Share save and CGT

Options
Hi everyone,
3 years ago I signed up for a shave save scheme with my company and they have recently (September 18) vested. I decided to transfer £20k into a stocks and shares ISA and the rest into an investment account. Last week I decided to sell all of my shares held in both accounts and I am wondering if I need to pay CGT on the sale of shares from the ISA? For context the original investment amount was £18k and I sold £20k from the ISA and a further £15k from the investment account.
Thank you in advance for any help in this.

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look here: https://www.gov.uk/tax-employee-share-schemes/transferring-your-shares-to-an-isa
    You won’t have to pay Capital Gains Tax on any gains you make on your shares if you move them to an ISA.
    Reed
  • Anything_123
    Options
    Hi Reed_Richards,
    Many thanks for the quick reply. Could I just clarify that My understand is correct. I do not need to pay CGT on ANY of the amount that was transferred from the original CSOP to the ISA or when I sold it out of the ISA. So that whole £20k is tax free?
    Many thanks
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    I know it seems too good to be true but my interpretation of what it says on the government website is that there is no CGT liability at the point of transfer and there is never a CGT liability on shares sold within an ISA.
    Reed
  • Anything_123
    Options
    Thank you. I think that was my concern, it does seem too good to be true so I wanted to check. So I will only pay CGT on the ones that went into the investment account and the CSOPs
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    You will only incur a CGT liability on those shares. Whether you actually have to pay CGT depends on whether your gains on those shares exceed the annual exempt amount of £11,700. If I interpret your original post correctly then your gain may be less that £11,700 in which case there is no CGT to pay (unless you made other CGT-liable disposals of assets).
    Reed
  • Anything_123
    Options
    Thank you again. The £18k I originally invested, would that be fully offset against the £15k I sold from the investment account or would I have to split it by the correct amount that went into the ISA and investment account? The reason I ask is because I also sold some CSOPs and if I can apply the CGT allowance to the investment account and CSOPs I won’t have to pay CGT but if I need to split the original investment into the ISA aswell I will be subject to tax. I hope that makes sense
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    I do not know for certain but I imagine you have to split.
    Reed
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 19 March 2019 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Thank you again. The £18k I originally invested, would that be fully offset against the £15k I sold from the investment account or would I have to split it by the correct amount that went into the ISA and investment account?

You can't just say that you somehow invested all your £18k of cash into the shares that ended up in the investment account worth £15k, and magically acquired the ISA'd shares for free.

You are right in suspecting that you have to split that £18k by the 'correct amount' for your circumstances, rather than make up a fantasy that gets you a better result :)

What happened was, you spent £18k buying X number of shares in total, and you had transferred a/Xths of those shares into the ISA while putting b/Xths of them into the investment account. So the base cost of all the shares you put into the investment amount when acquired from your sharesave is b/X multiplied by £18000.
    The reason I ask is because I also sold some CSOPs and if I can apply the CGT allowance to the investment account and CSOPs I won’t have to pay CGT but if I need to split the original investment into the ISA aswell I will be subject to tax. I hope that makes sense
    Are the shares acquired under the CSOP the same type of shares in the same company as you had acquired through the sharesave? If so, you will have to treat them as part of one big pool with the shares in your investment account which you acquired through the sharesave.

For example:
    Through your sharesave you spend £18000 buying 9000 shares at £2 each. You put 5500 of these shares into the ISA (which you can now ignore any tax on forever) and leave 3500 shares into the normal unwrapped investment account.

So the shares in the unwrapped investment account had a cost of £7000 ; being 3500 shares at £2 each, or 3500/9000ths of the £18000 cost.

Then through a different plan you exercise an option to buy 14000 more shares in the company for a pound each (£14000). But now you have them, they're all the same type of share as the ones you bought through the sharesave (e.g. ABC Company plc 0.1p ordinary shares). So you have a total pool of unwrapped shares containing (3500+14000) = 17500 shares and that pool of shares cost (£7000 + £14000) = £21000. It's clear from this that the unwrapped shares you hold have a base cost of £21000 /17500 = £1.20 each, because the cost of all the shares you hold just gets averaged.

Even if you think of them in your head as two groups of shares: if they're functionally identical shares held at the same time, HMRC will see them as one big pool which cost you -on average- £1.20 each.

So if you then sell all 3500 of the ones in your investment account which you first told us about, and a few thousand of the ones you bought in the other plan, each of those shares sold has a cost of £1.20.

The way to avoid such "cross contamination" of the costs of all the shares being averaged together in one big pool, is to not hold any of them at overlapping times. So if you disposed of all the CSOP ones before you even bought the sharesave ones, and don't have any CSOP-acquired shares left and nothing overlapped, they're an irrelevance. And obviously if the CSOP shares are a different company to the sharesave, the info above is irrelevant :)
  • Anything_123
    Options
    Wow that is brilliant. I realise I was being a bit optimistic but I thought I would ask because I wasn’t 100% sure. The CSOPs were in the same company and same type of share which makes things a bit easier. I have now sold all of my shares and thanks to all the help above I feel confident I have worked out the exact amount of CGT I need to pay. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure