Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 218
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 10th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Struggling to find an answer to this...
    I do not have a degree. I am a mature (very ) student. I have applied to a uni to do a 3 year degree, I hoped to do an integrated masters in year 4. I have received an 'unconditional' offer. However, the offer I have been given includes a foundation year (didn't really want that but that's what they offered). This means 5 years not 4 if I want a masters.

I will be 58 y.o. a few days before the start of the course.
    I understand that I have to be under the age of 60 on the 1st day of the first year of the course to be eligible for the maintenance loan which means the 4 years would be covered but - would the masters be classed as a 'new' degree ?

The young (very ) lady at SFE couldn't give me an answer
    Last edited by TheGardener; 10-06-2019 at 9:43 PM.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Jun 19, 7:25 AM
    • 39,116 Posts
    • 162,840 Thanks
    silvercar
    My understanding is that integrated masters are one 4 year degree, I'm not sure that you even get awarded the bachelor degree after 3 years.

I'd be more wary of whether the foundation year is a separate course that leads on to the main degree course.

Be very careful on dates, I did read that student finance take the 1 September as the age point, rather than the first day of the course.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 11th Jun 19, 12:09 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Spoke to SFE again this morning and it seems the foundation + 4 year integrated masters is the way to go and the funding would continue as it would be classed as a continuous programme. Even if the foundation were sperate - I'd still fall into the 'under 60' group at the point the 4 yr BA/Masters started.
    Took a bit of head scratching at SFE but they concurred that I should take that option rather than 1yr foundation +3yr BA +1 Masters as Masters in this scenario would be a 'new' course and I would be too old to get the post grad funding.

If SFE take 1st of Sept then that is actually better for me as I'd only be 57 then!
    • Gerkintrigg
    • By Gerkintrigg 15th Jun 19, 2:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gerkintrigg
    Did you know that when you pay your employer your student loans money, they give it to the HMRC, who only give it to the student loans company at the end of the year!? Until then, you’re paying interest on the interest you’re accruing on the FULL balance. What a con!
    • foofi22
    • By foofi22 18th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    foofi22
    Hi
    I'm currently repaying my Plan 1 loan through PAYE. Last year I changed employer and my new employer continued my loan deductions.

However I've just got my loan statement for April 18 to April 19 and the only "payment" to it is from my new employer. The payments from my previous employer are not included.

Should I contact SLC to inform them of the missing payments? Or does this sort of thing sort itself out?

If it helps I've had my P60 from my new employer but not my previous (I'm not sure if they will issue me with one)

Thanks
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 18th Jun 19, 9:28 PM
    • 39,868 Posts
    • 37,112 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Hi
    I'm currently repaying my Plan 1 loan through PAYE. Last year I changed employer and my new employer continued my loan deductions.

However I've just got my loan statement for April 18 to April 19 and the only "payment" to it is from my new employer. The payments from my previous employer are not included.

Should I contact SLC to inform them of the missing payments? Or does this sort of thing sort itself out?

If it helps I've had my P60 from my new employer but not my previous (I'm not sure if they will issue me with one)

Thanks
    Originally posted by foofi22
    Yes, contact SLC with your P45 from the old job and your latest P60. You might also need to send copies of payslips from your previous job.

Same happened to DS2, an entire year's worth of payments not recorded when he changed jobs.

It was soon sorted when he phoned them, but he did have to send his payslips.

Also NB you only get a P60 from an employer for whom you are currently working at the end of the tax year, so you're probably not going to get one from the previous employer: that's where your P45 comes in handy.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin