WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Comments

• RickyB2000
    RickyB2000 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Isn't this an interest group full of powerful, influential people, many of whom know exactly what to do to keep being heard? It is probably hard to stop or ignore. Whether that makes them right.....

A bit like tube drivers, doctors etc. Regardless of the validity of their argument, they have powerful unions behind them that will strike if they don't like what they hear. They can't be easily ignored.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    they have powerful unions behind them that will strike if they don't like what they hear. They can't be easily ignored.
    How, exactly, will "unions" have strike actions to support WASPI?

It isnt legal now.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    RickyB2000 wrote: »
    Isn't this an interest group full of powerful, influential people, many of whom know exactly what to do to keep being heard? It is probably hard to stop or ignore. Whether that makes them right.....

A bit like tube drivers, doctors etc. Regardless of the validity of their argument, they have powerful unions behind them that will strike if they don't like what they hear. They can't be easily ignored.

WASPI claim they're unable to get jobs, so unlikely to be represented by a Union
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    RickyB2000 wrote: »

News to me as WASPI are very much playing the poor, powerless, abandoned widow card for all it's worth.

Or you might be referring to the backbench Labour MPs that have seen a bandwagon and jumped on it, but I wouldn't describe them as powerful and influential either.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    saver861 wrote: »
    WASPI must be right because they are still going after 8 months. [post edited for particularly twee sarcasm]

The Flat Earth Society is still going after 50 years. So the world must be a disc because if it was spherical the Flat Earth Society would have wilted away by now?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Malthusian wrote: »
    News to me as WASPI are very much playing the poor, powerless, abandoned widow card for all it's worth.

Or you might be referring to the backbench Labour MPs that have seen a bandwagon and jumped on it, but I wouldn't describe them as powerful and influential either.

Eventhough the main instigators are not poor.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Pennylane wrote: »

For goodness sake! Two young children have lost their mother and a husband has lost his wife and you use her death to try to promote the WASPI campaign.

Totally inappropriate!
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2016 at 8:17AM
    jem16 wrote: »
    For goodness sake! Two young children have lost their mother and a husband has lost his wife and you use her death to try to promote the WASPI campaign.

Totally inappropriate!

Please remember I didn't write the piece and this WAS her work of which she was very proud as were all her constituents and thousands of women she supported. You're the inappropriate one by ignoring the valuable work she did.

Are we to pick and choose which parts of her work as an MP we discuss just to suit you? She worked for Syrian refugees, The RVS, local causes and national causes like WASPI. Sorry if that bothers you!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Pennylane wrote: »
    Please remember I didn't write the piece and this WAS her work of which she was very proud as were all her constituents and thousands of women she supported.

It's not the article I have an issue with.
    You're the inappropriate one by ignoring the valuable work she did.

If you cannot see the difference between a journalist writing an article about the work that she did and a WASPI supporter coming onto a forum to promote the WASPI campaign using the article , then that says more about you than me.
    Are we to pick and choose which parts of her work as an MP we discuss just to suit you? She worked for Syrian refugees, The RVS, local causes and national causes like WASPI. Sorry if that bothers you!

I haven't seen Syrian refugees, the RVS etc posting on social media trying to promote their cause over the last 24 hours. I have, however, seen many posts and tweets from WASPI supporters doing exactly that.

This is neither the time nor the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport