inland revenue

Options
Hi all.
I read with interest about making a full and final offer to pay off debts.
I owe the inland revenue 10k and the best arrangement was to pay the debt within 3 years , plus pay all new tax bills on time ( I am self employed)
This means that I am paying them £300 a month plus I have to set aside about the same again for next years tax bill.

So, every month I have to pay £700 in tax to them ( plus other debts)which, believe me, is making life very hard. The IR scared me into doing this by threatening bankrupcy , whilst although I have few assets I didn`t want to do . I thought I would just have 3 bad years and then after that life would be brilliant with the extra money to spend.

Anyhow my question is , I realise that making a full offer ( say50-80%) might work with visa and the like , would it work with the Inland revenue?

Any ideas please?

If anyone thinks " I pay my taxes, why shouldn`t he?" thats fair enough, but I made mistakes, got behind with income tax and now I am genuinely just scraping by for now . In fact depending on work bankrupcy is still a possibility.

Paul
On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.

Comments

• WiseSteward_2
    Options
    Hi Paul

Sorry to read of your problems with the IR. This is particularly difficult when self-employed.

Also sorry to have to say that generally F&F settlement offers are not effective with priority debts, i.e. debts to creditors who have strong legal remedies available to them, e.g. Repossession, Eviction, Attachment of Earnings, Freezing of bank a/c's, CCJ's, Bankruptcy, Imrisonment.

Sometimes F&F offers may be accepted in respect of long-outstanding arrears of such debts, but usually other recovery action will have been taken well before this status is reached.

If your self-employment would be viable if you didn't have these debts and providing you do not own/part own the property where you live or your business premises, if any, then Bankruptcy is well worth considering.

You could continue with the same self-employment, provided you traded in the name in which you went bankrupt, and the business assets such as equipment, machinery, tools, vehicles, stock would be still available for use if shown to be necessary for continued trading. Ongoing expenses and liabilities would still have to be paid, of course, but debts outstanding at the date of bankruptcy would be written off subject to your ability to make any instalment payments during the period of undischarged bankruptcy (usually 1 yr in England & Wales).

Other factors may come into play if you have previously been bankrupt or if there is evidence of fraud or other illegal activity.

It is advisable to get professional FREE advice and assistance prior to and during the bankruptcy process, particularly when a business/self-employment is involved because of the additional financial records and paperwork.

There's loads of FREE help and info available. Check out the bankruptcy links in my other posts on this subject.

Very best wishes, Graham B
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for thr reply Graham,
    All makes sense and certainly worth thinking about.
    If I can pay the £300 tax a month for 3 years ( plus £160 a month on another debt for a year ) I will be a free man . Clean credit file and no debt, plus an extra £300/£460 a month to spend then can think about getting a mortgage again.

If I can pay it I will but if I cannot pay it I cannot pay it, simple as that really. They can`t eat me ! The only thing I can lose is my credit score looking at it logically , well and be stuck in rented accomadation untill I die as going bankrupt dosn`t look good on a mortgage application.

Looks like I just gotta do my best with this one . It could be worse, as the saying goes " sad was the man with no shoes untill he met the man with no feet "

If anyone reading this has recently or is thinking about startying up self employed I would offer this advice ( me!! offering advice!!!!!!!!!!)
    Open a 2nd bank acc and transfer say for a figure 15% of your turnover into it everytime you pay in at the bank, the moneys not missed and the IR is off your back.

Well, thanks again and any more advice is appreaciated.

Paul
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • mattp_3
    mattp_3 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    Well more of a ratification than anything, but the WiseSteward hit the nail on the head as there is no way the IR would accept a F&F settlement - otherwise hundreds of self employed citizens would start saving a lump sum and not pay their taxes then try to offer part of the lump sum in settlement!

So they can't take the risk of this - they are more likely to enforce the debt via repossession, attachment of earnings, charging orders and bankruptcy etc

The IR will vote on IVA's however, but by the sound of it you can afford to pay the arrears and you would be best to carry on living a cheap lifestyle until things get better.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I gotta tighten me belt untill they are off my back.

Good job I like egg on toast.( half joking)

Paul
  • Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    Options
    Beans could be an option, blue stripe for 7p a tin or something ;)
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure