Ex-partner's name off deeds

Hello
Is there any reason why I can't take my ex-partner's name off the deeds to the flat, but NOT the mortgage?

If I have their agreement to do this, is there any reason the mortgage company will not allow it to go ahead?

I don't want to speak to the mortgage company before I know if this is OK.

I would need a solicitor to do this of course and we would need to sign various documents.

Does this sound possible?

thank you

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Short answer - No.

Apart from the fact that the lender would not agree to it why on earth would you ex agree to continue to make payments on (and have a financial liability for) an asset that he does not benefit from.
  • The ex has already agreed to do it. There are perfectly sensible reasons for doing this. Are you speaking from legal expertise? Thank you
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You don't get legal expertise on this forum.....for that you need to pay a lawyer.

FWIW I can't see the lender agreeing to this either but then again I'm not a lawyer.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BoGoF wrote: »
    You don't get legal expertise on this forum
    You do from some of us! I agree with the answers already provided. Lenders invariably expect the owners and the borrowers to be one and the same.

OP, if you want more useful advice you may need to tell us what you're trying to achieve.
  • I need to get my ex-partner's name off the deeds but they have agreed their name can stay on the mortgage because it is too much borrowing for one person.
  • Yes, I am contacting a property solicitor as well. I'm not really expecting free legal advice. I am grateful for any responses.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you speaking from legal expertise? Thank you

I am not legally trained. However, your lender will confirm that the information is correct.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    No not an issue. If all parties concerned are agreeable.

If you ex is any sort of financial difficulties. Removing him from the deeds. Won't protect you from claims from creditors though.
  • There are a handul of lenders who do 'normal' mortgages and will allow the deeds to be in joint names and the mortgage in 1. I think HSBC do it direct but not through brokers unless that has changed.

There are also quite a few lenders who do Joint Borrower Sole Proprietor mortgages where the deeds are in 1 name but the borrowing in 2. Might be something that is suitable
    Criteria is really sticky with these so I would suggest sitting with a mortgage broker and checking they can approach the whole of the market. Some brokers may not be able to access the lenders you would need to do this.
  • Gosh, that's so useful. Thank you. I had a feeling it is possible so I will be able to take it forward with a bit of confidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure