PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

does anyone use an apron when cleaning and cooking

Comments

• tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    thanks she grinch that looks a great idea ,
    i will have a look and see if i have an old dress in my wardrobe
  • When doing housework,gardening etc i always wear either a nylon overall or a poly/cotton tabard.
    I have worn them since my school days when i used to help my mother around the house.
    I am now 50 and still have the habit,even though i am a male.
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    I've started using a full length black apron for cooking. I got it free from M+S. It really does save my clothes and it's especially useful for baking and doing messy crafts like papier mache and painting - mind you, I'm quite messy anyway.:D For cleaning I just wear old clothes or ones that are about to go into the wash anyway. I really should wear an apron or 'pinny' though, am always nervous that I'll spill bleach. Mrs Overall better watch out, I might just give her a run for her money in the fashion stakes!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I should have worn my Ikea apron that's like a long skirt today. I was sanding down a dresser and got covered in dust. Had to hoover myself down!
  • andy1968
    andy1968 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I seem to spend of my time wearing an apron, I work as an hairdresser so I wear a PVC apron for work especially when perming or colouring and then when I get home I wear a pinny for do the cooking and cleaning.
  • jollymummy
    jollymummy Posts: 944 Forumite
    I've got a couple, one with cupcakes and the other a rose Cath Kidston style one, both cotton. I got so sick of getting grease and bleach on my clothes, I thought oh blow it I'll dress like a domestic goddess, even if I'm not one!!!
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • i think it is very useful to ware a aprons, and disposable pe aprons is much better
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Disposable aprons aren't exactly enironmentally friendly though, and, in the long run, will cost more.

I'll stick with my vintage (washable) pinnies. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Yes I wear an apron and have done when doing my housework or cooking for most of my adult life.But as I am one of the ...err older ladies here then I think its probably a generation thing My late mum always wore hers from when she got up until lunchtime after lunch off came the apron and she would sit downn and listen to 'Womans Hour' on the wireless whilst knitting.She always changed her frock after lunch as well.She married my Dad in 1935 and never went out to work after her marriage as not many women were allowed to work after marriage in those days .She had been a buyer for a large store in Glasgow before her marriage so she had a fairly decent job by the standards of the day at that time. Even after her family were fairly grown up she never contemplated working outside the home.My Dad would have been horrified at the thought I think.
    I was a working Mum for many years, not through choice but nessesity.But I still wore my 'pinnie' at home and still do today even though I live now on my own.Its just a habit that I have been used to.My grandchildren say that my apron 'smells' of me .I'm not sure if thats a compliment or not but I know what they mean as I can still remember the smell of my Mum whenever I smell 4711 lavender it reminds me of her even after nearly 50 years after her death
  • andy1968
    andy1968 Posts: 18 Forumite
    wfjinwei wrote: »
    i think it is very useful to ware a aprons, and disposable pe aprons is much better

Yes, the disposable apron are very useful, I have started using them at work now I pop one on over my normal pvc apron when I am colouring or perming and my boss insists that we wear a disposable apron for doing ear piercing for hygene purposes.
    Never worn a pe apron at home though, I prefer to wear one of my pvc pinnies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure