Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Also had a failed call.

Paying £143 a month. Nothing to offer me, said to try phoning again in a couple of weeks time. Just as annoyingly they won't renew the (annual pay up front) line rental saver. No longer offered apparently.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    silvercar wrote: »
    Also had a failed call.

Paying £143 a month. Nothing to offer me, said to try phoning again in a couple of weeks time. Just as annoyingly they won't renew the (annual pay up front) line rental saver. No longer offered apparently.
    Seriously? You're paying £143 a month plus line rental paid in advance?
    You must have everything and then some for that. Multiple lines? Business contract?
    If you are a domestic customer, tell them you're leaving, and do so.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• silvercar
    victor2 wrote: »
    Seriously? You're paying £143 a month plus line rental paid in advance?
    You must have everything and then some for that. Multiple lines? Business contract?
    If you are a domestic customer, tell them you're leaving, and do so.

Just checked it is £136.50- VIP bundle @ £117.50 and line rental @ £19.

Last month's bill was £87.50. I'd paid LRS up front and had a £26 discount each month. Both now disappeared.

VIP bundle
    Full house TV (includes 2 x V6 box and 1 x Tivo)
    Sky Sports & cinema collection
    200MB broadband
    Talk More anytime
    line rental.

Not willing to compromise on broadband speed or packages really.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 November 2018 at 3:34AM
    silvercar wrote: »
    Just checked it is £136.50- VIP bundle @ £117.50 and line rental @ £19.

Last month's bill was £87.50. I'd paid LRS up front and had a £26 discount each month. Both now disappeared.

VIP bundle
    Full house TV (includes 2 x V6 box and 1 x Tivo)
    Sky Sports & cinema collection
    200MB broadband
    Talk More anytime
    line rental.

Not willing to compromise on broadband speed or packages really.
    3 boxes is a killer - they will always use that against you...
    I used to have Full house with Sky Sports and Cinema on 2 x V6 boxes plus talk weekends and 200mb broadband for £113 total when all my deals, loyalty discounts, special offers expired.
    Finally got bored with annual ritual of negotiating decent offer (which was always inferior what others people were getting) and got rid of TV and phone altogether which left me with BB only for £43 - cancelled that and got from retentions half the price for half the speed (which is more than enough) - happy with that; now have BB only from Virgin and Freeview TV - missing a sport really but somehow monthly savings of £90ish soften the blow :j
  • silvercar
    3 boxes is a killer - they will always use that against you...

Doubly annoying because when I transferred to Virgin that 3rd box was a freebie given at the time of installation to make the whole set up work. The engineer installing phoned back to Virgin and arranged for it to be added to the account for free.

Then virgin said the box was too old to support the channels we had and so upgraded it from a basic V box to a V6, again for free as it was them that couldn't support my package on the box they had supplied.

Then one of the other boxes was upgraded to a V6 from a Virgin Red offer.

So all these box upgrades were free, but consequently I can't get package discounts.
  • Fun times with VM at the mo. Been with them for many years, since it was Telewest. They are not the cheapest but do an annual haggle at this time of year. Product seems good and tv freeview reception is poor so their basic tv is useful. But with streaming services these days.....not so necessary.

Been doing the line rental saver up front for years. Year before last was paying £23 on top a month for lowest bb and tv. Last year they came up with some new deal, new customer number. £14 on top of lrs. This month they want £32 and, as lrs coming to an end without notice, next month want over £50 inc line rental. I said about cancelling on Saturday and told contract runs to July. This is untrue. Phoned back today and cancelled.

There was no attempt to keep me. It would be more convenient to stay but there is the 30 day notice period to see what happens. If they don’t offer some sort of deal I guess I will cope with a change.
  • Dear MSEs

I've benefitted from peoples advice on here so wanted to let people know how I got on today with my Virgin haggle.

Background
    We've been with VM for years and seen our monthly bill creep up. For the past year we have been paying £51pm for phone (inc weekend calls), broadband (100Mb/s) and player TV (freeview basically) with a Tivo box which we used for recording things and which also allowed easy access to some things like BBC iPlayer. No Sky, BTSport or anything else added.

We do not have a landline phone line so switching would have needed this to be included in the cost. Our TV aerial was also broken so I would have needed a new aerial to get freeview channels via the TV.

I had previously asked VM about getting one of the new V6 boxes (updated version from the TIVO) but they were unwilling to do this unless I paid a one off £90. Although they did say that there is plan to update all VM customers to the V6 box for free in the next 6months.

Preparation
    Thanks to the advice on mSE I did my homework about switching and found deals with NOWTV and BT

Now TV offered: Fab Fibre @ £25pm with Broadband at 30Mb/s and anytime phone calls. On this 12m package a new landline would have been installed for free and there were no other setup, one off or delivery fees. I would have needed to sort the TV aerial and get Freeview working plus maybe get a PVR to record TV (I reckoned about £100 for the aerial and a similar amount for the PVR). At £25pm this was the cheapest I could find but it did reduce our services and the NowTV router only had 2 ethernet ports and looked a bit dodgy in some reviews.

BT offer: BT would give me Broadband at ~40Mb/s (they would send a Smart Hub Router), the TV would include BT sport and their Youview+ Tv box (acts as a PVR for 300hrs of TV and a phone line with incweekend calls. There was a one off fee of £29 for delivery and activation but installing a new phone line was again free. BT would also install a new TV aerial for £80 and this would be needed for the You view+ box to get the freeview channels. So this was similar to our current package but added BtSport and came to £40pm plus a total of £109 in setup and aerial fees.

Speaking to VM
    With all this in my head I went to VM and asked to get through to the Retentions (options 1,1, 4, 5 after you ring the main number.) I said I wanted to cancel my package and they automatically started asking what they could offer to help me to stay. I mentioned the two offers above and that I wanted to reduce my bill and/or have better services included. I think knowing that I could get the above two options made my negotiating much stronger. I was calm and polite throughout and used some of the silences techniques that Martin includes in the 'How to Haggle tips'. Without too much effort I was offered my current package at £36pm (12m contract). When I asked about BT Sport they said that was difficult to discount in any offer. I said that in that case I would cancel after all (and I would have gone through with this cancellation). They then offered me my current package plus SkySports at £51pm or SkySports HD for £57pm (again 12m). I asked to think about it and on ringing them back I went for the £57pcm with SkySports HD but managed to get a £30credit to my account. So the bottom line is that I am now paying VM £6 more than I was but have managed to get SkySports HD and have a Sky Sports App which works on my iPad. From my perspective this new deal felt like a successful negotiation and, to be fair to the VM people I spoke to in retentions, they did seem to be reasonable and improved their offer without too much huffing and puffing.

I just wanted to share my experience with people on MSE so you have something to compare with when you try and haggle with VM. I think doing some careful reading around beforehand and having a genuine, costed, alternative to switch to helped me.

kind regards
  • SavinNewbie
    SavinNewbie Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had a haddle with virgin today. I have vivid 350, tv player and international calls anytime. Pay £54 a month. Contract ends end of May so I phoned and got put through to retentions. My alternative would be an adsl+ modem with plusnet or nowtv at £30 without international calls and slower 60MB and no tv.

Price was going up to £76 a month so I would have moved. Offered £56 a month which I accepted. I tried removing TV or international calls but there was no difference so I will be paying an extra £2 a month but keeping the same services. A good result:T
  • hr100
    hr100 Posts: 153 Forumite
    I got no where

They want to charge me £59 a month for 100mb broadband and the basic tv package!!
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    hr100 wrote: »
    I got no where

They want to charge me £59 a month for 100mb broadband and the basic tv package!!

Could we have some more info?

Such as....did you request a cancellation?

If not, this is your first step. If youre thinking about telling us that "you have to have something" then this is not an excuse. Request your cancellation and if njothing works out, you ask to be re-instated (swallow your pride - seems to be an issue with alot of people to not want to do this for fear of losing pride and dignity??)

However once you put the cancellation in i can assure you that you WILL pay something cheaper if you follow the haggle rules even a little.

Before you say "i shouldnt have to haggle ive been loyal for X 100 years" well time to wisen up. Its all about the bottom line for a company of this size.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback