Can I re-claim bank charges from Barclays under hardship rules from 2013-2015

Hi I hope that you may be able to help.

I have recently had a sort out and come across some old bank statements. I had a look through and was shocked to discover the amount of bank charges I had paid.

From 2013 - 2015/2016 I was having a hell of a difficult time. I was a single parent on a very low income with a newborn baby who had serious illness and I was back and forth the hospital. I was also being evicted from my home and severe depression set-in badly.
I was attempting to prioritize my child's needs and I wasn't coping at all, financially or otherwise. I had very little useful support.

Fast forward to now and thankfully things have improved considerably.

Having gone over the statements, I was shocked to discover that I paid a total of £976 in charges. This was from 2013 onwards (to approximately 2015)

These were mainly unpaid direct debit payments (for household bills etc,)
The account did not have an overdraft at all and did not go into any unauthorized overdraft.
The account is with Barclays and remains open with just a few £ in now. I have switched accounts to another bank.

I wondered if I could re-,claim these charges and if so how do I go about it? I was specifically wondering if I could claim under 'hardship' rules? I am not facing hardship now, but I certainly was then. The bank should have been aware of this with direct debits and other payments for essential services being rejected continually.

I was also wondering how I go about adding on interest and,/or compensation in my initial re-claim letter??
I would be grateful for your help and advice. Thank you.

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I excect you have read this but if not it might be useful

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/
  • That information is very helpful. However it doesn't specify how to claim under hardship rules, if there is a time limit and if I can add interest on and at what rate etc?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They would only look at your case if you were in current hardship.

Even if you were, you don't get to add on interest, or to tell them what they should refund. ]

They would tell you what help they could offer - which may be a refund of some charges, a suspension of interest and so on.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    That information is very helpful. However it doesn't specify how to claim under hardship rules, if there is a time limit and if I can add interest on and at what rate etc?
    What did you think of the sections entitled:
    • Step-by-step reclaiming guide
    • How far back can I reclaim?
    • Can I charge interest on my bank charges?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    zx81 is right. If you are in current hardship the rules are that your bank should offer help with the hardship itself, which can but does not have to include refunding charges. If you were in historic hardship there is no right to anything at all as the charges are lawful.

The worst that can happen if you complain is you are knocked back, but honestly there's really little to no chance of them refunding charges from four to six years ago.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When Halifax shafted me with their hike on overdraft charges, I asked them if they could review my account, explained how historically I was in hardship due to their charges etc, I didn't even want the money - I was happy for them to take it off my overdraft at the time to help reduce it - they refused to do anything apart from put me on a payment plan which would effect my credit rating etc.

I personally wouldn't expect anything from any bank anymore, however there is no harm in trying
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The banks won the supreme court case in 2009 on charges and since then have not entertained complaints about historic hardship or old charges. They will simply refer to that case, particularly if you start talking about charges being unfair
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Think you can just pop into your local branch and they'll do it for you there and then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure