The Early Retiree Travel Thread

Options
When it comes to early-retirement, one of the biggest motivations for the early retiree is to spend more time travelling and visiting all of the places they haven’t had the chance to see during (or to see properly) during their working lives.

Of course the other major question that early retirees typically ask is “how much do I need to retire?”, which in many cases has a direct correlation to how much variable expense will arise (a significant chunk of which will be travel related). And while “base” spending (food, utilities, housing etc.) is relatively easy to predict; travel comes in all shapes and sizes.

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to try and put some numbers on travel budgets but also to capture the why’s and the what’s.

So here goes…

1. How much is your retirement travel budget, split between:
a. Domestic vacations
b. Long-haul / international vacation
2. Do you anticipate spending more in retirement that before you retired?
3. Will you make significant changes to the way you travel (e.g. perhaps upgrading to premium or business, or maybe spending longer on each vacation?)
4. Where are you going and why?

I’ve long been inspired by this couple (https://wherewebe.com/). and I hope to be able to match at least some of their relentless enthusiasm.
Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!

Comments

• BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    I have taken the message of Greta Thunberg and her generation on board. Therefore during my retirement I will be doing minimal travelling, certainly no long haul flights or cruises. I sincerely hope everyone will start to think about personal lifestyle choices and their carbon footprint. We all share a responsibility for the future of our children and grandchildren.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BLB53 wrote: »
    I have taken the message of Greta Thunberg and her generation on board. Therefore during my retirement I will be doing minimal travelling, certainly no long haul flights or cruises. I sincerely hope everyone will start to think about personal lifestyle choices and their carbon footprint. We all share a responsibility for the future of our children and grandchildren.
    Indeed but if everybody did that then the local economies of a number of areas around the world would struggle.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If flying is not going to be banned then I'll continue to do it until I run out of money or health. If aviation was more or less stopped then a lot of people around the world are going to be out of work, and that could be devastating for countries with a big dependence on tourism.
  • NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I hate these threads, where people ask a number of questions to start a discussion, but don't answer the questions themselves in the OP.
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    When it comes to early-retirement, one of the biggest motivations for the early retiree is to spend more time travelling and visiting all of the places they haven’t had the chance to see during (or to see properly) during their working lives.

Of course the other major question that early retirees typically ask is “how much do I need to retire?”, which in many cases has a direct correlation to how much variable expense will arise (a significant chunk of which will be travel related). And while “base” spending (food, utilities, housing etc.) is relatively easy to predict; travel comes in all shapes and sizes.

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to try and put some numbers on travel budgets but also to capture the why’s and the what’s.

So here goes…

a. Domestic vacations
    3. Will you make significant changes to the way you travel (e.g. perhaps upgrading to premium or business, or maybe spending longer on each vacation?)

I’ve long been inspired by this couple (https://wherewebe.com/). and I hope to be able to match at least some of their relentless enthusiasm.

1a. Probably occasional day trips plus a long weekend in Devon or Cornwall next year
    1b. We have enough funds for a long haul holiday each year for 9 or 10 years after 2020, but may be able to do more depending on whether some ring fenced DC pots outside our financial plan are needed for living expenses in the future
    2. Our budget will be a bit lower on average than when I was working (I finish at the end of the month)
    3. Probably do the same
    4. Next holiday is Corfu in Sept, then Zanzibar and Turkey next year. We do 2 weeks on long haul holidays and 1 week on short haul ones. At some point I'd really like to go to Namibia if i can persuade DW!
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    That couple you linked to have been to some great places. I like this guy's travel channel although it's not related to being retired:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCM6tNJ3yyhIQFCH_OfCWFTQ
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed but if everybody did that then the local economies of a number of areas around the world would struggle.
    Indeed, but if we carry on with business as usual, we destroy the planet for everyone. We need to tread more lightly and show some respect for our common environment. As the youngster say - there is no planet B...
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    Indeed, but if we carry on with business as usual, we destroy the planet for everyone. We need to tread more lightly and show some respect for our common environment. As the youngster say - there is no planet B...

It's true that climate change needs tackling, but there are people in poorer countries especially who would probably rather have a job and take the risk of climate change impacts. And more people in developing countries are flying because they too want to enjoy the benefits of travel.
  • saver_ali
    saver_ali Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My husband only retired a couple of months ago, so we're in the early stages of trying to work out how much we can afford to spend on holidays.
    We're avid collectors of Avios, and use them to fly business class, usually to the US or Caribbean, which helps to keep the costs down, but I'm finding the flying a hassle now, and am fed up with the jet lag. British Airways standards have gone down a lot too.
    Added to that, I'm beginning to feel that the more money a holiday costs, the less we enjoy it! We've had a touring caravan since our kids were young, and we've just come back from a short break in Dorset that was wonderful.
    So for the time being we're going to explore the UK, possibly changing the caravan for a small motorhome/camper van. It has the added benefit that we can take our dog with us, rather than having to pay £30 a day to board him!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options

So here goes…

a. Domestic vacations
    Far more international. Occasional UK short trips but the UK is generally too expensive for a long holiday!
    On travel, about the same but getting better value, eg not restricted to school holidays, longer trips so the flight cost isn't a significant factor, being able to pick up last minute cheapies, and not paying for the kids! Plus a lot of the places we want to go we'd likely end up spending similar or even less while on holiday than we would at home!
    Longer holidays, definitely. Upgrading flight class, very unlikely as it's generally a ridiculous amount extra for a bit of superficial fluff, simply not worth it.

We're happy with fairly basic accomodation, air-con if it's a hot country would be nice but we certainly don't want boring expensive 5* chain hotels, we like to feel we're actually abroad when travelling!
    Asia top of the list, India, SE Asia, Japan, China. US & Canada. Bits of South America. Iceland. Bits of the middle east which are safe'ish to travel to.

Also may do some long driving/train holidays round Europe if it's still practical after all this Brexit nonsense! Or perhaps further - I fancy doing my own version of the Mongol Rally.

I'll be doing a lot of travel with my wife but I'll also be doing a lot of solo travel - I'm one of these weirdos who loves solo travel and there's loads of places I want to go where she doesn't. Might also do travelling with retired friends, if our plans match.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure