PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent €58.28 today, leaving me €143.85, or €6.85 per day until the end of the month...been a bit upset over weekend so spend went a little out of control...will get back to it to-morrow...I hope.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • kirstenc
    kirstenc Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

Its my shopping day today so I am currently doing my list of stuff for it so I dont go over. I am hoping for £50 (as DS needs some school stuff and that is budgeted in groceries!)
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me 2 - shopping day for me. Will be doing my usual and getting shopping before starting work so will update after I finish work tonight. Hoping not to break the budget this month but I have a list of bits I could do with and I have already spent nearly half my budget so its not looking likely smiley-confused013.gif
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Well I havent had much to buy just lately. Spent the weekend at my BF's. However I had an Asd@ voucher, so the few things I got, became nuteral.
    But yesterday I was doing some baking at BF's and so I had a little spend on sugar and nuts, and herbs. So I spent £5.85 in mr.S.
    Just going to update my signature now.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of spends yesterday have pushed my current food spend up and I will have to watch the pennies if I am to come under budget this month.

I hope you don't mind but I need your help this morning please. I bought 7.5kg of white potatoes on Saturday as a favourite meal of mine is my jacket chips where I cook 1.5kg of spuds in the microwave on the jacket potato setting. I do this in the morning and leave them on the side to go cold while I am at work.

When I get home from work, I finely slice and cook on baking trays with frylight - end result jacket chips :D

Only trouble is, when I bought the spuds on saturday, i went for the cheapest option and to be honest they are horrible so now I dont want my jacket chips because I normally use maris piper spuds and the basic white spud is not the same!

So with rather a lot of potatoes sitting on my kitchen side, i am after ideas on how to use them all up !! Many thanks.
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    morning all,

had a couple of nsd's!!! very unlike me.... so today will break that as hubby would like a couple of things

Flat Eric,how about making a load of mash up and freezing? or soups? or maybe making up the chips but doing them with some spices on so they are flavoured a bit more?

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• xbec
    xbec Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm new to MSE and to budgeting (erk!). I never really got a handle on my finances before, but now I need to, so I have a squeaky new spreadsheet and I'm ready to go. Late to join the forum but I've been budgeting through August so far.

August's budget is £300, and I'd like to get it down by £10 a month to about £250 at the moment, then reevaluate. So far this month I'm on £234.44, which includes one big shop and a wad of cash that I've taken out to cover milk, bread, fresh fruit and veg that I haven't spent too much of (but I don't know exactly how much I've got left) - so I haven't spent that total yet, but it's the best total I can give.

Going to read through the thread a bit more now.

Good luck everybody!

Bec
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just realised in my flu addled mind that I need two giant yorkshire puddings to put the sausage and mash for tea in. Also, OH has decided that he wants to take sarnies to work as the sandwich man is on holiday - I have bread rolls in the freezer but he wants ham to put in them. Could also do with more toilet roll - the giant Makro bag has now run out (after about 3 months so not bad really).
    I'll pop to Mr T's later on - will try to keep it below a fiver - I only need 3 things!
  • Miss-spent_2
    Options
    Hi updating sig here.
    Just returned from Tuscany which was more expensive than expected due to Euro rate.
    I am having a family gathering on Sunday for about 10 adults, 3 children and need ideas for a cheap summer spread. Mum's making two cakes, I have blackberries and apples growing in the garden so I could probably do something with thoses but i'm not sure what. I am going to make a triffle and will get strawberries and cream so thats desserts covered.
    Any cheap main course ideas? I have a pound of mince in the freezer.
    (Don't want to do a BBQ)
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    Miss-spent wrote: »
    Hi updating sig here.
    Just returned from Tuscany which was more expensive than expected due to Euro rate.
    I am having a family gathering on Sunday for about 10 adults, 3 children and need ideas for a cheap summer spread. Mum's making two cakes, I have blackberries and apples growing in the garden so I could probably do something with thoses but i'm not sure what. I am going to make a triffle and will get strawberries and cream so thats desserts covered.
    Any cheap main course ideas? I have a pound of mince in the freezer.
    (Don't want to do a BBQ)

well if you have mince how about a mild chilli then split into two pots so you can spice up the adult one, served with jacket spuds or wraps?

or meatballs, easily cooked in the oven, i just chuck them in the baking tray with a couple of tins of toms and some herbs, some chopped onions and carrots and anything else you fancy, maybe some red wine.

ummm hm burgers with cheese in the middle, very nice and the oozy cheese is scrummy, blue cheese for the grown ups and maybe cheddar or mozzarella for the kids?

hth
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure