Paying for hotel when we get there

Options
HI All,
We are travelling to Majorca and need to pay the hotel bill once we get there, can you advise us on the best way to pay, the total bill will be approximately £5000

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would use my Halifax Clarity credit card.

The Barclaycard Travel credit card is also a good option. If you don't like credit you could open an account with the Starling Bank and pay with their debit card.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use the cards mentioned by G&D above, for your other expenses also, and always be sure that payments are taken in euros. They could try to bill you in pounds at their own terrible exchange rate if you're not careful (the choice should be given by the card terminal).
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Jac_D
    Jac_D Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Would the above be better options than taking cash, other than the obvious of loosing it !
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jac_D wrote: »
    Would the above be better options than taking cash, other than the obvious of loosing it !

Yes, because it will almost certainly cost you more to obtain cash than it will to pay by a perfect rate card. It's also very unlikely that your travel insurance will cover you for such a large amount of cash.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    Options
    A pre-paid Mastercard e.g. Post Office Travel Money card could be a good option as it allows you to purchase enough Euros and gives you a spare card in case anything happens to you main card.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    A pre-paid Mastercard e.g. Post Office Travel Money card could be a good option as it allows you to purchase enough Euros and gives you a spare card in case anything happens to you main card.
    Excuse me for pointing out that PO Travel Money is the worst kind of card, especially for a large amount. Lousy exchange rate to euros, fees and worse rate again to exchange any back. Keep your money in pounds until spending at the ideal rate with the best cards. Using your regular bank debit card as backup will not cost more than the PO card.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport