Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poorly scammo
    • By poorly scammo 19th May 19, 8:12 AM
    • 32,062Posts
    • 66,699Thanks
    poorly scammo
    Buyer Claiming Fraudulent Signature
    • 19th May 19, 8:12 AM
    Buyer Claiming Fraudulent Signature 19th May 19 at 8:12 AM
    Hi,

Just received message from buyer to say that he hasn't received his item and that someone has signed for it as him. He is wanting me to chase this up with Royal Mail.

Am I right in thinking that I can do nothing more because as far as I'm concerned, the item has been delivered and signed for. Do I need to tell him that he needs to chase this up with RM and open an 'item not received' with eBay? Obviously I have proof of signature as I've screenshotted it.

FWIW, I think he's genuine in this case but I don't see what I can do.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by poorly scammo; 19-05-2019 at 8:15 AM.
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th May 19, 8:52 AM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th May 19, 8:52 AM
    • 19th May 19, 8:52 AM
    Hi,

Just received message from buyer to say that he hasn't received his item and that someone has signed for it as him. He is wanting me to chase this up with Royal Mail.

Am I right in thinking that I can do nothing more because as far as I'm concerned, the item has been delivered and signed for. Do I need to tell him that he needs to chase this up with RM and open an 'item not received' with eBay? Obviously I have proof of signature as I've screenshotted it.

FWIW, I think he's genuine in this case but I don't see what I can do.

Thanks all.
    Originally posted by poorly scammo
    Assuming this is not mega expensive then a signature is not even required, just ask them to ask other people in the house if they have signed for something and perhaps just contact RM to see if they have any additional information that can assist.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 19th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 8,941 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    RFW
    • 19th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:12 PM
    Assuming this is not mega expensive then a signature is not even required, just ask them to ask other people in the house if they have signed for something and perhaps just contact RM to see if they have any additional information that can assist.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I agree with the above.

I'd add that if you can see a signature, see if you can make out a name. On one occasion with a similar problem the name was clear and I managed to Google it with the street name and find it with someone in the same street (It was something like sent to number 2 and signed at number 22).

It's worth contacting Royal Mail for any help. If the buyer is suggesting a fraud has taken place then, as it's fraud on them, they would need to contact the police.
    • poorly scammo
    • By poorly scammo 19th May 19, 7:40 PM
    • 32,062 Posts
    • 66,699 Thanks
    poorly scammo
    • 19th May 19, 7:40 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:40 PM
    Thanks, both.

Well I contacted RM and they've started a formal investigation so we'll have to see what the outcome is. I'll have to wait at least ten business days before I know anything. I honestly don't think they'll find anything 'interesting'. Perhaps I'll get some compo that I can pass on to the buyer.

We'll see. I'll update in case it's useful to anyone else reading.
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 20th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 12,272 Posts
    • 27,002 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 20th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 20th May 19, 9:33 PM
    I had a parcel delivered today while we ere out.

It was left on the doorstep but the tracking shows it as being signed for by me.

The chances of it being stolen are low but if it had of been where would that leave me?

I can understand them not wanting to have to come back again but not happy that they lied it had been signed for by me.
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 21st May 19, 8:09 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    TripleH
    • 21st May 19, 8:09 AM
    • 21st May 19, 8:09 AM
    Have you let the buyer know the situation? It shows you are taking action (even if it is possibly outside your control). I found that keeping another party aware of delays is far less stressful for all than silence.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin