Dungeons and Dragons board games...returning to it in your 40s

Options
So..
I'm just wondering has it all moved on much.
Going to purchase from eBay .
Are there any other grown uppies who have returned to the quest?
Also is Talisman worth the expense
I'm thinking of starting a local group.:beer:

The annual AGM would be somewhat different to the rotary event :)

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2019 at 1:10PM
    Options
    I started D&D again a year ago or so. I do it with some mates about once a month. I used to enjoy it as a teenager, but hadn't thought of it until I found out a friend was running a group. As an adult in the working world it can be hard to find opportunities to be creative, especially in a social setting, so I find it a worthwhile activity.

There's also a wider community online now, so it's easy to find and share stories, ideas, characters etc.

BUT you are asking about D&D board games. My experience of these is they are not great. I have always been a board game player - if you are looking to get back into just board games I'd probably go for things like Pandemic, Through the Ages or Sythe etc. There's such a vast array of incredible adult board games these days. https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame / check youtube reviews.

Edit: Actually I forgot about Lords of Waterdeep, which is a D&D baord game and also awesome.
  • Kingsman365
    Options
    I started a club over a year ago after getting back into it into my mid 40's - we now have x30 members and meet up once a month to play across multiple tables on a variety of campaigns. We're based near Gatwick so if you happen to be local get in touch we have lots of new players as well as players returning to the game. We even started filming then live streaming the game sessions it's been great and although the rules have modernised and there's some really cool gear out there to buy (and I can afford that stuff now compared to back when I was a teenager!) it's still the same old D&D you remember.
    You can find our channel on YouTube just do a search for 'Band of Badgers'
    #dndbadgers
  • RaggyDolls
    RaggyDolls Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Board game geek looks good.
    Will have a look at suggestion. Cheers

Band of badgers ..will do

Thanks
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On BoardGameGeek, in the forums, there are sections for clubs by region. it's global, so there are single subforums for England, Scotland or Wales. But it's still a good place to scan through for clubs in your area. Or, if you can't see any, ask if there are.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Do you mean the tabletop RPG?

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport