What a Year.....Climbing Back on the Wagon

mumblingtaff
mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 7 May 2019 at 4:05PM in Debt free diaries
Hello!
I've been a member for years but slowly slipped away as life took over. Lots of things have happened in the past 6 months or so that have conspired against me and I need to retake control.
So I'm back!

To quickly recap the difficult past few months .....
I started a new job last September (I'm senior leader in a school) that has had its ups and downs but nothing I couldn't handle, Christmas came and went and I went away for a couple of days around new year to return home to find my house burgled, windows smashed and damage and mess in lots of rooms (including my bedroom) and my new car stolen.
Literally months of sorting things out followed (was without windows for 2 months due to the insurance company messing measurements up) but then finally got back to normal and had a nice new replacement car.
Then, in early March my beloved old dog passed away suddenly - he was the child I never had and it was awful. Things were difficult but I just got on with it and went away early in the Easter holidays for a nice holiday and then returned with OH to find out something that I won't go into here but has changed things. We're now what you would call estranged I suppose (we've never lived together but have been together for years).

Enough of the looking back - I now need to look forward.....

The house repairs, redecoration, new alarm system, broken boiler and plumbing issues, deposit for a new car, holiday and general frivolousness have started to take their toll and I need to get back to more sensible ways.
I'm haven't racked up any debt but some of my savings have had to be used and very little money has been put back into the savings accounts. That needs to change - I don't like spending all my salary and not putting money away for the future. It makes me feel insecure and I have enough uncertainty in my life at the moment!

One beacon of light in this whole saga is that I have a gorgeous new puppy - he's 6 weeks old and I'll bring him home in about 3 weeks time when I finish for half term. I've been to see him a few times and he's doing really well and the breeder has been outstanding, sending photos and videos every couple of days and allowing me to visit whenever I like - I could have brought all 5 puppies home with me but need to be sensible....
So, new beginnings are ahead - a fresh start.

Comments

• mumblingtaff
    So, now I've sorted out the backhistory it's time to get down to business and sort the finances out......

I've spent some of the day going through all of my finances, direct debits, bills and outgoings. To be honest, it was a bit of a wake up call - nothing disasterous that can't be sorted but I realise now how much things have added up.
    I've looked at my utilities etc and subscriptions and found a couple of things to cull. The Amazon Prime payment has now gone (barely used it), the balance on my credit card has been switched to a 0% new card and the old card put away in the back of a drawer to stop me using it apart from in an absolute emergency.
    I seem to be on a fairly good fixed deal for gas and electric, my mobile contract has a year to go on it and the insurances are as low as they can be.
    I'm debating on whether to cancel my audible account but I do use it and it's only £7 a month.....hmmmmm.....

I've already bought most of the things needed for the new puppy, so apart from his vaccinations and a puppy gate to stop him falling down the stairs he's sorted. The jabs, check up and worm and flea stuff will cost £60 so that's not too bad, and I've seen a good puppy gate for about £30.

I have a week's holiday in this country booked with OH in July (with the new dog) but only the deposit has been paid so far and unless things dramatically change in the next week or two it will be getting cancelled.
    I have put my half of the total cost into a separate account already so that could be used towards somewhere/something else.

On the smaller things front - I have plenty of food in the house to last until pay day next Wednesday, loads of toiletries and cleaning stuff and there should be enough petrol in the car to get me through too.
    I don't have any big plans between now and payday so no big outlays are expected. I have some free cinema tickets if I feel like a trip out on the weekend.
    I could do with a few new things in the spring/summer wardrobe but nothing that can't wait a while. I bought some new things for when I went away to the sun over Easter and it's gone cold here again now so I'm not bothering even looking for anything, will avoid shops for the foreseeable!

I have a hair appointment booked for a week on Saturday to get my roots retouched but I think I'll cancel it and do the colour myself this time - every 6 weeks at the hairdresser will be enough for now.

So, it's a start...... Feel better for writing it down :)
  • Welcome Back Taff,

Sorry to hear about your ups and downs.

Onwards and upwards!!

Happy shiny new diary xx
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Welcome back mumblingtaff. Are you still running?

Sorry to read that you have had such challenging times, hope things are picking up.
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    YOOOUUU'''RRRREEEE BAAAACCCCKKK! so good to 'see' you Taff
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • mumblingtaff
    Thanks Purple! It's good to be back :)

I realised that when I read the first two posts back that it sounds like all gloom and doom and I don't want to have that mindset so there are a few positives that I want to remind myself of....

1. My last check up was clear and I'm healthy (I have the breast cancer gene and take preventative medication)
    2. I now run at least three times a week and have conquered the 10k at last! I'm fitter than I was 15 years ago (I'm 47 now)
    3. My dad's prostate cancer is under control and things haven't progressed any further
    4. I have a fairly well paid secure job and am financially independent
    5. My lovely puppy will be home soon and it will get me out and about a couple of times a day every day again - back in the dog fraternity ;)
    6. The break in forced me to get lots of little household jobs done and things redecorated or fixed so the house is in fairly good repair at the moment.
    7. There's only 2 and a half months until the long summer holiday ...... :)

See things aren't so bad ...... ;)
  • mumblingtaff
    Starmummy and Red - we cross posted! Thank you for the welcome back :)

And yes I'm still running - actually enjoying it now and am doing the Manchester 10k in two weeks time - who'd have thought!!!! ;)
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi :wave:

Sorry to hear things haven't been good.

Good to hear you have a new fur baby :D

Following to support ya ;)
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Pink_Butterfly
    Pink_Butterfly Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Oh I’m so pleased you’re back! I missed reading your posts... I’m so so sorry about your dog going to doggy heaven :( I know how much you loved him. Also sorry to hear about your relationship. You are one strong lady though and you’ll be just fine :)

Can’t wait to read about the new puppy! Bless, I bet he’s adorable.

Take care x
  • mumblingtaff
    Thank you Uncanny and Pink! I forgot just how friendly and supportive everyone is here - it's really bucked me up.

I ran 10k yesterday and my legs are a bit stiff today so I've just been for a half hour walk this afternoon to the little tesco for some squash (I'm not in work today, was up a lot in the night with a really upset stomach but it's passed now and I'm fine again). I do feel a bit lazy though and might go for a stroll again this evening for some fresh air. This is when I really miss having a dog.

Other than sorting the finances and going for a walk, I've done little else today so I'm going to get up off my bum and give a dog crate that a colleague gave me a good clean. That should take a while as its been in his garage for a few years.
    Then I'm going to put the hoover round downstairs and make some tea out of fresh things in the fridge so they don't go to waste. Feel very sloth like today - I'm usually so busy that sitting down feels alien. Right, up and at 'em!!!
  • mumblingtaff
    Have finally done something productive and given the second hand dog crate a thorough clean out in the back garden so got some fresh air too - it's come up really well and will certainly do the job for a while. I usually wouldn't have "preloved" things but my colleague was insistent that he didn't need it as his dog is now the size of a small horse and it was going to waste. That's saved me a good £40 ish, judging by the prices on them in Pets at Home. :)
    Whizzed the Hoover round and tidied the kitchen too.
    I've also changed the timer on the heating - it's too cold to turn off all together yet so I've compromised and put it on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening to take the chill off the house until it's warm enough to turn the whole thing off. My house is really well insulated so once it's warm it stays warm thankfully.

I've just remembered that I have two pairs of coloured summer jeans bought from Next in the spare room - I wasn't sure about them when I bought them and then promptly forgot they were there - going to try them on tonight and if they're not utterly fabulous they're going back -£50 so worth having back if I'm not thrilled with them. I can pop them back on the way home from work tomorrow if they need returning - saves me the petrol of going on the weekend - every little bit helps ;)

Going to make some potato salad from some Jersey Royals in the fridge, bake some corn on the cob and add a veggie burger for tea. Not wildly exciting but I fancy it. Then it's time to do a bit of ironing and get clothes ready for work for the next three days and settle down with a bit of telly.
    I'm happy that I'm back......thank you everyone xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport