Moped provisional help!

RedWood1
RedWood1 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 13 May 2018 at 11:28AM in Motoring
Hello there, i'm justs wondering if anyone would know the answer to this as i cant seem to find it listed anywhere on the DVLA website;

So, im 15 and 9 months and i have just applied for my moped provisional, my question is; when i get my provisional licence whats stopping me from riding? I mean if i go and do my CBT and they ask to see my provisional how would they know im not 16?

So, once i get my provisionl can i do my CBT even though i'm under 16? And if i pass my CBT and get my bike insured, taxed etc. will i be able to ride?

Many thanks

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No .
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They would be able to see your DOB on the provisional.

Just do everything legally, you will save yourself a lot of ballache in later life
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    RedWood1 wrote: »
    So, im 15 and 9 months and i have just applied for my moped provisional, my question is; when i get my provisional licence whats stopping me from riding? I mean if i go and do my CBT and they ask to see my provisional how would they know im not 16?
    Your date of birth is printed on your license. The date the license is valid from is printed on your license and it won't be valid before your 16th birthday.
    So, once i get my provisionl can i do my CBT even though i'm under 16? And if i pass my CBT and get my bike insured, taxed etc. will i be able to ride?

Not until you're 16. Get caught riding it before and you're going to get well and truly shafted and you'll be banned from driving.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you're planning on riding before you're legally allowed, why even bother with the CBT/insurance/tax?

BTW, you won't find anybody that'll insure you before your 16th.
  • I never said i was planning on riding it before i was 16 it was only a question, maybe i worded it wrong but i would never do something that could get my licence taken away. Anyway guess i'll just have to wait another 3 months grrrr.... Thanks for the reply's everyone :)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I never said i was planning on riding it before i was 16 it was only a question, maybe i worded it wrong
    Maybe you did...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I got my provisional licence before I was 16 and along with your DOB, it has the categories you're entitled to on the back. The date for moped will be your 16th birthday and the date for car will be your 17th birthday. You can't just hop on a moped or drive a car just because you have a photo licence card in your hand.

Also no one will give you a CBT until you are 16 as you have to ride on the road to complete it.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Ah, the impatience of youth!

We all had it once, then the memory of it fades for most of us, but not for me, riding before I was insured. :( The memory shocks me (a bit) but it happened.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    Ah, the impatience of youth!

We all had it once, then the memory of it fades for most of us, but not for me, riding before I was insured. :( The memory shocks me (a bit) but it happened.

TBH I got a second hand moped when I was 16 and rode it to my grandparents to show them it before I had taxed and insured it. I did have a CBT though so thats one thing. :D

Had to wait a few weeks before I had the monies to do that!
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I never said i was planning on riding it before i was 16...

You didn't have to say it in as many words....

...guess i'll just have to wait another 3 months grrrr.... Thanks for the reply's everyone :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure