Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Take care of you.
    REmember we only want the best for you & your DGD.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mrmechanic
    mrmechanic Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have suggested it before and still repeat what I said.
    Do not pay anyone else a wage before you are earning a decent wage yourself.You have not reached a stage in your business where you should be employing anyone until you get a decent wage yourself.

Do not spend any money on stock that you do not need immediately.
    Any spend on stock that isn't getting used on work you have in that week could be your wage that week.

There is no point being a busy fool, you need to make money or you are wasting your time. Charge what is needed for each job, do not undersell yourself.It doesn't matter if you loose some work with putting your prices up, you will be hopefully making the same money for less work with your increased pricing.

You need to priorritise your work depending on the financial gain to you. This will mean making time and doing the best paying jobs first and once these are done move onto the other stuff.If teaching is taking up to much of your time and you would make more money doing repairs, then the teaching will need to be at the end of the line once everything else is done.There is no point doing work that isn't giving you a good return for your time when good paying stuff is sitting till later.

You are tied into your 18 month lease now and the financial penalties of exiting early will be very costly unless you have a mutual termination clause included which is highly unlikely for a commercial lease.

Start giving out a business card/bill heading etc with every job from now with a mobile number on it where your customers can reach you after you give up the shop. This will hopefully let your customers still contact you with any work when you are working from home. I wouldn't even consider thinking about a cabin etc for home when you give up the shop.
    Set it up in a spare room where you will already have a warm dry place with everything you need. A building outside will need heating etc, any time you needed the toilet or wanted to make a cup of tea/take in a parcel delivery etc you would need to go back in doors.Easier managed from your house than people banging on your house door when you cannot hear them as you are in the back garden.

I wish you well, hopefully you will make the right decisions that will work for you alone and forget about employing anyone else. Do it yourself and start pricing jobs in order for you to make a living on your own.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
  • Mooloo just for future reference but I bought a summer house from EBay. Brand new and fully insulated. Pretty much half the price of anything else I found on google. Even paying someone to build it I’ve still saved £££s.
    Rather than getting it connect to the mains I’ve also had solar panels installed. Cost £150 for those. It’s by no means huge but it suits for my little business on the side. In total I’ve spent approx £1200.
    Might be worth looking into if you do decide to go down the work from home route.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Mooloo just for future reference but I bought a summer house from EBay. Brand new and fully insulated. Pretty much half the price of anything else I found on google. Even paying someone to build it I’ve still saved £££s.
    Rather than getting it connect to the mains I’ve also had solar panels installed. Cost £150 for those. It’s by no means huge but it suits for my little business on the side. In total I’ve spent approx £1200.
    Might be worth looking into if you do decide to go down the work from home route.

I like that idea!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    mrmechanic wrote: »
    I have suggested it before and still repeat what I said.
    Do not pay anyone else a wage before you are earning a decent wage yourself.You have not reached a stage in your business where you should be employing anyone until you get a decent wage yourself.

Do not spend any money on stock that you do not need immediately.
    Any spend on stock that isn't getting used on work you have in that week could be your wage that week.

There is no point being a busy fool, you need to make money or you are wasting your time. Charge what is needed for each job, do not undersell yourself.It doesn't matter if you loose some work with putting your prices up, you will be hopefully making the same money for less work with your increased pricing.

You need to priorritise your work depending on the financial gain to you. This will mean making time and doing the best paying jobs first and once these are done move onto the other stuff.If teaching is taking up to much of your time and you would make more money doing repairs, then the teaching will need to be at the end of the line once everything else is done.There is no point doing work that isn't giving you a good return for your time when good paying stuff is sitting till later.

You are tied into your 18 month lease now and the financial penalties of exiting early will be very costly unless you have a mutual termination clause included which is highly unlikely for a commercial lease.

Start giving out a business card/bill heading etc with every job from now with a mobile number on it where your customers can reach you after you give up the shop. This will hopefully let your customers still contact you with any work when you are working from home. I wouldn't even consider thinking about a cabin etc for home when you give up the shop.
    Set it up in a spare room where you will already have a warm dry place with everything you need. A building outside will need heating etc, any time you needed the toilet or wanted to make a cup of tea/take in a parcel delivery etc you would need to go back in doors.Easier managed from your house than people banging on your house door when you cannot hear them as you are in the back garden.

I wish you well, hopefully you will make the right decisions that will work for you alone and forget about employing anyone else. Do it yourself and start pricing jobs in order for you to make a living on your own.

My spare room is small, very small as is my house. That's one of the reasons I stopped working from home and moved to the shop.
    I don't want people in my home. It might have been different if I had had a dining room but I don't.

I understand what you are saying, which is quite a lot of what I just said I was going to do.
    I will keep the lady I have on, as our skills complement each other. I cannot do it on my own, even if I wanted too. There is approximately £33,000 worth of jobs to do. I would have to work 20/24 hours a day.
    I did that in the 90's. Got burn out and had a nervous breakdown. Never again.

The amount of money I will save from the rent will cover an outside space in just 3-6 months depending on the cost of the original building. If someone has an appointment with me they will be able to ring the bell at the side of the house and use the side gate. I can always put a sign on the door.
    As I use up the stock, ( sell or use), I have already said that I would only buy consumables in future.
    I have also said that I will be reviewing the prices at the weekend. So between us all I think I now have a plan and don't feel as if I am floundering around in the dark anymore.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't allow yourself to become down-hearted Mooloo - just don't forget how far you have travelled in the past nine years! You may not have a good income at the moment, but you are making some. It isn't all that you want - or need - but keep your eyes on your goal - you are becoming independant of state benefits which in itself is a good achievement. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that you are still supporting your children, your financial situation would be far more favourable.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Mooloo, I admire your positivity and flexibility. You will get there
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Savvy_sewing
    Mooloo, I admire your positivity and flexibility. You will get there

Thankyou.
    I started out believing that if I stopped I was going to be a failure, but Biggest said to me yesterday, that it's not failing to stop and assess things, and to rethink the next steps. I would be more a failure if I didn't act.
    I still have a dream to have a place in Portugal but I may have to settle for renting for the holidays instead. But who knows what will happen in my retirement. I still have 10 years until state pension age.
    I received a letter from the housing telling me that their policy is now to have the rent in advance and not in arrears as it has been for 8 years. To do this they are going to take an extra £10 a month. Then I looked at the direct debit they plan and it is actually an extra £19.89 a month.
    I am already paying them £34 a month more than my rent to catch up with the housing benefits mess up last year. I really could have done without that extra increase this time. Especially as I am still struggling to pay the full amount after stopping the benefits.
    The whole reason why I am in overdraft these days is trying to meet the full rent and council tax while paying myself half of that that I get when we are busy in the summer.
    But I will have to find a way I suppose.
    Strange because last week I had a letter telling me the rent is going down by 85p a week.
    Such is life!

So today is the start of the count down to relocating the business and the start to restructuring the Shop dynamics
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2018 at 8:40AM
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I think I now have a plan and don't feel as if I am floundering around in the dark anymore.

:T
    I think this is key
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I started out believing that if I stopped I was going to be a failure, but Biggest said to me yesterday, that it's not failing to stop and assess things, and to rethink the next steps. I would be more a failure if I didn't act.
    Biggest has a wise head on her shoulders... (She must get that from her Mum ;) )
    I think that you've just been too overwhelmed with all the individual issues you have going on to be able to see the bigger picture, which is completely understandable.

But now you have a new plan it's onwards and upwards for Mooloo.
    Your new plan sounds like it will give you a much better quality of life in terms of work/life balance :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mooloo, if the Council have told you they are going to take an extra £10 per month but are actually going to take almost twice that amount, you really should query it. ((HUGS))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure