Options
    Count me in too.

Let's do this!!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning guys
    Time to get ready for March. February went by far too quickly.

So W is for Waste Management. I aim to squeeze the last bit of life out of everything this month. So leftovers will be integrated into the next day’s meal plan or frozen if really not viable. I’ve also got the drying rack out, we live in a really small flat with no outside drying space so I have to use the drier in winter because clothes get musty by the time they are dry, but this spell of nicer weather has meant I can open the windows to get a lot of the moisture out then just a two minute finish off in the drier. I aim to use less electric too this month, lights off as much as possible, not using the oven much and wrapping up in a blanket if it gets chilly rather than putting the heating on. Not much saving but it all adds up.

Invest in yourself
    My GP once told me the best thing you can do is be kind to yourself. Rest when you need to, look after yourself. I’m feeling so much better now I have lost weight, not there yet but the healthy diet makes me feel much better. So full steam ahead with the SW

Needs not wants
    This month is going to be tight anyway so unless absolutely necessary even the needs will have to

I aim for 15 NSDs and have the expense of 5 birthdays and a hen weekend. The hotel and minibus is already paid for, but I still have the expense of getting there and meal, booze etc to spend yet. Also it’s our 36 th anniversary this month so I think we’ve earned a meal out.

Most months I’ve very little on but everything has come at once. But that’s what being frugal is for, so I can afford to do things when I need to. So for me this month is more damage limitation than progress.

Have a super month guys
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great challenge applemuncher I am. Need to tighten my belt dietwise and moneywise. Dentist today £200 eek I have to pay for all this pain. Food supplies are low but going to conjure up some weird and wacky receipes I won't starve.
    Budget setting next x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • Dottydaisy
    Options
    Please count me in for March. I am useless at posting but will try harder. Will be back with my challenges DD
    NSD 1/3,
    My mantra is After I ....I will. eg After I make my morning coffee, I will take my medication. Eventually this will become a habit,
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Count me in please :) I will try much harder!
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Waste management:
    - Food waste – eat leftovers, don’t bin food (unless it could be used for a science experiment), buy only what you need – plan your meals before going shopping.
    - Plastics – reduce what comes in to your house and recycle as much as you can.
    - Utilities –cut back on how much gas, leccy and water you use.
    - Money – just don’t fritter it away. Be wise. Would stockpiling work for you and mean better food management?
    Will do my best at the above.
    Invest in yourself
    - Do something every single day that makes you happy.
    - Do something else every single day that takes you a little bit nearer to your long-term goals (and now is a good time to set some, if you don’t have any…)
    - Learn a new skill or re-start an old one. – Must re-start my cross stitch as I keep putting this off.
    - Can you grow any food this year?
    Will try my best at most of them.
    Needs not wants
    - We all know Martin’s mantra. Be consistent in applying it. Learn to distinguish between what you truly need and what you want to have now and simply cannot ever live without…
    - Appreciate what you have and enjoy it.
    Will try my best at the above.

Simplicity
    - Put routines in place that keep your life running smoothly and make things automatic. – Will do.
    - Simplify your stuff. Just get rid of the unnecessary stuff. Donate it to a charity shop. Freecycle it. Give it to friends and neighbours. – I will make sure that I will not be bringing things into the flat that will not be used/needed. Have already decluttered quite a lot of things already over the years.
    - Make space for yourself. – Will do.
    - Cut out the extra noise in your life. This might be computer games, the Interweb, tv, radio, certain people. Allow yourself peace and quiet to simply be. – Must cut out computer games not good for my mh.
    - Be frugal in your needs. – Will try my best.

15 NSDs – Will aim for 20 NSDs this month.

DFD/MFD How much do you owe in debt or on your mortgage. When do you plan to have it paid off? Can you bring that date forward? You must pay to this debt (or into savings) first and then live off the rest. – No debt or mortgage. DD for money into savings account already set up.
    Have a budget. If it’s not in the budget, don’t buy it. Note down every single spend for the month and at the end, track it for each category. – The budget for each category has been set. Going to be an expensive month as it includes the retreat I am going on and sorting out holiday money for April(have to do it this month as fly out beginning of April).

NO spending in coffee shops, work canteens, vending machines, corner shops unless it is cheaper than you could make yourself, or is part of a planned outing (and therefore has its own budget). – Will do.

Take your lunch to work every day that you are there. Take pack ups and drinks when you go out. Plan ahead so that you are not caught short. – Will do if go to work or any other outings.

Have done a list for tomorrow as what food shopping I need to do and other things that needs to be done - general spends. Very busy day but productive.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2019 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Waste

Food - doing a freezer and YS challenge this month. We do waste a bit of fresh stuff so will focus on cutting this out in March and come in at £300
    Plastics - reduce, reuse and recycle, will aim to be more mindful about plastic usage
    Money - tight this month after repaying DPIL debt and ETC. We must stay within budget and have more than usual social events this month including a night out with DH and friends, a family Rugby day out, Mothers day and DMIL birthday
    Utilities - our fuel bill is massive even with switching last month. We need to cut back but DH refuses to sit in a cool house with no jumper or socks on :mad: and it's a big old, draughty house to heat. And we use the TD too much. I also often have a hot lunch at home which means putting the oven on. Will focus on cutting our usage in March.

Invest in Yourself

Happy - will have to think on this one
    Steps Forward - lose 5lb, run 5K, don't use CC and stick to budget, save £100 from somewhere
    New Skill - do at least 20 days of 30 Days of Yoga, possibly try new yoga studio in village

Needs not Wants

Gratitudes - will keep this going
    Planned Expenditure - if it isn't in the budget this month it isn't happening

Simplicity

Routines - I want to get into a housework routine and I also want to save automatically as if it goes out like a bill I stick to it
    Simplify your Stuff - stuff to go to charity shop, cardboard to tip, some items to sell (CD/DVD/books/clothes)
    Make Space - this month's frogs are sort out paperwork and create a filing system, sort out the stuff that is still in the front bedroom from decorating late last year, organise dresser
    Cut out noise - less social media and watching trash TV when staying away with work

NSDs - 12
    DFD - Feb 2022, aiming for Dec 2021
    Budget - done in YNAB
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    March is about WINS. (this made me think about the Gold Cup! :D)

Waste management:
    - Food waste – eat leftovers, don’t bin food - we have very little food waste and I'm very good at either eating leftovers for lunch or tumbling them into another meal. With OH working away it will be even easier, as he's the fussy one and I'll happily eat odd combinations in order to make sure things aren't wasted :)
    - Plastics – reduce what comes in to your house and recycle as much as you can. - Ardent recyclers. We reuse single-use plastics a lot of the time too (IKEA freezer bags are super strong and last ages) Will look at smkt veggies
    - Utilities –cut back on how much gas, leccy and water you use. - Whoop! The warmer weather means this will be naturally happening :j(and our fuel DD has juts been reduced anyway, as we don't use what the energy co think we *should* be using) - I only use the TD to fluff towels for 20 mins and not to dry things. I have today adjusted the timer on the heating and also the temp downwards - still chilly when I get up at 6am, so I'm not turning it off yet!
    - Money – just don’t fritter it away. Be wise. Would stockpiling work for you and mean better food management? - we don't usually stockpile (have worked very hard over past few years on my *need* to stockpile (poor childhood - often ran out of things before the next pay day and there was never a choice of what to eat) but I do now have a Brex1t stockpile - teabags and tinned items :D I try very hard not to fritter (most of the time) - unlike my OH, who doesn't like to feel deprived.... (rolling eyes smiley....) We have a decent level of savings which goes out on 1st and 2nd of the month

Invest in yourself
    - Do something every single day that makes you happy. - MH is so important :)
    - Do something else every single day that takes you a little bit nearer to your long-term goals (and now is a good time to set some, if you don’t have any…) - mine will based around food/ moving/ getting rid of stuff/ keeping on top of housework on weekdays to leave weekends free as much as poss
    - Learn a new skill or re-start an old one. - hmmm.... the job interview I had earlier has definitely highlighted some gaps I could self train on
    - Can you grow any food this year? - need to get some tomato seeds!

Needs not wants
    - We all know Martin’s mantra. . Learn to distinguish between what you truly need and what you want to have now - yep
    - Appreciate what you have and enjoy it. - yep

Simplicity
    - Put routines in place that keep your life running smoothly and make things automatic. - see above re moving/ cleaning/ housework :)
    - Simplify your stuff. Just get rid of the unnecessary stuff. - see above again about getting rid of stuff
    - Make space for yourself.
    - Cut out the extra noise in your life. This might be computer games, the Interweb, tv, radio, certain people. Allow yourself peace and quiet to simply be. - hmmm... a certain game on my PC has crept in again, although I don't wish to get rid of it entirely. However, I must make an effort to read more
    - Be frugal in your needs.

Non-negotiables:

We start at the start of March, and finish at the end - just so you know!:D:D

[FONT=&quot]15 NSDs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Any spend on any item will class as a spend day. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    DFD/MFD How much do you owe in debt or on your mortgage. When do you plan to have it paid off? Can you bring that date forward? You must pay to this debt (or into savings) first and then live off the rest. - we OP the BTL mtge by paying all of the rent payment to it (it's IO) We save £450/ mth on day 1 to ISAa and EF/ gen savings. Further savings are added from cashback, flebay/ fb00k sales, occasional vouchers, etc - bonus money - to hol fund

Have a budget. If it’s not in the budget, don’t buy it. Note down every single spend for the month and at the end, track it for each category. I always start with such good intentions....:o:p

NO spending in coffee shops, work canteens, vending machines, corner shops unless it is cheaper than you could make yourself, or is part of a planned outing (and therefore has its own budget) - we have 2 planned nights out with friends - one for my bday weekend and 1 at month end with old school friends. One lunch out for my bday. I do have a £10 st*rbucks giftcard to use if I get desperate and also 02 app usually gets me a free hot drink midweek if I'm in town

Take your lunch to work every day that you are there. Take pack ups and drinks when you go out. Plan ahead so that you are not caught short. Will do

For me, March is a month of planning!! :)

Thanks, apple
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Turtle No 4 - Goals for this month.

Waste management
    Food
    We really don't have much food waste and what there is goes into the food recycling bin. However buying too much when it's cheap and poor portion control have resulted in leftovers being put in the freezer and left there for ages. So, at the moment I'm trying to make just what we need and if there is anything left to use it next day and not add it to the freezer. Also using up what is there although it's getting to the stage where I'm having to be quite inventive with recipes.

Plastics etc
    Trying to recycle as much as possible.

Utillities
    Must get Himself to stop switching on all the lights. Otherwise I think everything is as low as I get it but you never know.

Money
    Not stockpiling food but will buy cleaning products etc when on offer.

Invest in yourself
    I am very lucky in that I am quite a contented person and it doesn't take a lot to make me happy. A good book, a walk with Himself, my Boy, having a chat with my cousin, etc

I would love to grow veg but I don't have a garden only a little porch. I'm trying to grow herbs just now but I'd like to maybe try something like peas or tomatoes on the kitchen window sill.

Needs not wants
    I really will try with this one.

Simplicity
    Trying to declutter. Really, really hate housework so establishing a routine would make my life so much easier. Will try (promise!!!)

Budgets done. Bills paid (or at least funds set aside for them). Raring to go. Good luck , everyone.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure