2019 Keep Moving Challenge

Comments

• I'm really trying this year to shift weight and i think i'm doing okay. Could be better but as long as i'm losing weight, i dont mind!

has anyone got any good tips to weight loss? i'm currently intermittent fasting however would be open to trying something else
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2019 at 8:52PM
    TubbyDown wrote: »
    has anyone got any good tips to weight loss? i'm currently intermittent fasting however would be open to trying something else

I struggle to see the appeal for fasting diets or any other gimmick diets.... I lost 5 and a half stone over the period of a year and a half by simply 'move more, eat less'. IE gong for walks as often a I could, and watched what I ate. No set plan, or following a set of rules made up by somebody else. However what worked for me, may not be ideal for others...

I started off with a simple rule - less of the junk! I quit sugary stuff (full fat coke, chocolate, sweets, fruit juice...) and replaced it with fruit initially (yes, still sugar but a lot less of it), then reviewed the quantity of what I ate when loss began to tail off, then towards the end for the last stone, calorie counted.

During the later part of my 2000 miles in a year walking, I admit I slipped with my eating and started to regain weight!

Sugar is evil stuff really. It's almost an addiction, your body starts to crave it. It takes a bit of time to get over this craving, but over 6-8 weeks, that craving starts to vanish and its much easier to say no, or even just not give it a 2nd thought!

"The truth about.... sugar" BBC documentary is an eye opener really and worth watch: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05n2bn7

Some people say have a cheat day, or meal. I tried to avoid this but again its down to personal preference.
    I must admit, I did have the occasional treat but it wasn't on a set day or a set goal, but aimed for something with no sugar such as a packet of crisps, or a sausage and egg barm at work.
  • I'm 25% of the way to my January goal of 100 miles :T

I am likely to be lagging behind my annual goal until the weather improves and I've had my surgery (so I can start walking to work again) but so far I'm quite happy with where I am!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • TubbyDown wrote: »

Water, water and more water!! When I'm actually being focused and doing well, what helps me over and above everything else is to drink loads of water. I drink if I'm bored, if I think I'm hungry, before a meal. Basically I won't eat anything until I've had a glass of water to check that what I think is hunger isn't actually just thirst! I'm a greedy !!!!!! and I seem to be incapable of differentiating between hunger and thirst..... Other than that, I've had success with both the 5:2 diet and boring old calorie counting! With calorie counting, I find the act logging my calories can sometimes be enough to put me off eating whatever it is I'm thinking about!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    TubbyDown wrote: »
    I'm really trying this year to shift weight and i think i'm doing okay. Could be better but as long as i'm losing weight, i dont mind!

I 2nd what SplanK says. ... move more eat less. Its quite simple really, unless you have a calorie deficit then you won't lose weight simple.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Although nearly 65 I am totally metricated, so in my eat less move more diet, I have targeted a weight loss of 30kg and cycling at least 5200km.

Got my first long ride in yesterday (111km) which brings me up to 200k for the month. Weight loss so far 4.3kg.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So the fitbit is helping me with the move more eat less theory… as in I am moving more and I have been doing daily challenges with friends and that makes me want to move more too. The dogs knackered! Just need to sort the eating, breakfast is the one to sort.
  • Felt quite panicked as my Fitbit stopped working earlier :eek:

Have now remembered that I have a step counter on my phone that I can check whilst waiting for replacement Fitbit to arrive :)

How is everyone staying motivated?
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just about! I was on for a good week last week until the weekend came around and I didnt do anything. Felt exhausted and the weather didnt help.

15.2 miles last week, total 38.2 (19.49 behind where I need to be)

However, 2lb loss taking me down to 14st 13 :)

I was eyeing up taking the day off this Friday coming to walk up Pen-Y-Ghent.... its been a very mild winter so far and very few of the tops have snow on them. Well, until I look at the forcast where they are predicting snow all day in that region!
  • 45.94 miles for my second week. :j

A bit more than last week. I'd like to get to over 50 a week but know from last year that it is quite a challenge to do that. Lets see what I can do. The neighbours dog is always so excited to see me. ;)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure