MSE Poll: Is it time to revalue Britain’s council tax bands?

Options
2»

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I notice from the results that it seems to be the under 45s who want a revaluation.
    Can it be that those of us who are cynical with age realise all that will happen iswe will simply end up paying more, whereas the under 45s are thinking that it is "unfair" somehow that other people seem to be paying less than they feel is right- so what?

You should always be careful what you wish for........
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    I notice from the results that it seems to be the under 45s who want a revaluation.
    Can it be that those of us who are cynical with age realise all that will happen iswe will simply end up paying more, whereas the under 45s are thinking that it is "unfair" somehow that other people seem to be paying less than they feel is right- so what?

You should always be careful what you wish for........

I don't see how my house can be anything other than band a. My house is still worth exactly the same as when I bought it, hence a reevaluation of prices wouldn't bother me in the least.

However I would also like a change to a personal charge as that would save me money.
    I don't see why I should have to pay virtually the same as my neighbours who have 4 adults there. I don't fill my bins etc each week so only put them out like once a month, other than when my neighbours borrow them and fill them up.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you accept that Council Tax is a tax based on property value then it makes no sense at all to base that tax on values which are 27 years out of date.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]However no government would order a revaluation because it would be a vote loser, because those who think they might be worse off will shout the loudest like they did in 2005 when the then nearly completed revaluation was cancelled.[/FONT]
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I don't see how my house can be anything other than band a.

You seriously think that anything with a roof that isn't multi-dwelling will stay in band A? :rotfl::rotfl:

I live in a shanty and it is band B, I'd better take the new polythene sheet off the roof, and get the settee and a load of scrap in the garden before they come round to re-value. :D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    the price will only go up so leave it alone or scrap it and come up with some thing fairer.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport