Van Theft Insurance Claim

Our Peugeot Boxer was stolen from our driveway last week overnight. They smashed the small window next to our front door and were able to reach in to unlock it and gain access to our house whilst we slept upstairs. Judging by the state of the place, and the fact nothing else was missing, we think they were after my partner's work car (an Audi) but these keys were in his work bag in our bedroom and so they took the van. Unfortunately, we had bought the van with the aim to convert it and have both left our jobs in the new year to convert the van and then travel and all the materials to convert the van were sadly inside the van - so now all our honeymoon plans are destroyed.

Anyway, the insurance asked for the paper work and the second key. I watched my partner package it up, key included and tape the package up securely. He then sent it recorded delivery. Today the insurance people have called him to say the key wasn't in the packet - and appear to be querying if we ever had the key. I WATCHED HIM PUT IT IN. They could easily have lost it when opening the package and we would never know.

I think I am just really upset - I was a victim of a violent crime a few years ago and this has caused a huge wave of PTSD and upset. I literally haven't slept for nearly a week, and am having panic attacks at any small noise in the house. We just want the insurance to pay so we can replace the van and leave this house which is now just scary and not home anymore. What do we do if they keep pushing that the key never arrived?

Comments

• TSx
    TSx Posts: 851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you have a postage receipt showing the weight? They could compare this with the weight of whatever is left and it should show a difference. Just a thought.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not having the second key does not prevent you making a claim, it just means the Insurer may spend a bit more time satisfying themselves it's a genuine claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure