
  • I booked the free ghost tour and on the evening many more people turned up than they had planned for. They scratched around to find another tour leader and they had a young girl who was helping them.

She did not know her history and was making it up as she went round. she was garbled and walking much too fast so I bowed out when I reached a point I could find my way back to my hotel.

My favourite place is the National Museum of Scotland, it's free but it depends how much your son is interested in history.

Greyfriars is just across the road from the museum.

Try and be at the Castle at 1pm when the gun goes off.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would skip Edinburgh Dungeon which, if it's like London Dungeon, is the epitome of cheesey. A 12 year old might like it though.

Dynamic Earth is probably good for someone interested in science, and expensive for someone who isn't.

Museum of Edinburgh - free
    Museum of Childhood (reopened this spring) - free
    The People's Story Museum - free
    City Observatory, Calton Hill - now a gallery, free, donations requested, watch the ball drop at 1 pm (triggered by the gun from the Castle)
    St Giles Cathedral - free
    Scottish Parliament - free, booking required

Most of the big art galleries are free too, but I guess don't appeal to most 12-year-olds.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,865
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's the festival when you are up here, maybe see if any of this takes your fancy?

https://tickets.edfringe.com/
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies, it seems it was definitely worth me asking. Sorry my multi quote buttons don't work so have to reply like this:-

ems - The Potter tour sounds fun, and if it visits Greyfriars then it's a bonus. Lol at the moaning guide, how cheeky of him! I'm unsure about Mary King's Close because I read a review that said it is a tourist trap and doesn't really feel authentic. They mentioned that there's better vaults etc to see so that was part of my reason for asking.

Grumplestiltskin - doesn't sound as if that tour guide was worth a tip, so s good idea to bail early lol. I'm looking forward to seeing the National Museum of Scotland, although not read about what exhibits are there. Hope I'm not disappointed!

Owain - I went to the York Dungeon and was disappointed that they'd changed it so much. I suppose they do have to move with the times but I agree with it being cheesy. I'm not sure if I went to the London one. I did go to the London Bridge Experience which was fun and scared me witless! My son is a bit of a wimp with the scary things so perhaps the dungeon will ease him into this stuff gently. Or maybe not!

He does like science and things that are hands on, maybe he would like Dynamic Earth after all.

Moving forwards - I've been looking at all the available tickets and to say I feel overwhelmed is an understatement! There's so much to see and do. At first I though going for six days was too much, now I think it isn't enough, considering I could have done a day trip to the highlands too etc.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934
    Forumite
    The Fringe is quite overwhelming in choice. I'd just choose a couple of things, such as Showstopper, the Improvised Musical (which was hilarious) and maybe something visual (such as a magic or mime performance). There are so many street performances, and quite a few free events too, and you'll be given dozens of flyers when out and about.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • have a look at the National Museum website.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/

The parliament isn't in session so perhaps not worth a visit.

https://www.parliament.scot/visitandlearn/visiting-the-parliament.aspx

When I was there I didn't book to see a debate I just walked in mind you you have to go through airport type security.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Lip_Stick
    Forumite
    pandora205 wrote: »
    The Fringe is quite overwhelming in choice. I'd just choose a couple of things, such as Showstopper, the Improvised Musical (which was hilarious) and maybe something visual (such as a magic or mime performance). There are so many street performances, and quite a few free events too, and you'll be given dozens of flyers when out and about.
    I've booked that Showstopper Musical. Managed to get tickets 2 for 1 on the day of arrival, which is great! Thanks for the info. I'd been looking mainly at kids shows and suitable comedy, and the show didn't come up. Also booked The Dark Room which is a comedy show about gaming that I've got 2 for 1 too. Think that's going to be the lot for paid shows now. Will see what happens when I get there.
    have a look at the National Museum website.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/

The parliament isn't in session so perhaps not worth a visit.

https://www.parliament.scot/visitandlearn/visiting-the-parliament.aspx

When I was there I didn't book to see a debate I just walked in mind you you have to go through airport type security.

I like the look of the museum, although not sure my son will appreciate it as much. Hopefully he won't be rolling his eyes at the prospect of learning something! :rotfl:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2019 at 11:57AM
    The NMS is an excellent place - and great for kids. We have been in there twice in the last year and they were thrilled by it both times and we didn't even see the same parts each visit - first time it was the Natural History and dinosaur galleries and last time it was the Robots exhibition and tech galleries at the other end of the building for the boy. Girl was off into the clothing/fashion galleries with her mother as well. Both are itching to go back.

And if you want them to find something totally gruesome/!!!!!ish, send them-off to find "The Maiden"...!

I suppose the trick is not to try and see too much at one time, so they don't get bored with the place.

Not done a ghost/vault/Harry Potter tour but have encountered them at various points and I've not been that impressed - In a similar vein, the Elephant House cafe isn't a patch on what it used to be. For starters, there isn't nearly as many elephants about the place as there used to be but I suppose they had to fit-in more tables for the continuous stream of customers and the quality of food is nowhere as good as it was back in the early 2000s. You still get one of the best views of the Castle over the Old Town from its bay window though.

Personally I didn't rate the Dungeon - and it was hoofingly expensive but they loved it. I've never managed to get Mary King's tickets when down - always book well in advanced as it is busy, even in the off-season.

They also loved the Britannia at Leith (bus from Princes St) and although still quite expensive, we were in there all afternoon - and it flew by, so good value.

Also I enjoyed Dynamic Earth but that was quite a while ago and I don't know if its been updated?

Boy has also caught-on to there being a Stranger Things themed popup down by Holyrood but I think its a cocktail bar, so I don't know how it will be if you have kids. IME Edinburgh is one of the more backward places in Scotland for children on licensed premises - which is surprising.

I'm saving the Camera Obscura for our next visit - for me! I love optical toys and tricks. I've not been in it since my own childhood.

At Fringe time, they also loved the stretch on the High St - outside St Giles, where many shows do little taster performances to promote their shows, plus street entertainers/acrobats and the like - lots in small bites to keep their interest, rather than sitting-down for a full show, where boredom could set-in. The popups at the foot of the mound/gardens are good for different snack-type meals and sometimes smaller performances/musicians etc rather than a full sit-down meal and go-on well into the evening.
  • Lip_Stick
    Forumite
    Lots of info there pogofish, thank you. The NMS sounds more varied than I thought, the website had me thinking it was like The British Museum in London. I'd like the natural history part and my son would definitely like the tech themes. It sounds a good idea to break it down and have short visits over a couple of days. Bet it will be packed in August though.

Sounds like I best make my mind up if I'm going to do Mary King's Close or not. Best research that a bit more I think.

My son has just started watching Stranger Things, but yes, it seems Edinburgh is very restrictive when it comes to allowing children in pubs. I'm not a pub goer really but would have liked a relaxing evening in one supping a drink and playing pool. Oh well.

Do you get offers for the shows or tourist things when there, like when they hand out leaflets? Just wondering if it is worth waiting to book certain things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure