Can you get fit without a gym

Options

Comments

• halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you are really limited in terms of movement. How much do you weigh? On the good side weight loss is 80% nutrition, so if you post up a food diary we can probably pick out some areas to work on.

No idea how much I weigh... last time I did a BMI it was 58 I think.

I've done food diaries before for the dietitian and I don't eat that unhealthily, I just eat too much... esp protein. Carbs take longer to cook than I have the patience to wait for. Its like I eat without being aware that I'm even eating a lot of the time.
  • TomokoAdhami
    TomokoAdhami Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "YES". Surely, you can get fit without joining any gym or even without buying DVDs or other stuff. Just improve your diet habits, decrease the calories intake, take more water and live an active life. Primarily, better to do the work in standing position that you do while sitting. Moreover, it is also good to cut off the carbs intake from your diet and add fruits and meat like fish, beef etc.
  • Topiary
    Topiary Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE

Really good beginners yoga video with excellent instructor

I do this each morning approx 20minutes
  • sannytwist
    sannytwist Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a nearby park you can go to. If you walk around up hill and down hill everyday , start off just 20 minutes or whatever you can do then increase it by 5 to minutes a day. Worked for me especially after a meal. Helps digest and if you listen to some music time flies.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    halogen wrote: »
    At the moment I can't walk very far without pain... maybe the distance across a small supermarket carpark. Being on my feet standing is worse- normally can take 5 mins of that. I am aware that I may have an underlying health issue -GP and Physio don't agree on that though- but getting fitter would help it.

I did approach my local gym about their 'back to fitness' programme but they wanted £99/month which is out of my league. Also I tried a trial session there and I was in tears by 1/2 way through.

Swimming is also not possible due to accessibility issues at the local pool.

The physios have discharged me to the local NHS get fit service but their opening hours are not compatible with my working hours.

So given that walking/standing/swimming are not options presently, what can I be doing to increase my metabolic rate even a little to get healthier? I do also need to lose 2/3 of my body weight but I'm not thinking that's going to happen by excercise

I doubt exercise will help you lose much weight, and being overweight means excess stress on joints and damage too. I suspect you need to find out why you overeat, if there are ways to stop doing it. I can’t really understand as I don’t find it hard to cut back. Can you see someone on the NHS who can help?
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt exercise will help you lose much weight, and being overweight means excess stress on joints and damage too. I suspect you need to find out why you overeat, if there are ways to stop doing it. I can’t really understand as I don’t find it hard to cut back. Can you see someone on the NHS who can help?

Don't think so. I managed to self refer to a dietitian, as my GP had never even mentioned my weight, but that didn't help. Did try private hypnotherapy as well but that didn't help either.

I'm also fairly sure that I couldn't get surgery on the NHS either- my GP was horiffied when I mentioned it.
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/ for free guided walks in your area lasting between 10 and 90 minutes, with first aiders on hand. Some are slow ambles along pavements, some are more cross-country.
  • jeanericblass
    Options
    Yes there are number of home work out routines that you can opt for to stay fit without gym. But the point is its not the gym that keeps you fit its your consistency and your motivation. :)
  • xGogsx
    xGogsx Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home and a television right in front of it - so those evenings when I'd just be sitting on the sofa watching telly, I jump on the treadmill for an hour and watch tv while i'm exercising.

It feels a little bit less like work when you're doing something else you'd be doing anyway at the same time.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As the above post.

I have an exercise bike with a 20k flywheel in the bedroom with a T V in front of it.

I watch the evening news on it most nights and time passes without noticing.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure